Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Charge rape-victims for the investigation

Charge rape-victims for the investigation
Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2008, 05:30 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned here.....

WTF?

A less biased link....

How is it possible that the majority of white women favour McCain-Palin when Palin has been in charge of something like this?
( Last edited by Sayf-Allah; Sep 16, 2008 at 05:36 PM. )

"Learn to swim"

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 05:55 PM

Wow, that's really cold.

Palin's compassion for rape victims is sad. This sort of fits with her belief that rape victims should not be able to have an abortion... even if the father is her brother.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 06:54 PM

Stewart mentioned it last night.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Wow, that's really cold.
Well, it is Alaska we're talking about....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 07:06 PM

Palin wasn't responsible - non-story.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Do you mean she didn't directly order the police to do it, or that as mayor, she bears no responsibility for how the police in her town behave?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 07:14 PM

The former. It isn't as if she's ever gone on the record supporting such a policy, so it's wrong to smear her like that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 07:24 PM

Out of mild curiousity, as mayer did she ever go on record not supporting it?

That would be of more interest to me, and seem somewhat more significant in your scenario.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Do you mean she didn't directly order the police to do it, or that as mayor, she bears no responsibility for how the police in her town behave?
Both. He's right. Non-story.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 08:18 PM

The fact that the state legislature had to step in to correct her city's problems on her watch is a non-story? I'm not sure if the lack of responsibility that implies is better or worse than the alternative.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned here.....

WTF?

A less biased link....

How is it possible that the majority of white women favour McCain-Palin when Palin has been in charge of something like this?
I'm crackin' up. CNN and both of your links have the exact same Obama ad at the top right. Egadz. op ed much? Quit reading tripe that's trying to get a candidate elected President. You're being lied to. How is it possible that people have become so blinded that they feed on such nonsense without smelling any of it first???

The original source of the story was the Frontiersman, a Wasilla paper and the article was printed May 23rd, 2000 here;

Knowles signs sexual assault bill
Published on Monday, May 22, 2000 9:00 PM AKDT
JO C. GOODE / The Frontiersman / May 23, 2000

ANCHORAGE - Gov. Tony Knowles recently signed legislation protecting victims of sexual assault from being billed for tests to collect evidence of the crime, but one local police chief said the new law will further burden taxpayers.

The governor signed House Bill 270, sponsored by Rep. Eric Croft, D-Anchorage, outside the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) exam room at Alaska Regional Hospital. In attendance at the signing were members of victims advocate groups, law enforcement agencies and legislators.

The new law makes it illegal for any law enforcement agency to bill victims or victims insurance companies for the costs of examinations that take place to collect evidence of a sexual assault or determine if a sexual assault did occur.

We would never bill the victim of a burglary for fingerprinting and photographing the crime scene, or for the cost of gathering other evidence, Knowles said. Nor should we bill rape victims just because the crime scene happens to be their bodies.

While the Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies have covered the cost of exams, which cost between $300 to $1,200 apiece, the Wasilla police department does charge the victims of sexual assault for the tests.

Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon does not agree with the new legislation, saying the law will require the city and communities to come up with more funds to cover the costs of the forensic exams. In the past weve charged the cost of exams to the victims insurance company when possible. I just dont want to see any more burden put on the taxpayer, Fannon said.
According to Fannon, the new law will cost the Wasilla Police Department approximately $5,000 to $14,000 a year to collect evidence for sexual assault cases. Ultimately it is the criminal who should bear the burden of the added costs, Fannon said. The forensic exam is just one part of the equation. Id like to see the courts make these people pay restitution for these things, Fannon said. Fannon said he intends to include the cost of exams required to collect evidence in a restitution request as a part of a criminals sentencing.

The new bill would also make law enforcement agencies that are investigating a sexual assault responsible for the costs of testing victims for sexually transmitted diseases and emergency contraception.

