Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.4 is out....

10.5.4 is out.... (Page 2)
MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 05:08 AM

I have actually only used two, for work, but they worked perfectly under Tiger as well, and fail under Leopard on both my old G4 and my new MBP .

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 01:39 PM

So far I haven't had any issues going from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 on my 2007 Macbook Pro.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

Rolando_jose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

1 US$ = 0.635324015 €

This is bad. Really bad.

Maybe its just looking into the future, since the dollar is in free fall

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 03:23 AM

I've had several people note that after upgrading to 10.5.4 mail.app stopped sending mail. I finally upgraded my MacBook Pro and bingo mail stopped sending. I had to add a new smtp server with the same settings as my old one to fix it.

craigp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2008, 05:05 AM

There seem to be a lot of people around here that seem to be having a lot of problems. Maybe it's got something to do with the kind of things I do (or don't do) on my Mac, but I can't say I've had anything go wrong with my machine since... since... well, since about 10.4.1 or something. Tiger was stable, but occasionally locked up completely. 10.5 has been completely rock solid and hasn't locked once. In fact (and I know this is joke you guys refer to whenever a new minor version is release) 10.5.3 was noticeably faster for me - making my experience even faster. Coupling this with the DP of Safari 4, and my system is rock-solid, and lightning fast (so much so, that I was considering a MBP to replace my first-gen MB, but have now decided to hold off).

I've just done a bit of reading around the CharlesS highlighted security hole, and that is quite worrying. I've applied the fix. But in all the years I've had a Mac, this is really the first time I've even had to think about security. Normally, I'm just frugal with the services I turn on and trust the rest to Unix/Apple. Whether the Mac community just isn't an interesting enough target yet for the script kiddies, or whether there is something inherently more stable about OS X, I couldn't say.

All I know is that I've not been affected by any security, stability or bug-based problems with OS X in years.

So, I'm naturally wondering what it is I'm doing (or not) that you guys who are experiencing problems are doing. I'm a very heavily user (work on it all day - mainly coding and some design). I'm rarely doing anything at the command line, but occasionally I can spend days there. I'm always running new software; installing new stuff.

Your thoughts?

To the MacNN forum admins: Nice board, by the way. My first post here, and it's certainly one of the nicer BBS I've used.

calverson
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 10:25 AM

I hope I can open .nef's now in Aperture.

Pissess me off that I can't right now.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 3, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rolando_jose View Post
Good call...probably a new Time Machine feature. I hope this type of thing gets added to the Stocks widget.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Service Packs (from the Beast) actually add features, unlike anything that comes from Apple.
Ah, but Apple is slowly starting to charge for updates that include new features.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 3, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Ah, but Apple is slowly starting to charge for updates that include new features.
Sarbanes-Oxley ftl

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Sarbanes-Oxley ftl
Everyone points the finger at Sarbanes-Oxley, but, somehow, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony seem to be able to release new features in updates without charging for them.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 01:29 PM

Everyone points the finger at Sarbanes-Oxley, but, somehow, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony seem to be able to release new features in updates without charging for them.
The alternative if Apple adds features in a service release is for them to restate revenues for the life of the OS. That's a lot of accounting work, and can affect results, and punish their stock price. They've added features on rare updates (10.4.5 or 10.4.6 I recall), but in general having to muck with the books and restate earnings every 2-4 months as an update comes out... not worth it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
The alternative if Apple adds features in a service release is for them to restate revenues for the life of the OS. That's a lot of accounting work, and can affect results, and punish their stock price. They've added features on rare updates (10.4.5 or 10.4.6 I recall), but in general having to muck with the books and restate earnings every 2-4 months as an update comes out... not worth it.
Again, though, it's strange Apple seems to be the *only* software developer having this difficulty.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 03:20 PM

Precisely. Apple has just realized that we are ready to pay for relatively minor features and since we pay they charge.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 04:19 PM

Examples?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2008, 04:52 PM

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 05:07 PM

Well, the only new features I can see in there are directly related to the PS online gaming network, which, AFAIK, is a subscription service, no?

Apart from the fact that Nintendo and Sony are based in Japan.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Examples?
Zune 1 getting all the new software features for Zune 2
First-Gen Zune Getting All The New Features: This is How You Treat Your Customers

PSP got lots of free new features over the course of it's updates:
web browser
charging over usb
Locationfree tv (with other Sony hardware)
ability to play PS1 games
RSS catcher
Portable tv
... to name a few
PlayStation Portable System Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Well, the only new features I can see in there are directly related to the PS online gaming network, which, AFAIK, is a subscription service, no?

Apart from the fact that Nintendo and Sony are based in Japan.
PSN is free.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

chirpy22
Jul 4, 2008, 11:45 AM

10.5.4 and Safari are slower than 10.5.3. This is after repairing permissions, restarting, downloading and installing the 10.5.4 combo update, restarting, repairing permissions and restarting again.
= sucks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 12:15 PM

No wonder it's slow then. To set the secret OS X snappy bit you need to repair permissions another five times. Restart in between too.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 12:19 PM

Simon is quite right. Everyone knows this. The more you repair permissions, the faster it gets.
Vandelay Industries

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 01:15 PM

Make sure you repair permissions before and after repairing permissions.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chirpy22
Jul 5, 2008, 11:18 AM

I get this message from OS X when attempting to do as you say:
"You cannot repair permissions because the permissions repairer kit must be repaired before repairing permissions."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rolando_jose View Post
About two weeks ago, someone posted that she was having problems with the conversion widget. It was just plain wrong in the conversions. She took a suggestion from one of us to reverse which direction she was doing the conversion entries (instead of left to right, enter the amount of the first currency in the right window and select the second currency in the left), and that not only worked correctly, it fixed the problem. It sounds like some sort of "sync the conversion algorithm" issue. Has anyone tried that?

For what it's worth, I updated as soon as Software Update told me it was available, and while I didn't have any problems beforehand, I don't have any problems now, either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Whoever said that OS X does not involve any voodoo like Windows was soooo wrong.

-t
No, OS X does NOT involve voodoo. It's just plain normal black magic, the way all good coding is. Windows still needs chicken guts, the appropriate phase of the moon, and all those "interesting" rituals just to get things running. OS X is SO above that.

Seriously, the more complex an OS becomes, the more interaction between different modules is required, and thus the more opportunities for something to get missed or overlooked. We're in a much better state than any Windows user. It's just so out of the ordinary for something from Apple to not "just work" that most of us think it's as horrible as all those ugly Windows bugs. It ain't. It's just not the way it should be.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2008, 05:33 PM

I reverted to a backup of 10.5.2 after I noticed that Aperture wasn't working right. When using the Loupe in Aperture, the entire border of the Loupe would flicker as it was moved around over an image. I also noticed that other graphics elements in the OS were acting differently (progress bars would flicker too).

I just backed up again before I tried the 10.5.4 update. After the install, Aperture seems to run properly.

Just my two cents.

EDIT - I am using a MBP with the GeForce 8600M GT graphics card
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 05:16 PM

I've had two 'not-waking-from-sleep' episodes since installing 10.5.4

One time was after leaving my iMac on overnight and the other was this afternoon when I didn't use the iMac for about an hour.

Had to hard reboot both times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules