Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The danger of MySpace

The danger of MySpace (Page 2)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 05:31 PM

It'll be hard to put a stop to it. Companies perpetuate a lot of it, through non-standard capitalization (iPod), txt style spelling (Wii), and other such things like RAZR and Plays4Sure etc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It'll be hard to put a stop to it. Companies perpetuate a lot of it, through non-standard capitalization (iPod), txt style spelling (Wii), and other such things like RAZR and Plays4Sure etc.

Do you think internet communities help perpetuate it with a "who cares?" or "it's only the internet" sort of attitude that seems pretty prevalent?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 06:06 PM

Yes, and that's how it should be. There's no point in trying to tell kids to use proper spelling when txting on their tiny phones, or to stop splitting their infinitives in AIM convos.

Now, if these kids are using txting dialects in school for their papers, then their might be problems. But so far nobody has given an example of this.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2006, 06:09 PM

I've always said the rule against split infinitives is moronic, but I try to use proper spelling in all cases (and encourage others to do the same) because otherwise you get out of pratice.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 01:40 AM

The tone of myspace, AIM, txt messages, etc, is very casual. It would be inappropriate to txt someone using a formal tone, and it would probably alienate the person on the other end.
There is a wide line between casual tone and casual grammar. People can still write correctly and be casual at the same time. I have thankfully no friends who texts like this: "can u meet me ltr m8? cu soon. xox." Messages can be conveyed in clear language and grammar with text and yet be informal. Heck, with T9 it's even easier to write clearly than abbreviated sms-lingo.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 01:43 AM

Now, if these kids are using txting dialects in school for their papers, then their might be problems. But so far nobody has given an example of this.
http://www.textually.org/textually/a.../01/006797.htm
http://www.textually.org/textually/a.../12/006506.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2814235.stm

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2006, 04:56 AM

I use myspace to promote my band. Practically everyone i know has a myspace account, so what better way to announce shows then with a bulletin on the website?

As for people being in danger, that's their own damn fault. Not all the time, I'll admit. But I'd say 98% of the time it's simply because people neglect to hide personal information and are ignorant of the fact that just because it's the internet you aren't impervious to it's perils.

Websites like myspace will always be around, unfortunately so. I think we should focus more on educating the ignoramus instead of shutting sites down.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 08:03 AM

not a user of myspace, but i do enjoy the facebook and linked-in. that's as far as i'll go.

for the most part, it's a great way to stay in touch with the people you know, like an automatically updated address book.

but yeah, with something like myspace, everyone now gets their 15 minutes of fame and can be as voyeuristic as they want to be. it's a shame that kids have to lie about their age because they're so starved of attention.
F = ma

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine
I use myspace to promote my band. Practically everyone i know has a myspace account, so what better way to announce shows then with a bulletin on the website?

As for people being in danger, that's their own damn fault. Not all the time, I'll admit. But I'd say 98% of the time it's simply because people neglect to hide personal information and are ignorant of the fact that just because it's the internet you aren't impervious to it's perils.

Websites like myspace will always be around, unfortunately so. I think we should focus more on educating the ignoramus instead of shutting sites down.

I agree, I don't blame the problem on the medium itself.

kick52
Baninated
Jul 3, 2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Myspace is dumb I would rather spend time at MacNN.
whats wrong with the ol' NN?

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I can think of very few occasions on which the difference between "your" and "you're" actually matters — in general, it's impossible to mistake the meaning because of such a mix-up. More likely you mean they do it in cases where it doesn't matter, but somebody cares anyway.
There is something to be said for using basic correct grammar. I'm an engineer, not an english major, but I happen to find it very distracting when people misuse words when they write. In a way it doesn't "matter," but it will distract some of your readers and reflects poorly on you.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 02:35 PM

Wow. I'll be sure to never visit MySpace again- I would hate to be robbed.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

vexborg
Senior User
Jul 3, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
There is a wide line between casual tone and casual grammar. People can still write correctly and be casual at the same time. I have thankfully no friends who texts like this: "can u meet me ltr m8? cu soon. xox." Messages can be conveyed in clear language and grammar with text and yet be informal. Heck, with T9 it's even easier to write clearly than abbreviated sms-lingo.
Sucks. I've got an ever so annoying collegue, which in her messages (via a system called Field Centrix, or FX) writes things like this:

"CUSTOMER WOULD LIKE ATTENADNCE 2MORROW"

What does she save by not writing tomorrow instead of 2morrow? It annoys the hell out of me! And also, why all caps? I don't want ther to shout at me...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 01:18 PM

There are stupid and naive people everywhere. Guys if it sounds too good it is a lie. Like if a goergous woman want to have sex with you over the internet, it is a lie. Obviously that guy is going to use masturbation instead of running around and try to find sex everywhere.

As for the girls, where are the parents. It baffles me that parents do not have an inkling that their children are carrying guns and robbing people. Fourteen years old is not an adult and parents should monitor everything in their lives, communications, and see if the girls have guns under their underwears or in their purses.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
There are stupid and naive people everywhere. Guys if it sounds too good it is a lie. Like if a goergous woman want to have sex with you over the internet, it is a lie. Obviously that guy is going to use masturbation instead of running around and try to find sex everywhere.

As for the girls, where are the parents. It baffles me that parents do not have an inkling that their children are carrying guns and robbing people. Fourteen years old is not an adult and parents should monitor everything in their lives, communications, and see if the girls have guns under their underwears or in their purses.
^

You make me smile.

For the record, my friends and I use complete words and proper grammar when texting, however little we do it. It takes maybe .7 extra seconds to type 'you' instead of 'u' and typing 'to' is probably quicker than making a '2.'

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2006, 01:45 PM

How could a woman hide a gun under her underwears? Do you mean... inside?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
How could a woman hide a gun under her underwears? Do you mean... inside?
As if that was the worst of her mistakes in that post.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
As if that was the worst of her mistakes in that post.

It seemed like the most amusing to pursue

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 02:40 PM

I meant under their clothes.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 02:49 PM

Like if a goergous woman want to have sex with you over the internet, it is a lie. Obviously that guy is going to use masturbation instead of running around and try to find sex everywhere.
You want to clear up what the heck this means?

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 02:58 PM

You want to clear up what the heck this means?
The guy was horny and did not care about who he was going to meet. And he is going to think twice next time before he goes to meet some strange woman in her apartment. He is partly responsible for what happen here. When a woman meet someone she met on the internet, she is doing it in public. So, obviously the guy wanted just sex and pay for nothing. Next time, it looks so good as some extraordinerly beautiful woman wants to meet him for sex, he is going to think twice and masturbate instead.

republika
Jul 5, 2006, 03:07 PM

While I wouldn't disagree with you, I will say that I met my g/f on myspace and I couldn't be happier. My page was set-up purely for shits 'n' giggles; but... along comes this girl who just made the biggest impression on my life, ever.

Oh, I'm 34, she's 22 ANd, yeah, we've been going out for a while now, and it just gets better and better. I'm not one for ages and all that cr@p. I've dated older women, girls my age, etc, so her age wasn't an issue because we got on so great.

The key to things like online dating and so on, is to meet up very quickly, do NOT keep romance or relationship going for too long before meeting up for the first time.

I can honestly say that myspace has been nothing great for me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by republika
The key to things like online dating and so on, is to meet up very quickly, do NOT keep romance or relationship going for too long before meeting up for the first time.

I kept mine going on with my wife for a while before meeting, but maybe I'm the exception to the rule?

(I also didn't use MySpace).

republika
Jul 5, 2006, 03:12 PM

I kept mine going on with my wife for a while before meeting, but maybe I'm the exception to the rule?

(I also didn't use MySpace).

I guess it depends. But, I've heard, and been through a couple of online situations where I realised that meeting up as soon as poss. was the best thing to do, maybe because of how I am towards to people.
I am glad you and your wife worked out, and it takes away the stigma attached with meeting online when we have people, like yourself, who show otherwise.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by republika
While I wouldn't disagree with you, I will say that I met my g/f on myspace and I couldn't be happier. My page was set-up purely for shits 'n' giggles; but... along comes this girl who just made the biggest impression on my life, ever.

Oh, I'm 34, she's 22 ANd, yeah, we've been going out for a while now, and it just gets better and better. I'm not one for ages and all that cr@p. I've dated older women, girls my age, etc, so her age wasn't an issue because we got on so great.

I can honestly say that myspace has been nothing great for me.
Robbing the cradle! You do realize that she was a kindergartner when you were a senior in high school

JK, glad you're happy

republika
Jul 5, 2006, 03:26 PM

Robbing the cradle! You do realize that she was a kindergartner when you were a senior in high school

JK, glad you're happy

i KNOW! but... all of her friends and her family are just so cool with it. In fact, I didn't even relaize her age until after we got together; I was just chatting to her as a friend online, until one saturday she said, "let's go grab a drink". Then it just took off from there.

