Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Marathon trilogy for FREE

Marathon trilogy for FREE
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2005, 03:08 PM

http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

check it. still downloading, i'll keep you updated.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 03:17 PM

Aren't OS X versions of the actual application available somewhere?

Edit: see my next post.
( Last edited by Stradlater; Jan 12, 2005 at 03:22 PM. )
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

downloaded.

marathon started up classic.

trashed.

marathon 2 started up classic.

trashed.

didn't bother with infinity.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
downloaded.

trashed.

trashed.

Try here:

https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ckage_id=82131

Appears to be Carbon versions.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 03:37 PM

The original Marathon files are not compatible with Aleph One; you can download Raul Bonilla's M1A1 conversion from Bungie.org's Archives.

http://archives2.bungie.org/cgi-bin/...ac&sortby=date

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 06:27 PM

Marathon is an all-time Mac classic series. I'm glad someone finally decided to host the files. If people are having problems, here are some

Installation Instructions:

1) Download a build of Aleph One ("A1"), the Mac OS X open source version of Marathon. If you are interested in "stability", you can download the last stable build from April 2004. However, I think most of the people "Aleph One" AIM chatroom use the latest nightly build (currently January 9, 2005) for netplay. If you plan to play online, you need to be using a build that other people are using or you risk the game going out of sync and not working properly.
2) Download the appropriate game files (maps, shapes, sounds, music, ) from http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/ and move them into the A1 folder. You do not need to download all the maps, shapes, etc., only those for the game you want. Almost everyone in the Aleph One AIM chatroom uses the Marathon Infinity files for netplay, but sometimes people do M1A1 co-op. To keep things simple I would just get the Marathon Infinity files, but if you only plan to play single player, I personally think Marathon 2 has the best story and single player.
3) Download the Mac file-typer and drag and drop the appropriate files onto the right typer (map files into the map typer, etc.)
4) Launch A1, configure preferences as needed, and get going. If a particular level is giving you trouble, if you hold on Command + Option while clicking on "Begin New Game" in the main menu, you can skip to any level you want.

Once you get things running, you can also download and install some high-resolution textures and images or new maps and scenarios if you want. Such files can be found if you search fileball.net.

Other notes for netplay:

Everyone pretty much gathers in the Aleph One AIM chatroom to play online. Hosts or kind users will post IP addresses of games they are hosting. If you want to join you need to copy this IP address, go into A1, click Join Network Game, click the join by IP checkbox, and paste the IP address in the field and press OK.

While work has been done to help make A1 netplay improved over the years, things are still far from ideal. You need to make sure you have the same maps/shapes/physics, etc. files selected in your preferences as the host does. You cannot "mix and match" marathon infinity maps with marathon 2 shapes; each game has different features, and if you don't use what the host is using for netplay, things will go out-of-sync ("OOS"). When this happens, everyone will have their own version of the game state, and you will see people running into walls or not respawning. If you see one person doing this, it usually means he is OOS. If you see everyone doing it, you are likely OOS. Sometimes OOS happens even when everyone is using the same stuff. It could be a bug in the networking code or someone could have lagged out. Try a different map or host if the problem keeps happening.

Another issue that has been around for a while is the inability to join games or gather people to your game. Making sure everyone is using the same build of A1 usually fixes this.

Probably the biggest issue is that when you do add people to your game, or they add you to their game, you or they might get the Mac OS X Spinning Beach Ball ("SBB"). If you leave A1 alone for 60 seconds or so, it will time out, and the app will return to normal. This happens when someone is behind a router or firewall. Newer nightly builds of A1 can supposedly automatically resolve router stuff now, but you should turn off firewalls before playing netplay, if possible. Older builds (including the last stable build) do not have this feature. If you are having problems with the spinning beach ball appearing or someone is telling you that's what they get when you try to join their game, you will need to log into your router and port forward 2 ports to your computer to play. Port 15367 UDP and port 4227 UDP and TCP. Alternatively, you can log into your router and enable its DMZ features and set it to forward everything to your computer.

This should be enough to get people going.
Genius. You know who.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
stuff
thanks!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 08:47 PM

What are the keys? I can't seem to move forward or figure out how to configure the keys.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 09:10 PM

Does the original Marathon work with Aleph One? Or only Marathon 2 and infinity?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 09:25 PM

I have all three working.... although I can't figure out how to move forward. I can move side to side though!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
I have all three working.... although I can't figure out how to move forward. I can move side to side though!
From the main menu, go to Preferences -> Controls -> Configure Keyboard. The standard controls use the Keypad to do things. Thankfully things can be reconfigured.

I changed mine to a standard WASD setup, and E for next weapon, Q for previous.
Genius. You know who.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 09:48 PM

Hoe did you get the original working? It complains about the map, sound, etc files on launch, even though I used the applescript filetypers.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Does the original Marathon work with Aleph One? Or only Marathon 2 and infinity?
The Marathon 1 files might be a special case (I think their format differs much from M2 and M-Infinity). I have never tried to use them or played much of M1, so I'm not sure. I think the M1A1 project (link posted by Ghoster above) has converted all the M1 resources to the Marathon Infinity format, and has an included build of A1 setup to mimic the menu style of Marathon 1. This is what you should use if you want to play M1 in OS X.
Genius. You know who.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
downloaded.

trashed.

trashed.

Jeez, what a narrow-minded thing to do. Trashing a great game just because you belong to the Church of Not Ever Using Classic.

As the others have mentioned, you can run Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity natively on OS X using Aleph One. Unfortunately, the original game doesn't work with Aleph One and doesn't run properly in the Classic environment either, but some guy out there remade the game in Aleph One format. Unfortunately, he made a bunch of modifications to the game which I dislike, including starting in a completely different game before getting to the actual Marathon, completely ruining the suspension of disbelief. Also, the game just feels a bit off - it doesn't seem to have that really eerie feeling that the original did. For this reason, I suggest finding an old Mac that boots into OS 9 and playing the original game on it, and then moving up to Aleph One on OS X for the second and third games. However, if you don't have access to an old Mac, or your religion forbids you from ever touching an OS 9 machine, then you can go ahead and play the Aleph One conversion of the original game.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jan 12, 2005 at 10:08 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 12:16 AM

As default, I think, it needs to have the number lock function on. It sucked because I am on my Ibook, so it defeats the purpose. I'll try to reconfigure the keyboard as suggested.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 03:05 AM

I can't get M1 to work. I downloaded M1A1, the "Special Edition" of the remade files, nothing works.

M2 and Moo work fine. Marathon on a 23" Cinema Display. Drool....

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 10:17 AM

Gottem!! Thanks!

This brings back memories!

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I can't get M1 to work. I downloaded M1A1, the "Special Edition" of the remade files, nothing works.
Weird, it worked fine for me. I downloaded M1A1, dropped the Aleph One executable into the M1A1 folder, launched Aleph One, and it worked fine.

Are you getting an error message?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 11:47 AM

I got it working. Stupid app keeps the preferences from the last time you tried to run it. Opened Environments, clicked nothing, closed the dialog, and everything worked.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules