Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dvorak keyboard layout

Dvorak keyboard layout
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 9, 2005, 06:45 PM

So I decide to take the plunge and see if the Dvorak layout really is as good as it is claimed to be. My Pismo's keyboard also needed a proper cleaning, so I pulled off all the keycaps, cleaned out all the lint with tweezers and sticky tape, and put the keycaps back on -- in Dvorak. Here's the result.

tooki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dvorakpismo.jpg (75.8 KB, 488 views)

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 07:17 PM

Get a blo... oh oops. Let us know how it goes

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 07:19 PM

Mods abusing power!

I could never switch to a new layout…

-Owl

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 07:26 PM

If you switch to a Dvorak layout, does it still work on the Login screen? Or will it switch back to QWERTY?

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 9, 2005, 07:39 PM

In Panther and earlier, it always reverts to QWERTY. In Tiger, it does that by default, but there is now a Login Options checkbox to show the input menu at the login screen.

tooki

P.S. Executives get perks like free aircraft; one of ours is to not need separate image hosting! BTW, can all of you regular users see & download the image fine? As an admin, I see many thins that are hidden to normal users.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 07:40 PM

Im not sure but I read somewhere that Dvorak was actually at the forefront but people were typing so fast that they broke their typewriters. (not sure if ur article actually mentioned this-just kinda skimmed it) So to remedy that they make qwerty so that typists would slow down to accomodate the mechanics of the typewriter. But i guess keyboards can handle it. My mother switched to it a couple of years ago, and she tells me its much easier. The only reason I havent is because I've become too familiar with qwerty and also for compatability. And besisdes, most of an aritsts work is done with the mouse...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
P.S. Executives get perks like free aircraft; one of ours is to not need separate image hosting! BTW, can all of you regular users see & download the image fine? As an admin, I see many thins that are hidden to normal users.
Yes, but you're "on sabbatical," Mr. Admin.

Yes, the image downloads fine.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 9, 2005, 07:45 PM

QWERTY was developed to slow down typists (and keep the type bars for common letter combinations apart), but previous typewriters had alphabetical keys. Dvorak came later, after QWERTY.

tooki

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
Im not sure but I read somewhere that Dvorak was actually at the forefront but people were typing so fast that they broke their typewriters. (not sure if ur article actually mentioned this-just kinda skimmed it) So to remedy that they make qwerty so that typists would slow down to accomodate the mechanics of the typewriter. But i guess keyboards can handle it. My mother switched to it a couple of years ago, and she tells me its much easier. The only reason I havent is because I've become too familiar with qwerty and also for compatability. And besisdes, most of an aritsts work is done with the mouse...
Actually original typewriters had the keys in alphabetical order, and typists got so fast that keys got stuck. That's why QWERTY was invented. THEN Dvorak came along.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 9, 2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Yes, but you're "on sabbatical," Mr. Admin.
I declare that I shall have my cake and eat it, too!

tooki

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 08:14 PM

So... how do you like it? And is it easy to switch from that back to Qwerty (say you're not using your laptop)?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 08:43 PM

Image attachment worked fine. Made me sad that I was trying to get an old PowerBook 2400 or Pismo off eBay last month and kept forgetting to bid on the good deals I found. Oh well, not like I need one.

QWERTY was developed to slow down typists (and keep the type bars for common letter combinations apart),
The former point is false, the latter point is true. The idea was that alternate sides of the keyboard would be used so that the flying arms didn't stick if two on the same side were used at the same time.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
The former point is false, the latter point is true. The idea was that alternate sides of the keyboard would be used so that the flying arms didn't stick if two on the same side were used at the same time.
...hence 'slowing down' the typists who would possibly still be typing as fast, but would not be typing keystrokes right next to each other as fast (usually).

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 10:11 PM

I've thought of changing to Dvorak but... I already type pretty darned fast, and it'd screw up all my command keys.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 10:20 PM

Here's a nice comic that explains everything in a very simple way. Both easy and fast to read.
http://dvzine.org/zine/index.html

I've been using Dvorak myself for a couple of weeks now. It's a nice layout, goes easy on the wrists.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 10:40 PM

tooki, why do you have internet explorer in your dock? good that its not running, but why look at it if you don't have to?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
I've thought of changing to Dvorak but... I already type pretty darned fast, and it'd screw up all my command keys.
That's what "Dvorak - Qwerty ⌘" is for.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Railroader
Banned
Jul 9, 2005, 11:09 PM

A friend had a Pismo with a blank keyboard. He was a dvorak typist and he thought it was a good way to keep the common idiot from using his computer.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
That's what "Dvorak - Qwerty ⌘" is for.