So tell me Sayf, is this just sloppy feeding or did you know it was BS and posted it anyway??? I mean, you're all worked up about a police chief of Wasilla who disagrees with charging his district when it should be charged to the criminal?
ebuddy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 08:41 PM

Maybe I'm missing something. What in that story contradicts the info in Sayf's?
Chuck
___

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. What in that story contradicts the info in Sayf's?
The fact that the Police Chief does not want to charge the victim, he wants the courts to charge the perpetrator.
ebuddy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
The fact that the Police Chief does not want to charge the victim, he wants the courts to charge the perpetrator.
I think you've misread the article. That was the new policy (he "intends to" do it) after the law is passed. It says that he wants to charge the victim ("Police Chief Charlie Fannon does not agree with the new legislation"), but since he can't under the new law, he'll bill the perp to make up the cost. I think making the criminal foot the bill is a darn good idea, but he didn't decide to start doing it until he couldn't make the victim pay anymore.
Chuck
___

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 09:27 PM

To save anyone else the trouble of reading ebuddy's quoted story, it says the same thing as Sayf-Allah's second story.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2008, 04:26 AM

The original source of the story was the Frontiersman, a Wasilla paper and the article was printed May 23rd, 2000 here;

Knowles signs sexual assault bill

....snipped story I already posted......

So tell me Sayf, is this just sloppy feeding or did you know it was BS and posted it anyway??? I mean, you're all worked up about a police chief of Wasilla who disagrees with charging his district when it should be charged to the criminal?
Your article says the same as my second article. The only difference is that now the police chief wants to charge the criminal for this (which is completely acceptable). But that is after he was forced to stop charging the victim.

Care to address how this could have happened under Palin's watch?

OT: And you have no idea who I want to win this election. IMO no matter who gets elected it'll be more of the same for the rest of the world. The only difference is what effect it will have inside the US.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2008, 04:28 AM

How so?

This happened under her watch for 4 years. Are you saying she didn't know about this for all that time?

"Learn to swim"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 08:18 AM

Town of 9000â€Ĥ maybe there weren't many, or any, rape investigations? Or at least none that came to the attention of the general public?

greg

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 08:22 AM

greg, one of the articles says that it costs the city $5,000 to $14,000 a year, and quotes the cost as $300 to $1,200 per exam.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 08:23 AM

Hahaha....well look at that, guess I've been caught not reading articles again. Oh the shame.

greg

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2008, 09:57 AM

that seems like a lot of rapes for a town of 9000... 7 to 19? (averaging the cost range).

Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
that seems like a lot of rapes for a town of 9000... 7 to 19? (averaging the cost range).
Unfortunately rapes are a lot more common that people think.

from wikipedia:

According to United States Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, there were overall 191,670 victims of rape or sexual assault reported in 2005.[53] Only 16% of rapes and sexual assaults are reported to the police (Rape in America: A Report to the Nation. 1992).[54] 1 of 6 U.S. women has experienced an attempted or completed rape.[55]

"Learn to swim"

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

I understand Alaska has a larger then "normal" issue with rape, likely in some part due to men outnumbering women by more than 2:1 (IIRC).

If we go with Sayf's 16% reportage, the actual number likely falls somewhere in the 75-100 range for this particular group of 9,000 people.

Statistically, a bit over 1% of the town gets raped per year.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 11:24 AM

The former. It isn't as if she's ever gone on the record supporting such a policy, so it's wrong to smear her like that.
You were singing quite a different tune when it was Obama that had never gone on the record as supporting the policy ideals of Reverend Wright. Or as you would put it, "Obama wasn't responsible - non-story." Hypocrite.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 01:28 PM

My own suspicion is that the number of rapes will go up now that it doesn't cost $1,000 to report one. So the Palin Doctrine might well have reduced crime.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 07:58 PM

The Palin train-wreck keeps rolling...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 10:23 PM

This was a state wide policy, not just in Wasilla. It was also for the SA kit, not for the investigation itself. In any case the situation has been rectified.
45/47

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This was a state wide policy
No, it wasn't. There was no state wide policy, you are making crap up.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
No, it wasn't. There was no state wide policy, you are making crap up.
policy was a wrong choice of word. Other communities in Alaska were charging for the SAR kits as well.
The ABC story states that
Lawmakers became involved in 2000 when reports began coming in that police departments were charging sexual assault victims for the kits and the forensic exams, which cost from $300 to $1,200 at the time.
It says police departments, that means Wasilla was not the only one doing it. It doesn't make it right. Knowles threw in the dig at Wasilla (sour grapes) even though he knows Wasilla was not a "unique" situation.
45/47

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
You were singing quite a different tune when it was Obama that had never gone on the record as supporting the policy ideals of Reverend Wright. Or as you would put it, "Obama wasn't responsible - non-story." Hypocrite.
Not even remotely comparable. Nice name-calling, btw.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2008, 12:06 AM

Your article says the same as my second article. The only difference is that now the police chief wants to charge the criminal for this (which is completely acceptable). But that is after he was forced to stop charging the victim.
A. Not all rape investigations lead to rape convictions. i.e. not all claims of rape are legitimate. (let the flame-fest begin I know as if this is somehow unheard of)
B. There was ONE rape in Wasilla, Alaska 2004. Wasilla, Alaska crime stats, 2004
C. A May 23, 2000 article in Wasilla's newspaper, The Frontiersman, noted that Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies regularly pay for such exams, which cost between $300 and $1,200 apiece. These "rape kits" are used for a host of investigations including battery. The Chief of Police referred to them as "assaults" in his summary of the potential annual costs, unless you believe this (in some words) tiny town of 9,000 has what... 14 or more rapes a year? Again, crime stats show 1 rape in 2004.
D. It was not expedient in your article to include what Sarah herself says of the policy, you have no quote of what the Chief of Police had to say on the matter and how he thinks it should be handled nor do you have anyone from Palin's Gubernatorial Admin challenging or attempting to reverse the law authored by the previous governor.

Care to address how this could have happened under Palin's watch?
- Does she merely chair the city council as mayor, but lacks any special legislative powers? Fairly common. You can dirt dig if you want. That's all this whole thing is IMO. I mean, her personal email accounts are getting hacked for crying out loud. Enough is enough.
- How many rapes are there a year in Wasilla?
- I'd say in her six years busying herself with darn-near doubling the population of Wasilla, Several people were disenfranchised? Do we even know how many? This is unfortunate I agree and I believe the Chief of Police worded his response very poorly. If someone drives drunk and smashes my car, injuring either myself or my passengers, the city does not pick up the tab. If the criminal had not been located or if the crime was being investigated, guess who's paying my medical attention? My insurance. This is unfortunate, but investigations and convictions can take a long time.
- Someone crying for insurance companies??? I must admit, I'm shocked and that just doesn't happen here very often.
- There's too much missing from the story, too little understanding, and too much of something else. I'll call it Palinitis. I certainly hope nothing horrible is happening under any of our watches.

OT: And you have no idea who I want to win this election. IMO no matter who gets elected it'll be more of the same for the rest of the world. The only difference is what effect it will have inside the US.
I certainly hope it won't be more of the same for the rest of the world, there's a lot of work to be done both here and abroad. I guess I'm guilty of assuming we'd likely have a lot of differences on the necessary work Sayf-Allah. One candidate seems to favor one approach, the other candidate favors another. There are distinct differences with these platforms just as there have been many disagreements between you and I. I apologize if you're not secretly or otherwise supporting Obama for President.

You can call me a McCain supporter although I'm not sure you could call my support much more than "lack-luster". I'll be harder on him when he's in office.
ebuddy

Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2008, 07:06 AM

A. Not all rape investigations lead to rape convictions. i.e. not all claims of rape are legitimate. (let the flame-fest begin I know as if this is somehow unheard of)
B. There was ONE rape in Wasilla, Alaska 2004. Wasilla, Alaska crime stats, 2004
C. A May 23, 2000 article in Wasilla's newspaper, The Frontiersman, noted that Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies regularly pay for such exams, which cost between $300 and $1,200 apiece. These "rape kits" are used for a host of investigations including battery. The Chief of Police referred to them as "assaults" in his summary of the potential annual costs, unless you believe this (in some words) tiny town of 9,000 has what... 14 or more rapes a year? Again, crime stats show 1 rape in 2004.
D. It was not expedient in your article to include what Sarah herself says of the policy, you have no quote of what the Chief of Police had to say on the matter and how he thinks it should be handled nor do you have anyone from Palin's Gubernatorial Admin challenging or attempting to reverse the law authored by the previous governor.

