Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Liberian Food - my experience with a Cassava leaf food dish I ate.

Liberian Food - my experience with a Cassava leaf food dish I ate.
Railroader
Banned
Oct 13, 2007, 09:44 PM

It.

Was.

Disgusting.

Amazingly so. I am proud I tried it, but wow. It was the first food I have had that actually made me gag. I am pretty sure I was discrete in my dislike of it to the Liberians present, but wow.

I am told it had chicken feet, rare cooked shrimp, parts and pieces of beef, pork and poultry. There were bones of every nature, from hip bones to unidentifiable chunks that I think was bone. It was spicy, but not too bad, and it was powerful in flavor.

I am getting a little nauseous just thinking about it. It basically looked like someone swept the floor of a animal processing plant, and cooked a dish with all of the things that are normally thrown away in America.

I try to be sensitive to cultures and ethnicities. And I will try a few other Liberian dishes in the next few days, but I'll be blunt, I am not looking forward to it.

I guess I just wanted to vent. Be critical of my disrespect of the Liberian dish or discuss different disgusting things you have eaten. I am just going to try not to obsess about when and how this dish is going to pass through my digestive system.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I am just going to try not to obsess about when and how this dish is going to pass through my digestive system.
Better out than in?
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 13, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
Better out than in?
I'm hoping the exit will be less eventful than the entrance!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2007, 10:09 PM

i've tried the stewed fish with tomato sauce version with cassava leaf and that was very very tasty. sides were some kind of rice and leaf spinich. the girl i was with at the time had the cassava with baked chicken, and she said it was very good as well. same sides. maybe you could try a couple different fillings or toppings with it? have fun with the food trying

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 15, 2007, 06:32 AM

I am told it had chicken feet, rare cooked shrimp, parts and pieces of beef, pork and poultry. There were bones of every nature, from hip bones to unidentifiable chunks that I think was bone. It was spicy, but not too bad, and it was powerful in flavor.
Ugh... too early in the morning....

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2007, 06:56 AM

It basically looked like someone swept the floor of a animal processing plant,
oh boy!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 11:44 PM

I'm asian and some of the more "disgusting" things I've eater are actually alright:

1. chicken feet dim sum*
2. pork feet stew
3. toad/frog casserole
4. bird spit soup
5. pork intestine dim sum*

* these are actually pretty damn good

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 08:17 AM

It.

Was.

Disgusting.
Was it the flavour or the ingredients? I always think about putting chicken feet into my chicken stock (good for consistency) but I just can't bring myself to do it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 01:26 PM

It.
It basically looked like someone swept the floor of a animal processing plant, and cooked a dish with all of the things that are normally thrown away in America.
You mean put in hotdogs and sold at the county fair.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
I'm asian and some of the more "disgusting" things I've eater are actually alright:

1. chicken feet dim sum*
2. pork feet stew
3. toad/frog casserole
4. bird spit soup
5. pork intestine dim sum*

* these are actually pretty damn good
Mmmm, pork intestine. I miss living in China sometimes.

I also really liked the chicken hearts, they were a bit tough too. Wasn't such a huge fan of the goat testicles, but the dog soup was fantastic.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 02:03 PM

I like Cream of Sumyounghuy

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I like Cream of Sumyounghuy
Please go away. remember, your supposed to be ignoring me. You said so. You did.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You mean put in hotdogs and sold at the county fair.
Maybe in America-lite™, but not Michigan were they have very high meat standards.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2007, 08:34 PM

have you been able to try any other types of recipes?

Alex

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Was it the flavour or the ingredients? I always think about putting chicken feet into my chicken stock (good for consistency) but I just can't bring myself to do it.
It was a combination. The appearance of the feet, tripe, the bony bits, and the flavor.

Plain fried chicken feet would probably have been pretty good, but all the other ingredients just made it gag-worthy to me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 09:18 PM

Please go away. remember, your supposed to be ignoring me. You said so. You did.
I wasn't addressing you, nor was I confronting you. Give me a good reason to flat out avoid your threads when you certainly will not reciprocate... Or will you now?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 09:28 PM

I try to be sensitive to cultures and ethnicities.
Dude, that's like trying a quick furtle with Paris Hilton when you're already married to Adriana Lima.

I tried the same with Bollywood films. Tried to get into them, I did. Ethnic awareness and all that. Then I woke up and came to the conclusion that they were just plain crap - all that singing and dancing with not even the slightest hint of Bruce or Arnie anywhere in sight.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 09:30 PM

Arnie Swartznegger?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 09:36 PM

That be the fella.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 09:43 PM

I wasn't addressing you, nor was I confronting you. Give me a good reason to flat out avoid your threads
Why did you respond to my post? I thought you claimed to be ignoring me. Did you lie?
when you certainly will not reciprocate...
I'm not the one who said I was ignoring anyone.
Or will you now?
Nope.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude, that's like trying a quick furtle with Paris Hilton when you're already married to Adriana Lima.

I tried the same with Bollywood films. Tried to get into them, I did. Ethnic awareness and all that. Then I woke up and came to the conclusion that they were just plain crap - all that singing and dancing with not even the slightest hint of Bruce or Arnie anywhere in sight.
Good point. As I said, I try. Having the vocation I have, I have to be sensitive to where and what other cultures do. Ultimately the final goal is the help them assimilate into US culture, but I thought I'd extend the hand of friendship by trying their food. Now I can say I did. And now I don't have to have anymore!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 10:13 PM

Ultimately the final goal is the help them assimilate into US culture, but I thought I'd extend the hand of friendship by trying their food.
Heh. I bet after you left they were thinking "I was hoping that RR would bring some dogs and Bud around so I didn't have to eat this Liberian stuff again".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 10:34 PM

Why did you respond to my post? I thought you claimed to be ignoring me. Did you lie?

Baiting people on the internet, what a strange hobby... Whether or not I decide to ignore you and whatever means I choose to do so does not give you a free pass to say and do whatever you want. It's funny that the guy who makes all the poop jokes has to lecture you about some basic maturity.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Heh. I bet after you left they were thinking "I was hoping that RR would bring some dogs and Bud around so I didn't have to eat this Liberian stuff again".
Funny you should mention it. Only about 50% of the Liberians there would eat it. The ones that wouldn't eat it were watching me for my reaction the whole time. Only one of them saw me gag and she said she'd keep it between us.

They love Mexican food, tuna casserole, and spaghetti. That's about all what I have fixed for them so far. Pizza tomorrow.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 10:38 PM

Baiting people on the internet, what a strange hobby... Whether or not I decide to ignore you and whatever means I choose to do so does not give you a free pass to say and do whatever you want. It's funny that the guy who makes all the poop jokes has to lecture you about some basic maturity.
Please quit derailing this thread.

And please try to be a man and keep your word about ignoring me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 10:46 PM

You are an A+ internet tough guy, Kilbey. You ought to be proud of this feat.

Later...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:25 PM

Bess, give it up - you're being an arse again.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2007, 11:27 PM

Funny you should mention it. Only about 50% of the Liberians there would eat it. The ones that wouldn't eat it were watching me for my reaction the whole time.

They love Mexican food, tuna casserole, and spaghetti. That's about all what I have fixed for them so far. Pizza tomorrow.
Hmmm... Pizza. That's gonna be mission accomplished as soon as they get some of that inside them.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 12:02 AM

could someone ask him the question i asked him above please? he's, for some reason, ignoring it.

have you been able to try any other recipes with Cassava leaf railroader?

Alex

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2007, 12:13 AM

You are an A+ internet tough guy, Kilbey. You ought to be proud of this feat.

Later...
Wow...besson just dropped down to Rob™ level.

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
could someone ask him the question i asked him above please? he's, for some reason, ignoring it.

have you been able to try any other recipes with Cassava leaf railroader?

Alex
Maybe he didn't notice it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 12:23 AM

thank you Laminar for doing the favor I asked for.

and if he just missed it, sorry about that rr.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wow...besson just dropped down to Rob™ level.
Whatever, I think it's pretty clear where the first blows originated here, and who is dragging laundry around. What am I to do if Railroader refuses to ignore me and insists on being my fanboy, shadowing me here and randomly picking fights with me?

Seriously, I would appreciate any advice anybody has on making RR and Kevin leave me the hell alone and finding a new hobby. Please PM me if you have any ideas.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 04:35 AM

Whatever, I think it's pretty clear where the first blows originated here, and who is dragging laundry around. What am I to do if Railroader refuses to ignore me and insists on being my fanboy, shadowing me here and randomly picking fights with me?

Seriously, I would appreciate any advice anybody has on making RR and Kevin leave me the hell alone and finding a new hobby. Please PM me if you have any ideas.
Umm, now you are being melodramatic. Put them both on ignore and be done with it. If you do that you won't see what they say.
And, if they *are* following you around it doesn't really matter then, does it? You can't see what they say.

(It's not like either one of them ever contributes anything substantial here, anyway. Although Kilbey's construction-project threads have always been cool--Search the archive for his postings on the cutting board project; that was a cool project and a neat thread.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 07:41 AM

Who came in here attempting to derail with a lame obscene joke?
Do what you said you were going to do. ignore me. Be a man and stick to your word.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 07:41 AM

thank you Laminar for doing the favor I asked for.

and if he just missed it, sorry about that rr.
why?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
(It's not like either one of them ever contributes anything substantial here, anyway. Although Kilbey's construction-project threads have always been cool--Search the archive for his postings on the cutting board project; that was a cool project and a neat thread.)
Actually, if you'll notice, I started this thread and besson came in a derailed it with a lame obscene joke.

And please, don't call me "Kilbey". Show me that respect that certian other people don't.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 08:02 AM

because i applied that you're being rude and ignoring my post for whatever reason.

so since you asked me a question and I answered, it would be nice of ya to answer mine

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 08:18 AM

And please, don't call me "Kilbey". Show me that respect that certian other people don't.
As far as I know all your cool construction-related threads were posted under the "Kilbey" nick. Telling him to look for threads by Railroader wouldn't help him find those threads now, would it?

Anyway, you seem to have slowed down on your wood-working projects, or at least in showing off them here in the Lounge. You have less time to do them now?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 08:41 AM

because i applied that you're being rude and ignoring my post for whatever reason.

so since you asked me a question and I answered, it would be nice of ya to answer mine
you didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again:

why?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 08:41 AM

yeah, those were kinda cool. have you stopped building, or just not wanting to share with us anymore?

edit:
"why?"
*because accusing people of doing something when their intention is other is rude/ 'cause it would be nice.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 17, 2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
As far as I know all your cool construction-related threads were posted under the "Kilbey" nick. Telling him to look for threads by Railroader wouldn't help him find those threads now, would it?

Anyway, you seem to have slowed down on your wood-working projects, or at least in showing off them here in the Lounge. You have less time to do them now?
He knows who I am and what to look for.

I am more busy than ever. I just don't feel the need to share on here about the projects I do anymore.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 08:44 AM

" I just don't feel the need to share on here about the projects I do anymore."

why not?

and to reask my above question again. Have you tried any other dishes that include cassava lead railroader?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 10:52 AM

Maybe he didn't notice it.
do you still believe in this statement?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2007, 11:09 AM

do you still believe in this statement?
I believe it's also possible he didn't care to answer. He's under no obligation, implied or otherwise, to answer your question. I also don't think you realize that he's mocking you.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 17, 2007, 11:29 AM

Actually, if you'll notice, I started this thread and besson came in a derailed it with a lame obscene joke.
And this is exactly what happened.

besson has his own thread now were he can act as stupid as he wants to in it.

He needs to keep it in there and stop derailing other people's threads that frankly don't care for his bottom-feeder type humor.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 17, 2007, 11:34 AM

I just don't feel the need to share on here about the projects I do anymore.
I wouldn't either. The forum is full of hate filled people that get thrills out of belittling the work of others. No matter how good it actually is.

That is why you'll never see me posting anything I do artistically in here. There is no reason to.

Constructive criticism is one thing. Being a jerk just because you can is another.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 01:33 PM

I believe it's also possible he didn't care to answer. He's under no obligation, implied or otherwise, to answer your question. I also don't think you realize that he's mocking you.
oh i know he is. he'll get tired of it if i play along. he's just upset because my infraction plate is empty. actually kevin posted something that's in line of what I think rr is doing. "Being a jerk just because you can...." is very childish and shows the smaller man. (last bit added by me)
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Oct 17, 2007 at 01:45 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 01:50 PM

oh i know he is. he'll get tired of it if i play along. he's just upset because my infraction plate is empty. actually kevin posted something that's in line of what I think rr is doing. "Being a jerk just because you can...." is very childish and shows the smaller man. (last bit added by me)
...cool. Thanks for clarifying that the last part was added by you. You're so mature and have so much perspective now. And apparently you're a qualified psychoanalyst.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 01:52 PM

lol. want me to say what i think of you? or should i make an attention whore thread for you?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 02:02 PM

Uh...go ahead....ALEX PARKE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I showed you what was what!

Forum Links
Forum Rules