Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need help finding the Statute of Limitations

Need help finding the Statute of Limitations
Rumor
May 11, 2012, 03:00 PM

For Michigan's Driver Responsibility Act. My DL is being held up in CA for something I did out of state in October of 2003. Oddly, I didn't have an issue during my last DL renewal. Anyhow, I'm having a hard time finding this or an answer to it. I've already lost out on three job offers due to it. I've tried working with MI, but they want more than I can currently pay. If I had any of the jobs I've had to pass over, they would have already been paid.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2012, 03:53 PM

that sucks.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 11, 2012 at 04:42 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2012, 04:06 PM

What a ugly act, was reading it over, bloody expensive and harsh. Wouldn't the Installment Agreement help resolve the current issue quickly so you can get those jobs? The only thing I was able to find is a 6 year limit based on Michigan Treasury which the DRA falls under for fee payments unless of some court action or order which extends it.

http://www.michigan.gov/treasury/0,1...6496--,00.html
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Rumor  (op)
May 13, 2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks Athens. I'll look into that link.

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2012, 01:50 AM

DUI?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 03:25 AM

Statue of Liberty...

Statue Of Limitations...

Oh... statute.

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2012, 01:41 AM

Was this for a DUI?

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2012, 12:51 PM

Were you convinced of DUI?

Rumor  (op)
May 19, 2012, 02:44 PM

Yes. All the court stuff was done and I left with a valid liscense. I found out it was suspended last year when I went to renew.

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2012, 11:57 PM

So don't you need to do whatever they tell you to do in order to get your license back? If you did the crime then you need to do the time (and fines).

Why did you drive drunk?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by idontlikelionosx View Post
So don't you need to do whatever they tell you to do in order to get your license back? If you did the crime then you need to do the time (and fines).

Why did you drive drunk?
Egadz man, maybe he was an alcoholic struggling through difficult times and over the last 9 years has sobered up and now donates hundreds of dollars a month to MADD.

What's it to you?
ebuddy

andi*pandi
May 20, 2012, 09:13 AM

"All the court stuff was done and I left with a valid liscense." That to me sounds like he did what they wanted but now there's some kind of snafu.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Egadz man, maybe he was an alcoholic struggling through difficult times and over the last 9 years has sobered up and now donates hundreds of dollars a month to MADD.

What's it to you?
This is what I wanted to say, only polite.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2012, 02:34 PM

So don't you need to do whatever they tell you to do?
The statute of limitations is part of "what they tell you to do." Both sides have to follow the rules.

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post

What's it to you?
Friend's aunt was killed by a drunk driver. She was raised by her aunt and she was only 15 when it happened.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2012, 04:40 PM

That's terrible.

But please don't grind your axe against Rumor.

He wasn't the driver, and you have no idea how he's been dealing with the conviction, and how he may or may not have changed his ways.

Rumor  (op)
May 20, 2012, 06:00 PM

Friend's aunt was killed by a drunk driver. She was raised by her aunt and she was only 15 when it happened.
So was my aunt. I was 21 and made a mistake. We all do. I was pulled over for turning left where I shouldn't have (though people did all the time cause it didn't make sense not to). The arresting officer was surprised that I was over the limit when I passed all the field sobriety tests.

Again. 21. Dumb. Mistake. Lesson learned.

I have never done it again.

andi*pandi
May 20, 2012, 11:57 PM

Almost 10 years ago, got to be some bug in the computer somewhere. It looks like it will be on your record forever (misdemeanor) but your license shouldn't be pulled.

This appears to be a lawyer's site, ymmv, but see #10 and #13.
Michigan OWI Laws FAQ - MI Drunk Driving, DWI / OUIL / DUI

10. How long does a DUI conviction stay on my Michigan record?

Response: In Michigan a DUI conviction stays on your record for life. Some other states have similar laws. A DUI in Michigan is always a misdemeanor, although some drivers with multiple DUI convictions are declared "habitual violators." A third drunk driving arrest within one's lifetime will be deemed a felony.

A conviction can result in possible denial of job opportunities or restrictions on credit because the conviction is a public record and is typically retrieved by credit reporting agencies. In addition, a conviction can cause an increase in premiums or cancellation of your auto insurance. In the last 10 years, many rental car companies have begun denying rental privileges to a person with a DUI conviction for as long as six (6) years after a DUI conviction. Some countries even restrict or prohibit travel by persons with a DUI conviction (e.g., Canada). All of these reasons explain why we fight for a non-DUI disposition to your case, or for an outright acquittal.

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2012, 01:19 AM

Are you allowed to travel to Canada? Are you able to get this expunged from your record?

Rumor  (op)
May 22, 2012, 09:07 PM

As far as I know I do not have any travel restrictions. Not sure about being able to get it expunged. I suppose I should contact and attorney in Michigan.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
As far as I know I do not have any travel restrictions. Not sure about being able to get it expunged. I suppose I should contact and attorney in Michigan.
The travel restriction comes from our side not yours. If you ever admit to a DUI conviction at the border you will be denied entry (most of the time) and it will show up on any future attempts. This includes travel by flight. In Canada a DUI is a criminal conviction and those with Criminal Records get denied.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

idontlikelionosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

I know a guy who has a few convictions for battery and DUI. He's forbidden from entering Canada. He tried to go one time but when they scanned his passport they made him turn around.

andi*pandi
May 23, 2012, 12:13 PM

Does George Bush never go to Canada then? (oh wait, I guess so: DUI Stops Bush From Freely Entering Canada - ABC News )

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2012, 12:30 PM

I had a friend of a friend who had been in prison. It was for some relatively minor non-violent crime, but as these things do, it was really ****ing up her ability to get work.

My friend was bitching about this, and I suggested she take a vacation in Detroit and pop over to Windsor, not to get a job, but just to spend a day somewhere she isn't considered a convict.

Looking back, and with full knowledge gained from this thread, that had to have been some of the worst advice I've ever given.

Forum Links
Forum Rules