- Does she merely chair the city council as mayor, but lacks any special legislative powers? Fairly common. You can dirt dig if you want. That's all this whole thing is IMO. I mean, her personal email accounts are getting hacked for crying out loud. Enough is enough.
- How many rapes are there a year in Wasilla?
- I'd say in her six years busying herself with darn-near doubling the population of Wasilla, Several people were disenfranchised? Do we even know how many? This is unfortunate I agree and I believe the Chief of Police worded his response very poorly. If someone drives drunk and smashes my car, injuring either myself or my passengers, the city does not pick up the tab. If the criminal had not been located or if the crime was being investigated, guess who's paying my medical attention? My insurance. This is unfortunate, but investigations and convictions can take a long time.
- Someone crying for insurance companies??? I must admit, I'm shocked and that just doesn't happen here very often.
- There's too much missing from the story, too little understanding, and too much of something else. I'll call it Palinitis. I certainly hope nothing horrible is happening under any of our watches.
Wow, you really are an expert in posting a whole bunch of unrelated BS. Are you a politician perhaps?

The facts are simple.

1. The town Palin was the mayor of charged women who were claiming to be raped for the investigation.
2. This went on for quite some time.
3. Apparently no other alleged crime-victims were made to pay for the investigation of the crimes they suffered in this same town.
4. Palin has yet to explain how this could have happened without her knowing it OR Palin has yet to explain why she didn't speak out against it while she was the mayor of the town.

Those are the facts that need to be addressed. The number of rapes doesn't matter. And this isn't about paying the medical bill you'll suffer after the crime.

This is about making (almost exclusively) women pay for the investigation of one of the most horrendous crimes possible. And you seem to have no problem with that at all.

And no, the SOEC kits are not used for other assaults. They are specific for sexual assaults.

"Learn to swim"

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 02:19 PM

DailyKOS has an unusual but interesting take on this issue: DailyKOS

And lest you think this is some liberal smear, WoldNetDaily thinks this is OK. Can't have the taxpayer paying for "abortion" (ie emergency contraception).

This makes me sick to my stomach.

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2008, 03:06 PM

appalling, but that kos article makes her POV clear.

and even if the police billed insurance, not everyone has insurance. The car crash analogy doesn't hold--the police don't charge you to show up, do an alcohol test on the other driver, do their paperwork... whether you have to repair your car or not is unrelated to the investigation. If the rape victim has to be hospitalized for broken bones or counseling, just like you in your car accident, yes insurance will come into play.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2008, 09:13 PM

Wow, you really are an expert in posting a whole bunch of unrelated BS. Are you a politician perhaps?
Not at all. I'm a reasoned person who doesn't buy up nonsense at first blush because it happens to support my candidate of choice.

The facts are simple.

1. The town Palin was the mayor of charged women who were claiming to be raped for the investigation.
No. The alleged rape victim's insurance is charged for a rape kit. The rape kit is designed to affirm the crime and collect evidence regarding it. We have a Police Chief who opposed Gov. Knowles proposed legislation for the city to pay for the kit. It is sad, but understandable how this could have been viewed as an immediately necessary medical procedure. If a drunk driver nails my car and I choose to go to the hospital, the city does not pick up the tab. That is a fact in Wasilla just as it is in your own town.

2. This went on for quite some time.
How do you know? How many "victims" were charged for this kit? Crime stats show 1 rape in Wasilla in 2004. I gave you the link above. Yes it does matter how many women were raped. 20 rape cases is a lot louder than 1. While equally tragic in many respects, certainly more quiet. You claim to want to know how this could've happened. It seems you've already made up your mind. She probably likes the taste of babies. This'd make a good ad. You could have what's-er-face who likes to depict McCain as a monster have little bloody babies coming off her fangs and fire in her glasses.

3. Apparently no other alleged crime-victims were made to pay for the investigation of the crimes they suffered in this same town.
I guarantee if someone is injured in a crime and the perpetrator is not found, the victim's insurance will in fact be billed for any medical examinations and subsequent treatment. I agree, it sounds absolutely horrible. That's why so many are picking up the non-story.

4. Palin has yet to explain how this could have happened without her knowing it OR Palin has yet to explain why she didn't speak out against it while she was the mayor of the town.
We don't even know if she was aware. I verified that she has no legislative power and in fact can't even vote on a matter unless it is to break a tie in the council. City of Wasilla

We don't know how many "victims" there were. All we know is the Police Chief of Wasilla was opposed to a law proposed by the preceding governor. This was such a horrific policy that she was not only elected as mayor twice, but then elected governor with an astounding approval rating. Is it possible this story is missing something? You bet.

Those are the facts that need to be addressed. The number of rapes doesn't matter. And this isn't about paying the medical bill you'll suffer after the crime.
I absolutely agree that it should be addressed by Palin directly and not feeble statements like; "she's always stood up for the people of Wasilla" if nothing more than defending herself against a horrible sounding non-story.

This is about making (almost exclusively) women pay for the investigation of one of the most horrendous crimes possible. And you seem to have no problem with that at all.
I have no problem saying the act of billing a rape victim for a rape kit is deplorable. Did we assume "bill it to the victim's insurance when we can" meant, "otherwise we charge the victim" or could it have meant "otherwise we foot the bill". Of course there's no room for a sober assessment. I also think this situation is a sad reality of something enacted (not by Palin that I know of) that continued to slip through the budgetary cracks as a one sentence blurb on an exhaustive enough city financial communique.

Claiming I may have no problem with it at all is a bully tactic. It might make you feel better, but it is meaningless. This coming from someone who, I presume would recommend Jewish women "learn to swim" also?

And no, the SOEC kits are not used for other assaults. They are specific for sexual assaults.
They are certainly focused on evidence collection via carefully documented medical procedure. They are specifically designed to confirm the presence of a known suspect's DNA, corroborate a victim's version of events, and/or exonerate innocent suspects. They affirm the crime and collect DNA evidence of the perp. They may also address the personal choice of the victim for an ECP.

On one point I somewhat agree with you. There is enough bureaucratic negligence that it should be challenged as such. I think it'd behoove her to address this head on and in an honest manner. Claiming she was in charge of billing rape victims, claiming she enacted or supported billing rape victims, claiming as some have that it's because of the subsequent ECP, etc... is just picking fights.
ebuddy

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 09:47 PM

If the city of Wasilla was against paying for emergency contraception, then they should charged the victims for emergency contraception. The costs for that are marginal - about $20 - compared to mentioned costs of the investigation (plus emergency contraception). All victims would have been able to cover those costs themselves.

But to charge the victims of a crime, and such a hideous one, the costs of the investigation is outrageous, unthinkable, cold-blooded and mean. That this was possible in the USA where one would have expected Rechtsstaatlichkeit, is unbelievable.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
If the city of Wasilla was against paying for emergency contraception, then they should charged the victims for emergency contraception. The costs for that are marginal - about $20 - compared to mentioned costs of the investigation (plus emergency contraception). All victims would have been able to cover those costs themselves.

But to charge the victims of a crime, and such a hideous one, the costs of the investigation is outrageous, unthinkable, cold-blooded and mean. That this was possible in the USA where one would have expected Rechtsstaatlichkeit, is unbelievable.
I have it on good authority that Palin likes the taste of babies. She kicks puppy dogs too.

Do we even have one woman who was actually charged for a rape kit? One? Link please.
ebuddy

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 09:04 AM

ebuddy, the chief of police said that they collected $5,000 to $14,000 every year in your own article. This would have to be for a number of rape investigations, regardless of the number of convictions. Good luck figuring out the truth on this---I'll think you'll never get it any more than we'll ever hear whether Palin has ever had any connections with Russia---but I think that is what you deserve for supporting a dishonest candidate.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 09:30 AM

I have it on good authority that Palin likes the taste of babies. She kicks puppy dogs too.
Why are you spreading such vicious lies about our Sarah?

She actually kicks babies and eats puppies.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 09:35 AM

pedophiles are not good people.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 11:07 AM

Do we even have one woman who was actually charged for a rape kit? One? Link please.
Because it's OK to treat people horribly as long as they're a quiet minority (which rape victims generally are)?

Honestly, how can you possibly argue that it's OK to make rape victims pay for the investigation of their crime? What is the trail of logic that leads to that conclusion?
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 07:24 PM

Not even remotely comparable. Nice name-calling, btw.
BS. You're a total hypocrite. It's not name-calling when it's 100% true. Give just one aspect of this case that makes Palin less responsible for it than Obama was for Wright, and I'll illustrate for all how unbelievably two-faced you're being. Just one.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 08:30 PM

No. The alleged rape victim's insurance is charged for a rape kit.
If she has insurance. Even if she does, she still pays a deductible.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 08:34 PM

A much better title for this thread would have been 'Charge rape victims for the pleasure'.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Because it's OK to treat people horribly as long as they're a quiet minority (which rape victims generally are)?
I think this line of reasoning is beneath you Chuckit. The rapist treated the victim horribly. People slip through bureaucratic cracks, this is why folks like me often rail against more of it. The rape victims that submit to the kit have to sign consent. They are no longer silent. They become part of the records of the city. I've found one rape in Palin's entire time there as mayor. I'd be happy to look at anything that sheds more light on this. That's damned quiet Chuckit. To be clear, it is as tragic in many respects as multiple rapes are and I'm not defending negligence of any kind, but I'm also not saying "Palin treated rape victims horribly by charging them for rape kits" either. This is just irresponsible and zealous.

I said Palin should be challenged for what I'm calling "bureaucratic negligence". Furthermore, I think she should say something very soon and very honestly. I'm certain this will come up, but I have a hunch we're trying to string this twice-elected mayor, then extremely popular governor up over a non-story.

The Chief of Police is not charging them to knock on the door, pick the man up, take his fingerprints, etc... the Chief of Police is not "charging" anyone. The woman gives consent for medical attention. The medical attention is provided. Her health insurance picks up the tab for the medical coverage and as much as we know, happened once. You act like you're all of a sudden some sort of champion of woman's rights here because of an issue in Wasilla, Alaska. Do you have any idea how many deplorable things are happening to women in your city under the nose of your mayor? Any corruption? Waste? Fraud? Criminal activity? Maybe your mayor's lucky, has a (D) after his/her name and isn't running for the highest office in the land. Too bad they all aren't, we'd be able to uncover all kinds of injustices for you to lose sleep over. I'm just sayin'.

Honestly, how can you possibly argue that it's OK to make rape victims pay for the investigation of their crime? What is the trail of logic that leads to that conclusion?
Can you not argue on honest terms Chuckit? Seriously. Is this such a feeble case that you have to frame my arguments as condoning the act of charging rape victims for rape kits after what I've said in this thread already? C'mon man.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
ebuddy, the chief of police said that they collected $5,000 to $14,000 every year in your own article. This would have to be for a number of rape investigations, regardless of the number of convictions.
You mean the one conviction? I hate to ask the obvious, but this means it's at least possible there were no rapists found from numerous rape kits issued right? They're just all guilty then or what?

Good luck figuring out the truth on this---I'll think you'll never get it any more than we'll ever hear whether Palin has ever had any connections with Russia---but I think that is what you deserve for supporting a dishonest candidate.
Funny thing is if Palin did have any connection to Russia, that'd be her undoing.

About the whole; me deserving what I'm getting for supporting a dishonest candidate thing... I have no clue what all you support, but I have a hunch the feeling's mutual? After all, life is good.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules