Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Holy Crap! Alec Baldwin's Rant @ Daughter

Holy Crap! Alec Baldwin's Rant @ Daughter
Apr 20, 2007, 09:11 AM

Link mp3

"You are a thoughtless little PIG..."

I just lost a LOT of respect for him. Man...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 09:15 AM

If I had a recording of some of the things my mother said to me when I was young, you would think she was crazy and abusive. She was a wonderful parent with moments of "being human."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 09:17 AM

I see. I always knew Alec was a scumbag. He's a decent actor and a scumbag in real life. (I do like his character on 30 Rock, however.) I feel very sorry for his daughter. She's going to be messed up for life. He's never heard of a cell phone?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 20, 2007 at 09:25 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:25 AM

Do you have anything other than a link? Where does this come from? To me, it doesn't sound like Alec Baldwin. If it is him, it's a shame, because I think he's a wonderful actor and I'd hate to learn that he's like this.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:27 AM

Holy Crap! Who the F**k cares!!!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 09:28 AM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:34 AM

Well, Alec Baldwin is a wife beater so this isn't surprising.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 09:35 AM

This is why, if you don't absolutely know you're going to love your spouse for the next 20 years, you should think really long and hard before bringing children into the world as a result of that union. He's taking out his anger at Bassinger on his defenseless, innocent little daughter.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:49 AM

I like the "I don't care if you're 12 years old... or 11..."
Sounds like he's really a connected parent.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Holy Crap! Who the F**k cares!!!

I was wondering the same thing. Why are so many attracted to these silly celebrity stories like moths to a flame?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 10:00 AM

As lousy as he is in the rant, I think equally bad or worse is whoever leaked this to the press. These are actual lives, and whatever problems the family has should be worked out within the family, not via the Today show.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
As lousy as he is in the rant, I think equally bad or worse is whoever leaked this to the press. These are actual lives, and whatever problems the family has should be worked out within the family, not via the Today show.
I agree with that. Who else could it have been other than Kim, fed up with his behavior.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
This is why, if you don't absolutely know you're going to love your spouse for the next 20 years...
This is an absurd statement. Nobody absolutely knows anything about the future. And why does it only matter for the 20 years? A breakup, between a married couple always effects people around them. Children, whether they're 6 or 60 are going to be affected by their parents' relationship.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
This is an absurd statement. Nobody absolutely knows anything about the future. And why does it only matter for the 20 years? A breakup, between a married couple always effects people around them. Children, whether they're 6 or 60 are going to be affected by their parents' relationship.
I don't think it's absurd. If you're going to marry someone, at least be prepared to make a commitment until your children are adults and have their own lives to lead. Modern society teaches people to be far too self-absorbed and concerned with their own short-term gratification rather than the well-being of those they supposedly love, including the ones they brought into the world. I realize from the example set by my parents that even loving relationships have their ups and downs, but my parents loved each other and their children enough to stay together even through the hard times. That's the model I'll have in mind for when I find a wife.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 10:35 AM

I don't think it's absurd. If you're going to marry someone, at least be prepared to make a commitment until your children are adults and have their own lives to lead. Modern society teaches people to be far too self-absorbed and concerned with their own short-term gratification rather than the well-being of those they supposedly love, including the ones they brought into the world. I realize from the example set by my parents that even loving relationships have their ups and downs, but my parents loved each other and their children enough to stay together even through the hard times. That's the model I'll have in mind for when I find a wife.
I misunderstood what you meant then. I agree completely with you on that front. My point of view, is essentially that love is not something that is accidental, fallen into and fallen out of at a whim or at the change of a person. As we develop and grow, we become different. I think marriage is a commitment to a person and ultimately one decides to continue to love someone or (sometimes through inaction) decides not to continue love someone.

Saying "I absolutely know this" is a little reckless when talking about the future. Since we can't know things like that, we have to be the active part of the situation and change it as it comes. Perhaps one can make a promise (a vow maybe!?) to choose to love that person in spite of hardships and difficulties, and to 'see it through'.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

(op)
Apr 20, 2007, 10:45 AM

Neither Baldwin or Basinger deserve to have custody of their daughter IMO.

Baldwin is a terrible father to speak to his daughter that way and Basinger obviously released this to the press - even though it might humiliate their daughter and family.

Basinger is just as bad as Baldwin, maybe worse in some respects.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 12:43 PM

No, she's hawt, and he's a dude.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 12:43 PM

Let me ask all of you who are Alec hating right now:

Were your parents absolute angels to you at all times when you were growing up? Did one or both of them ever get angry with you and lose their temper and yell at you? Did one or both of them ever make you so angry you wished you were away from them forever?

I would wager that most (probably all) of you people would answer no to the first one and yes to the rest. And now you are throwing stones at someone you only know through TV/movies and the tabloids. Do you know the details and specifics on this incident? Have you spoken to Alec or his daughter? No? Then shut your mouths you petty little hypocrites.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 12:46 PM

At least Adam Baldwin is cool.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post

Were your parents absolute angels to you at all times when you were growing up? Did one or both of them ever get angry with you and lose their temper and yell at you? Did one or both of them ever make you so angry you wished you were away from them forever?

I would wager that most (probably all) of you people would answer no to the first one and yes to the rest. And now you are throwing stones at someone you only know through TV/movies and the tabloids. Do you know the details and specifics on this incident? Have you spoken to Alec or his daughter? No? Then shut your mouths you petty little hypocrites.
Yes my parents got angry (heck, I was a pretty frustrating kid). No, they never ever said things like that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 12:47 PM

Good thing I read through the forum to see if this was posted already...

I didn't have any respect for Baldwin in the first place. I've heard him talk to other people this way, so it's not that big of a surprise to hear this stuff.

UPDATE: Alec Baldwin's spokesperson released the following statement to the TV show "EXTRA": "In the best interest of the child, Alec will do what the mother is pathologically incapable of doing ... keeping his mouth shut and obeying the court order. The mother and her lawyer leaked this sealed material in violation of a court order. Although Alec acknowledges that he should have used different language in parenting his child, everyone who knows him privately knows what he has been put through for the past six years."
What is that supposed to mean? Everyone goes through crap, and most people aren't multi-millionaires through the process.

He should take a few lessons from his little brother.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 12:52 PM

Yeah, I had huge problems with my parents, but my parents never swore at me. And if they did yell (I can only remember 3 instances), there wasn't an ounce of hate or rate detectable in their voices. It is NOT acceptable to speak to a pre-teen child that way. The details and specifics of the incident are irrelevant--Baldwin went berserk on his very young daughter in a despicable way.

And throwing the word "hypocrite" into a rant doesn't make it any more legitimate. Adding "petty" and "little" to the mix just makes it sound like it's on its way to being Alec Balwin-esque. And why would complaining about Baldwin make US hypocrites anyways?

That being said, that voicemail should've never been made public. If Basinger is at fault for that, then she made a really stupid mistake airing out her dirty laundry. It's even worse for the girl that way.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Apr 20, 2007 at 01:03 PM. )

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 12:53 PM

That's sad if your parent(s) acted/spoke towards you in the same way that Alec did towards his 11 or 12 year old daughter (he didn't even know her age btw). There isn't much of an excuse for this type of behavior. Especially over something as stupid as a phone call. I'm sure she's going to want to answer the phone next time.

And I think the daughter probably released it. With her father threatening (presumably physically based on how he said it) to spend a whole day "teaching" her how ungrateful she is, he deserved it.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 12:53 PM

This is why, if you don't absolutely know you're going to love your spouse for the next 20 years, you should think really long and hard before bringing children into the world
Umm, most people I know who get married do so with the idea of that it will be a lifetime. I don't know anyone who gets married on the 5 year plan.

As for baldwin, what an aweful thing to say to your child. That is just sick.
Michael

andi*pandi
Apr 20, 2007, 12:54 PM

if every parent who said bad things were outed in the press, every parent would be outed in the press. This should have been kept private, and if Kim was the one who released this, she did her daughter no favors.

my ex brother in law (prince of a man) once told his younger daughter that his older daughter was the "apple of his eye" but she was "the shitstain on his underwear." I think that's much worse than what Baldwin said, yet the Asshole Prince was never denied custody by the court.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 12:55 PM

No, my parents never yelled at me. Never had to. Never yelled at my bro or sis, either. My sister doesn't yell at her kids, but my bro did -- and his kids are pains in the arse now.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 12:57 PM

I didn't think it was that bad. Some kids treat their parents like crap and that's ok. But when one has a meltdown, they're an ass. Sure.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 01:00 PM

People like Alec Baldwin are used to having every single person in their life cater to their every whim. They live in a fantasy world, where everything and anything revolves around them, their fame, their talent and their desires.

When anyone, even his own daughter, doesn't bend over backwards to do what he wants.. he goes ballistic.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 01:01 PM

Wow. You people just can't stop passing judgment on a person and situation you know very little about. Whatever, go ahead if it makes you all feel better about yourselves.

And one note to torsoboy, yes my Dad yelled at me when I was young. He even used a curse word or 2 (gasp!). And I was even SPANKED once or twice. And guess what, I'm a perfectly happy normal person who loves my Dad more than anything in the world. I have nothing but total and complete respect for him.

So go ahead and sit back, climb up on your high horses and throw stones. If you're all so damned concerned right now, 10 years from now you should all go check on Alec's daughter (of course you wont because its really not a big deal). She'll probably be a strung out street whore because Alec left her an angry voicemail warping her fragile mind forever.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
No, my parents never yelled at me. Never had to. Never yelled at my bro or sis, either. My sister doesn't yell at her kids, but my bro did -- and his kids are pains in the arse now.
I cant remember my dad yelling either. Not once. My mom yelled maybe 3 times my entire life, and only once was it directed at me. The other two times were at my brother, but she should have been putting a brick to his head instead of yelling at him (my brother went through "a stage").

My parents disciplined without losing composure, spoke with love (even while angry), and all three of their kids turned out pretty well (some would say I'm reason enough to debate that statement). I can say this: none of us have anger issues. My parents TAUGHT how anger makes you look like an idiot, and draws attention away from your words. Alec Baldwin could've used parents like mine.

I brag on them because they were that incredible, and Baldwin's rampage makes me even more thankful.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 01:04 PM

Baldwin's voicemail went far beyond simple anger. I don't know why that's so difficult to see.

And parents can enforce corporal punishment without going ballistic. I know this from very personal experience.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 01:07 PM

i think you are all thoughtless little pigs.

oh my! street life for the lot of you!

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 01:32 PM

Thoughtless little pig is the new nappy-headed ho. It's getting milder. Next week: You goshdarn poopyhead.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2007, 01:40 PM

There is a difference between getting upset with your child and chewing them out for a worthwhile reason, and going absolutely ballistic because your 11 year old neglected to pick up the phone at exactly 10.

I could understand if she blew up his car or something, but the battery could have been dead, she could have been in the bathroom, and there are a number of other reasons she may have been unable to answer the phone.

I can pass judgement on someone for being a complete dickhole, whether or not I know the exact circumstances.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 01:51 PM

I'm willing to bet that most of you who are the most disgusted by this don't have kids. It's fantastic that there are Parents out there who manage to raise their children to adulthood without having even one meltdown.

But we are ALL human. You know, "let he who is without sin" and all that…

This type of thing doesn't make him a horrible father. He is doing the best he knows how. I think that his behavior is inappropriate too but there are obviously deeper issues that aren't being addressed. Maybe this going public will embarrass him enough to take a deeper look at his life.

A few years ago I was going through some stuff my daughter was getting rid of and I found a tape. Apparently I had told her to clean her room (several times) but instead she decided to read a book aloud and record it. I had walked in and caught her "goofing off" and started yelling. Now, I didn't call her any names, but I was swearing and screaming like an idiot. Listening to that turned my stomach. It was then that I decided that I needed to do something about my "anger issues"

In my "quest for peace", a few things that I picked up:

A person that is lashing out in anger is a person who is in pain. There is some aspect of their life that is causing their suffering.

Most of the time when people lash out in anger, that reaction to the anger is a habit that they have developed. A habit that can be changed.

There is a strong correlation between people who are "angry people" and self-centeredness.

I know that all of these apply to me, and on the surface they seem as though they may apply to Alec as well. Personally, I feel for the guy. I've come a long way in dealing with my anger. It's not really hard, but it does take a LONG ass time and it requires diligence and patience.

Besides, look at the bright side: if not for dads like him screwing up girls like that many of us wouldn't have gotten laid AT ALL in high school!
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2007, 02:06 PM

Just because others have been verbally abused in a similar manner does not make it appropriate or an example of good parenting. Disciplining kids is one thing. Harsh verbal abuse is another. It's not like his daughter was guilty of flunking out of school, getting high, having sex, or running with a gang, she simply failed to be there for his calls. He's probably said much worse to her, considering the fact that he was prepared to leave such a voice mail message that he reasonably could have known would be leaked to the media. He hates his ex, and his daughter naturally sides with her mother, so he wants to punish both of them in various ways. Not cool, not cool at all.

Alec better never again preach to others about their life choices. He may be a highly paid Hollywood celeb, but where it counts he's a loser.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2007, 04:50 PM

Ive been yelled at like that maybe twice, and I really really deserved it. So without knowing exactly what the kid did, how can I judge Teh Baldwin. What if his daughter walked through the house with muddy shoes on? That would be consistent with a "thoughtless pig".

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
if every parent who said bad things were outed in the press, every parent would be outed in the press. This should have been kept private, and if Kim was the one who released this, she did her daughter no favors.
Serious.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
Link mp3
I just lost a LOT of respect for him. Man...
You actually had some to being with?

I hope The Soup does something good with the audio tonight.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 05:59 PM

The guys a shitheel for taking his poor widdle baby hurt feewings out on his young child whose age he doesn't even know.

I find the defenders of such irrational behavior highly suspect.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 06:39 PM

And one note to torsoboy, yes my Dad yelled at me when I was young. He even used a curse word or 2 (gasp!). And I was even SPANKED once or twice. And guess what, I'm a perfectly happy normal person who loves my Dad more than anything in the world. I have nothing but total and complete respect for him.

So go ahead and sit back, climb up on your high horses and throw stones.
It's not just the yelling (though I don't think that is appropriate either), it is what was said during the yelling and the emotion that he put into it. Yes, she will be fine, but it still doesn't make doing something like that right (even if your own parents acted the same way to you).

And it's not exactly sitting on a "high horse" to say that a parent shouldn't verbally abuse their children.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 06:46 PM

I think the point is that she is 11

You don't tell a child that young they are stupid, a pig, and then insult their mother. You may as well hand her the bottle of vodka and the stripper heels so she has them for when she hits puberty.

A little kid that young can't defend themselves the way a 17 year old may be able to. Its going to cut a lot deeper.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 07:03 PM

I'm hearing now that Basinger wasn't the one that leaked it. She showed it to the police, and someone there leaked it to the press.

Whoever did it should be fired.

(op)
Apr 20, 2007, 07:15 PM

I think the point is that she is 11

You don't tell a child that young they are stupid, a pig, and then insult their mother. You may as well hand her the bottle of vodka and the stripper heels so she has them for when she hits puberty.

A little kid that young can't defend themselves the way a 17 year old may be able to. Its going to cut a lot deeper.
That's precisely the point.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 20, 2007, 07:53 PM

Jeezus, am I glad Sanjaya finally got voted off Idol.

andi*pandi
Apr 20, 2007, 07:54 PM

Was he not as calm as he should have been? yes. Was it bad enough to show police? I don't think so. There's some kind of pushme/pullme going on between alec and kim that is their business, but they both should be above using their daughter to get back at the other.

Again, parents (see asshole prince brother in law, above) have said much worse to their kids and not been penalized at all for it. Childcare services would/should look at this complaint, compare it to the stacks of files they have about children who are in real danger, starvation, bad homes, etc, and chuck it.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

No thread about other members.

You guys don't know what a bitch my ex-wife Ms. Bassinger has been before and after our divorce.

She's a real loon so give me a break. PLEASE!!!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:48 PM

Atomic Rooster
Apr 20, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Good lookin' guy am I not? I mean in a Metro way.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2007, 11:04 PM

y'all are nuts, and it sounds like you all had great childhoods compared to the yelling and screaming my brother and I incurred. I don't think he went too far. I think the media went too far. I also think this discussion went too far. Let's get on with our lives, shall we?

Forum Links
Forum Rules