Thanks, almost had me switching. That said PS Elements 2 doesn't support it... which really sucks. It doesn't seem to be a carbon vs. cocoa thing either because iTunes supports it... bloody adobe... always against me!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 11:39 PM

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 11:51 PM

You know i think most Dvorak users just try harder with Dvorak. Really everyone should just have PB keyboards.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 05:15 AM

You need to read the link i provided. The "carefully crafted study" by the GSA is in fact based on nothing more than hearsay; the author of said study destroyed all his "evidence" rather than let others examine it. It's highly suspect.

tooki

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 06:17 AM

So I decide to take the plunge and see if the Dvorak layout really is as good as it is claimed to be. My Pismo's keyboard also needed a proper cleaning, so I pulled off all the keycaps, cleaned out all the lint with tweezers and sticky tape, and put the keycaps back on -- in Dvorak. Here's the result.

tooki
you need a new N key, it looks a little over used hehe
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 11:32 AM

Right?!? I have no idea why only N, M, and O have worn down while other, more used letters have not. (Based on glossiness of the keys.)

tooki

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 11:34 AM

Right?!? I have no idea why only N, M, and O have worn down while other, more used letters have not. (Based on glossiness of the keys.)

tooki
Perhaps its from say NO so much to people LOL and M is just a accedental from when you mean NO
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 11:53 AM

Well tooki, it's cool that you've switched but you haven't explained how you like it. Is it easier to type on? Are your typing speeds much quicker now than before? Or are you still taking time to get used to it?

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 12:29 PM

Right now it is still very much slower. But I'll give it some time.

tooki

Cipher13
Jul 10, 2005, 12:34 PM

I switched to Dvorak a few years ago, and found i couldn't break my Qwerty habit. I type far too fast, and don't have the patience to learn a new layout... muscle memory is hard to beat.

I found myself switching back to Qwerty (just via the input menu) whenever I needed to chat to anyone, or write a report. I'd like to change to Dvorak, but it isn't gonna happen.

Infact, my keyboard is still laid out as per Dvorak, but I use it as Qwerty.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 01:55 PM

That's probably what I'd do. I don't even think about which keys are where I just tap my fingers and the text comes.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2005, 04:42 PM

Yd. Ekrpat t.fxrape nafrgy co j.pyacbnf ab cby.p.oycbi ce.av C-m bry ogp. cu C-e x. axn. yr i.y go.e yr cyw ydrgidw ao C am uacpnf ajjgoyrm.e yr ",.pyfv C-m bry ogp. C-e dak. yd. layc.bj. yr ir ydprgid ann yd. p.ypacbcbiv

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 04:53 PM

Yes, of course, couldn't agree more...

Originally Posted by CharlesS
yr i. y go. e yr cyw ydrgidw [...] yr ir ydprgid ann yd
This looks like it might just be a valid sentence in Welsh, though.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13
I switched to Dvorak a few years ago, and found i couldn't break my Qwerty habit. I type far too fast, and don't have the patience to learn a new layout... muscle memory is hard to beat.

I found myself switching back to Qwerty (just via the input menu) whenever I needed to chat to anyone, or write a report. I'd like to change to Dvorak, but it isn't gonna happen..
My foray into the Dvorak layout was absolutely identical to yours. I just could not get my fingers to "unlearn" qwerty. My mom started me touch-typing in 3rd grade, and it just seems too ingrained to switch.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 05:21 PM

edit: now I know.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2005, 05:38 PM

Yd. Ekrpat t.fxrape nafrgy co j.pyacbnf ab cby.p.oycbi ce.av C-m bry ogp. cu C-e x. axn. yr i.y go.e yr cyw ydrgidw ao C am uacpnf ajjgoyrm.e yr ",.pyfv C-m bry ogp. C-e dak. yd. layc.bj. yr ir ydprgid ann yd. p.ypacbcbiv
You'd at least want to switch the labels on your keys, I think.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2005, 05:47 PM

You could also try lightening up a bit and recognizing a joke as a joke.

Oh wait, I forgot:

Frg jrgne anor ypf ncidy.bcbi gl a xcy abe p.jribc;cbi a hrt. ao a hrt.v

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 05:58 PM

Frg jrgne anor ypf ncidy.bcbi gl a xcy abe p.jribc;cbi a hrt. ao a hrt.v
You do realise that nobody is bothering to look up what it actually says there, don't you? (Or are you perhaps counting on it?)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2005, 06:02 PM

It says, "You could also try lightening up a bit and recognizing a joke as a joke."

If you looked just above it, you would see that all the words have the same number of letters.

Sheesh...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 06:39 PM

Oh yeah, so they do! Well, I claim fatigue—it's close to one A.M., and I'm on my way to bed, so I demand to be held irresponsible... err, I mean, not responsible!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2005, 09:01 PM

You could also try lightening up a bit and recognizing a joke as a joke.
Sorry. The lack of the words "Michael Jackson" threw me off. ( , for those who missed this one too.)
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2005, 09:18 PM

Uh, I think I missed this one. What does Michael Jackson have to do with the Dvorak layout?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 09:29 PM

Uh, I think I missed this one. What does Michael Jackson have to do with the Dvorak layout?
Wait... you... you don't know? Ha... oh m... ha!

... loser...

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols

edit: now I know.
Wrong Dvorak!!

tooki

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 09:48 PM

Okay, this is fairly cool. If it actually had a chance of catching on, I'd learn it. But seriously, I'd have to buy new keyboards since I'm too lazy to pull the keys off of mine. Maybe if Apple adopts it, then it will catch on.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2005, 10:12 PM

There are two (or more) schools of thought on keyboard arrangement. The first says that the order and arrangement of letters on the keyboard has been irrelevant since advances in typewriter design made the original QWERTY layout unnecessary, and that given the right training early enough, anyone could learn to type quite well with ANY layout. The other school holds that people's fingers are naturally unequal in strength and dexterity (on average), so it would speed up typing and increase accuracy if the layout placed the most-used letters under the most dextrous fingers-this is a generalization of the genesis of the Dvorak keyboard.

In actual fact, there have been few well documented and controlled attempts to start young people off with Dvorak or QWERTY and then measure their proficiency. This boils down to "it's a personal preference."

Speaking of Dvorak, John Dvorak, the columnist pictured in this thread, has recommended a number of innovative input devices, including something that uses all five fingers of each hand on separate controllers. He says it works fine after you get used to it. Me? I'm afraid I'd never be able to type again if I tried some new layout. It reminds me of an old Garfield cartoon; Jon asks Garfield if he walks left front, left rear then right front right rear, or if it's left front, right rear and then right front, left rear. Garfield thinks on it for a minute, then says "I'll never walk again!" My fingers are too used to QWERTY to get try to do anything else right now.

I should also point out that at one point I was teaching teletype operators how to issue computer commands on a satellite communications terminal, and I had to consistently show them where the "Control" key was-sideways, since they were in front of the keyboard. I got pretty good at typing sideways then, but I haven't practiced in years.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 10:48 PM

i don't think I could ever switch to Dvorak. sounds pretty tempting to try though.
iamwhor3hay

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 11:32 PM

Well, I'm going to try and learn – it's worth a shot. I'm not going to pull off any keys though – just force myself to touch-type all of it. And if I pulled off and rearranged the keys, my parents wouldn't be too happy.

[edit]: Looks like there's a flaw in Apple's implementation of Dvorak + Qwerty Command. When you use that, the shift key doesn't work as a modifier with the Command key anymore, so, for example, Command + } is impossible. Damn!
( Last edited by Sage; Jul 10, 2005 at 11:39 PM. )

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 12:27 AM

I'm giving it a shot right now - thanks for the idea!
If I do this at work, I should be back up to my normal WPM by the end of the week.

Don't be worried about forgetting qwerty; this is like learning another language.

(man did that take me a long time to type in dvorak... this will take some readjusting!)

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 12:51 AM

Wrong Dvorak!!

tooki
I keep imagining people typing in Dvorak...in John C. Dvorak.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 01:12 AM

I have a friend who switched to Dvorak... I think I still type a lot faster than he does.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 01:18 AM

I meant, "I've forgotten how to recognize jokes that don't have Michael Jackson in them." Because people tell a lot of Michael Jackson jokes nowadays, you see...
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules