Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Oh, and one more thing..." </announcement>

"Oh, and one more thing..." </announcement> (Page 3)
rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2006, 10:33 PM

Well, my wife and I went out and bought the following Dutailier glider + ottoman today from Babies 'R Us...

Holy hell expensive, but damn comfortable and should come in handy while my wife is feeding the baby and rocking the kid to sleep at times.

Lastly, where do Dad's go and actually buy a decent diaper bag? Any suggestions? I will not bring myself to carry around the floral/pastel bags that dominate the market today and are targeted specifically for Mom's only. The only one I've seen that I'm partially interested in is the following Jack Spade "Dad Field Bag" at Nordstrom's...

In a nutshell, it's a messenger bag that comes with a changing pad. I enjoy orange. Therefore, I could use the bag after the baby for real-world uses.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Well, my wife and I went out and bought the following Dutailier glider + ottoman today from Babies 'R Us...

Holy hell expensive, but damn comfortable and should come in handy while my wife is feeding the baby and rocking the kid to sleep at times.
Don't think mom is the only one going to be using that thing. You'll get some use out of it for sure.

It's an excellent investment. We use ours a LOT!.
Lastly, where do Dad's go and actually buy a decent diaper bag? Any suggestions? I will not bring myself to carry around the floral/pastel bags that dominate the market today and are targeted specifically for Mom's only. The only one I've seen that I'm partially interested in is the following Jack Spade "Dad Field Bag" at Nordstrom's...

In a nutshell, it's a messenger bag that comes with a changing pad. I enjoy orange. Therefore, I could use the bag after the baby for real-world uses.
I bought a North Face Recon II daypack. It has a few compartments and keeps the hands free. Plus it's big enough for camera, diapers, medicine, toys and a small blanket and it doesn't look feminine. Did I mention it keeps you hands free? This is VERY important when you child is walking and you need both hands.

Here's where I got mine and what I got.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Don't think mom is the only one going to be using that thing. You'll get some use out of it for sure.

It's an excellent investment. We use ours a LOT!.
Oh yeah, I'll definitely be using it for damn sure. I really like how it reclines in multiple positions and can lock into place as well. Plus, it's absolutely silent. Great construction and quality from Dutailier.

Interesting idea on wearing a day-pack, I didn't really think of that idea. I'll look into them for sure, thank you very much.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2006, 11:25 PM

Interesting idea on wearing a day-pack, I didn't really think of that idea. I'll look into them for sure, thank you very much.
Just being part of the Dad-Network™. It's our job. And now you have to pass on the knowledge to the next new dad you meet.

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2006, 12:37 PM

we got an Avent backpack my husband was willing to carry, it is black and has lots of compartments. best for newborns though, as it started seeming too small for all the gear once he got to be about 1.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 01:13 PM

I guess I'm lucky, as my wife likes denim bags, so we got a denim diaper bag that doesn't look overly feminine. Not that it really matters, though.

We have a glider, also (I forget which brand), and while they are very comfortable, the one thing I wish our glider had was a way to recline, which would make it easier to sleep in if need be.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
...the one thing I wish our glider had was a way to recline, which would make it easier to sleep in if need be.
Yeah, ours can recline and lock into any position which is really nice. It was an add-on feature that I'm glad we went with.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:17 AM

2 more weeks before the baby comes! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh...sorry, I'm a little nervous and anxious to say the least.

And oh yeah, my wife and I are celebrating our 3rd anniversary today as well!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:35 AM

2 more weeks before the baby comes! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh...sorry, I'm a little nervous and anxious to say the least.

for you two! One for the anniversary and one for the impending arrival.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:42 AM

Congrats on the anniversary.

Find male companions who've been through it to help you through the "oh my gosh's." Your own dad would be good, if you're lucky enough that he's a good guy and still around.

You ARE smart enough, loving enough, caring enough, wise enough, strong enough. And when you aren't your wife will be.

You'll do just fine. Lean on each other and then be strong for each other. And know that it WILL be fine.

We're all proud of you.™
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:47 AM

I have used a Jack Spade bag for years. Expensive but hella durable and easy to clean.

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 09:04 AM

My first was born 4 weeks and 2 days ago, and yes, the I went through what you're going through now, and what I'm sure every new father goes through.

You should prepare yourself, the first weeks are HARD. A lot tougher than I imagined. Supporting your wife/partner & vice versa is so important. My wife is being a total trooper, it is hard for me to leave her with the baby at home and come to work in the mornings. We're lucky that we have met two other new parent couples with babies all born within a week and we catch up with them regularly for coffees & to discuss the good & bad - it's important for reassurance that everything you & your parnter & your baby are going through all is normal.
( Last edited by nbnz; Jun 28, 2006 at 11:27 AM. )
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
I have used a Jack Spade bag for years. Expensive but hella durable and easy to clean.
Yeah, I went with the orange Jack Spade bag. I really like it thus far, but need to break it in a little bit further.

Thanks everybody for your kind words and insight, I really appreciate it.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 06:09 PM

I never really wanted kids, that is until earlier this year. For some reason (maybe age, or life circumstances) I feel like it would be a good thing to have a mini-me. On the other hand I've also been thinking about becoming a sperm donor - Heck as a well educated upper-class guy I can get about $1k per "visit". Damn!

Seriously though, congrats. I find myself oddly in envy of you.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 09:51 PM

Still nothing....time is standing still. Any day now...any minute actually.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 10:00 PM

Have your wife jump up and down.

I've actually heard my wife talking about the doc's at the office she used to work at recommending patients eat spicey food or have sex to try to enduce labor.

[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 10:16 PM

Sex. Walking. Spicy food.

Seriously, though, the waiting is really freaking hard. Get good sleep every night, because you're not going to get much after labor starts.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I went with the orange Jack Spade bag. I really like it thus far, but need to break it in a little bit further.
http://www.jackspade.com/warrenst/misc01/index.html

Gotta love a company that makes a $65 ping pong paddle cover.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 10:54 PM

I bet you can't wait! Your own little slugger to steal your hearts! Fingers crossed for ya!

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Sex. Walking. Spicy food.
Done. Done. She is not a fan.

In all seriousness though, we have done a TON of walking the last few days. Everybody keeps saying how the baby looks lower, so that is a good sign. She was at 2 cm last week and we have another doctor's appointment tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how far she has progressed since last weeks visit.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 11:53 PM

Rickey would have been born by now. He's always been fast.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Rickey would have been born by now. He's always been fast.
Rickey was born on Christmas...so he is special to begin with. I would like to avoid a Christmas arrival myself.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 04:35 AM

Congrats! (I'm always cutting it close)

I pray that your baby is perfectly healthy at arrival. Post pics after the day comes and goes!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 06:32 AM

Done. Done. She is not a fan.
My first was 11 days late relative to the due date. It was excruciating. I went to work every day, but I checked the clock every two minutes. It seemed like I lived six months during those 11 days.

Once labor starts, there isn't much need to rush immediately to the hospital. The hospital is not as nice as your house, and you'll be there long enough as it is. Call the doctor when the contractions reach the interval your doctor told you was "time" or when the contractions are so bad your wife is in tears. Let the doctor make the call on whether you should go to the hospital. A lot of first timers get sent home from the hospital because they went too soon. When your wife is in labor, she really doesn't want to pack everything up, drive to the hospital, get "checked", and get sent back home.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Once labor starts, there isn't much need to rush immediately to the hospital. The hospital is not as nice as your house, and you'll be there long enough as it is. Call the doctor when the contractions reach the interval your doctor told you was "time" or when the contractions are so bad your wife is in tears. Let the doctor make the call on whether you should go to the hospital. A lot of first timers get sent home from the hospital because they went too soon. When your wife is in labor, she really doesn't want to pack everything up, drive to the hospital, get "checked", and get sent back home.
Great advice, thank you. We actually discussed this scenario during our birthing classes. Luckily for us, we are literally within walking distance (2 blocks) of our hospital. So we can wait pretty darn late to head on over. My wife likes to remind me that we will be driving, not walking over.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 09:50 AM

Rickey was born on Christmas...so he is special to begin with. I would like to avoid a Christmas arrival myself.

Yeah, I think if your baby doesn't arrive by Christmas, your wife will give herself a C-section.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2006, 10:27 AM

went 14 days overdue, know how your wife feels. In addition to the remedies above, I suggest a half a glass of wine, or bouncing on a yoga ball... massaging the area between thumb and forefinger, as well as "other" areas... and there are some teas. Some people say cod liver oil, but I wasn't QUITE that desperate.

good luck, and get your rest while you can.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 10:23 AM

Well Rickey has posted in a few hours so I'm guesiing it's happening/happend. I wish you the best.
iGeek

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mac-at-kearsarge
Well Rickey has posted in a few hours so I'm guesiing it's happening/happend. I wish you the best.

hmmm posting during birth.... concepts a brewin

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
hmmm posting during birth.... concepts a brewin

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mac-at-kearsarge
Nope, if nothing happens naturally by next Thursday (7/13/06), she will probably be induced on Friday.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 07:42 PM

I told you that you were going to have an All-Star baby. I think your little one is going to come on Tuesday, because like Pedro you're looking for an excuse to skip it. Or it could be Monday, as your entry in the Home Run derby.....

Railroader
Banned
Jul 8, 2006, 10:11 PM

Nope, if nothing happens naturally by next Thursday (7/13/06), she will probably be induced on Friday.
Our first was drug free and the second was induced without pain meds.

The first one was a lot less "intense". My wife complained for a few days how much more painful and "intense" the second one was.

Avoid inducing if you can.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 06:13 PM

My wife and I just got back from the doctor's office and unless nature takes over before-hand, we are having this baby next Tuesday, July 18th! It's nice to have a date now, but damn it seems forever away.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 06:28 PM

My wife and I just got back from the doctor's office and unless nature takes over before-hand, we are having this baby next Tuesday, July 18th! It's nice to have a date now, but damn it seems forever away.
We'll be heading to the hospital tomorrow morning around 8:00 AM CST to get things going...hopefully by the next post, I'll have a picture of our wonderful (yet stubborn) addition to the family!

finboy
Jul 17, 2006, 06:37 PM

We'll be heading to the hospital tomorrow morning around 8:00 AM CST to get things going...hopefully by the next post, I'll have a picture of our wonderful (yet stubborn) addition to the family!
Good luck man. Just take things one step at a time.

And don't pay any attention to any of the advice that anyone gives you -- a lot of it is contradictory and confusing. Get a good book (like the for Dummies series) and go with that, it's all you need.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 11:29 PM

http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main.asp?x=12451

"They wanted one baby and no more," he said.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 12:21 PM

oh man oh man oh man oh man. the little slugger must be ether almost born or is born right now! oh my god soooo exciting. i want my cigar now rickey (ill take the bubble gum one)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 06:04 PM

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickey! it's time to plaaaaaaaayaaaaaaaaaaaaa

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 10:34 PM

Let me introduce to everybody here at the 'NN Forums, my new son, Dylan. He was born last evening at 9:21 PM and weighing in at a whopping 9.8 lbs. and was approximately 21.5" long! Both Mom and Dylan are doing just fine and recovering very nicely...

rickey939 (aka: Dad) is behind the mask:

Dylan (aka: Baby):

Needless to say, if Dylan falls in line with his Dad, I expect him to post here within a few hours to talk about the experience, but for now, that will need to wait!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 10:40 PM

A whole five minutes has passed and no one dropped in with a "Congrats" so I get to be the first.

Woo-Hoo!!!11!111!!11!!1 CONGRATULATIONS to Dylan, Mom, and yourself.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 10:57 PM

9.8 lbs?!?! Wow. I'm sure mom's glad it's over.

Congrats to you and Mrs. Rickey!
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 11:47 PM

Let me introduce to everybody here at the 'NN Forums, my new son, Dylan. He was born last evening at 9:21 PM and weighing in at a whopping 9.8 lbs. and was approximately 21.5" long! Both Mom and Dylan are doing just fine and recovering very nicely...
Congratulations...DAD.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 12:05 AM

Congrats! But 9.8 pounds is nothing; I was 10 pounds and 3 ounces

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 20, 2006, 12:42 AM

congrats man.

that first pic looks like you gave Dylan the camera.

"here son, take a picture for the folks in the lounge. no..no. you have to hold it down to focus first, THEN you press it all the way. argh. no one told me general baby dexterity was so terrible."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 12:43 AM

congrats new mommy and daddy, and congrats to your son for being such a slugger at the start

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2006, 01:23 AM

congrats bro dad, mom, and baby!
ice

Gator Lager
Senior User
Jul 20, 2006, 01:26 AM

congrats
best wishes

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
congrats man.

that first pic looks like you gave Dylan the camera.

"here son, take a picture for the folks in the lounge. no..no. you have to hold it down to focus first, THEN you press it all the way. argh. no one told me general baby dexterity was so terrible."

Congrats, Ricky!

Forum Links
Forum Rules