I know many will have differing experiences and thoughts, but I'm pretty glad she was in the same city as me, and be able to just, you know, be. lol

Thanks for the sentiments

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 03:34 PM

MySpace is fugly. 'Nuff said.

"Thanks for the add!"
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

republika
Jul 5, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
MySpace is fugly. 'Nuff said.

"Thanks for the add!"
yeah, it is that, it';s a bloody nightmare! Safari grinds to a halt when viewing my chicadee's page, she's got all this cr@p going on, little stars faling down.. ugh, it's rank.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2006, 12:09 PM

And he is going to think twice next time before he goes to meet some strange woman in her apartment....When a woman meet someone she met on the internet, she is doing it in public...Next time, it looks so good as some extraordinerly beautiful woman wants to meet him for sex, he is going to think twice...

ummmm, yeah...you STILL aren't getting out much I see. There's NO shortage of willing girls, perhaps not as many as tha boys, but quite a few nonetheless.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 06:51 PM

MySpace is terrible...

*COUGH*Jawbone54*COUGH*

Rumor
Jul 6, 2006, 07:13 PM

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by CMYKid
ummmm, yeah...you STILL aren't getting out much I see. There's NO shortage of willing girls, perhaps not as many as tha boys, but quite a few nonetheless.
Do you think a thirteen or fourteen years old are mature enough to take on a sexual relationship with a 30 years old pedophile, or any men in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Myspace attracts young teenage girls that think dressing like a tramp is a must and that it is ok to be disrespected. They live in a dream world, where they will think that an adult male can be in love with them and they will walk hand in hand into the sunset.

That was happened with the girl that flew across the world to meet with the guy she was corresponding with on myspace.

Also, the 13 and 14 years old that are half undressed on the internet do not think that they will attract the wrong kind of attention, just they like to be noticed and think they are following the fashion.

So, again where are the parents of those young girls? Why aren't they monitoring the internet actions of their teenage girls.

Not only you, but do you respect girls like that?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 11:35 AM

Do you think a thirteen or fourteen years old are mature enough to take on a sexual relationship with a 30 years old pedophile, or any men in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Myspace attracts young teenage girls that think dressing like a tramp is a must and that it is ok to be disrespected. They live in a dream world, where they will think that an adult male can be in love with them and they will walk hand in hand into the sunset.

That was happened with the girl that flew across the world to meet with the guy she was corresponding with on myspace.

Also, the 13 and 14 years old that are half undressed on the internet do not think that they will attract the wrong kind of attention, just they like to be noticed and think they are following the fashion.

So, again where are the parents of those young girls? Why aren't they monitoring the internet actions of their teenage girls.

Quick hint: It's "14 year olds"

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 7, 2006, 11:40 AM

I honestly wonder sometimes whether online communities such as MySpace and IM and other modern methods of communication are having a direct affect on the deteriorating quality of people's grammar and sentence structure in general.

I used to point out what I perceived as consistent grammatical flaws here, but this didn't go over very well (I've since given up this losing battle - not that my writing is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I try my best). I suppose that my mistake was in assuming that people wish to use forums to practice their good writing skills.

However, I've said it then and I'll say it again: it really bothers me that people still mistake they're/their/there, your/you're, etc. and other basic grammar mistakes that should have been corrected in the 3rd grade, and doing so when it actually does matter, and worst of all not even catching and self-correcting their own mistakes. (It also irritates me when people point this out that the reaction is to nit-pick the writing of the person who pointed out the mistake to try to prove that the person is hypocritical - an individual doesn't have to be the epitome of whatever to learn from him/her).

My point is that I sometimes think that MySpace and the like are contributing to this problem based on all of the idiotic (and often unbearable) writing I see there.
I agree, but I keep the faith and continue to correct idiots. It's what I do.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 11:41 AM

Quick hint: It's "14 year olds"
Why is it important?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 11:52 AM

Why is it important?
Sorry, but it's something you say in almost all of your posts. If I was posting on a foreign board, I would be glad if someone helped me out by showing areas in which I could improve my language skills.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2006, 07:23 PM

not only d'ya not get out much but you dont read apparently. i was referring to your assertion that there werent any real girls who'd say 'hey c'mon over to my place'. I didnt say anything about 14 year olds.

AANNNNNDD....not to further confuse you with facts but the girl that "flew across the world" was 17, and two or three years younger than the guy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules