Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Gah! PowerBook dropped, no backlight, need technical advice!

Gah! PowerBook dropped, no backlight, need technical advice!
Nate LFE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 01:33 AM

Powerbook 667 sitting on shelf. Powerbook 667 falls on floor, hinge first. Needless to say, it's not pretty, kids. Fractures/crackage all over the top casing where the hinges meet.

However, the system works fine except for the LCD backlight. Which just isn't there. There's an image on the screen and it's in no way distorted, just not lit.

So I decided to snoop around. Tore the whole thing apart. Literally gutted the thing, including the screen. There's no visible logic board damage, nor does there appear to be any damage to the inverter board. I took apart the screen, and the LCD/backlight appears normal, from what I can see. Is it possible for a backlight to burn out from an impact, even when it's not active?

I don't know whether to replace just the backlight, the inverter board, or just give up. Is there any way to eliminate any possibilities? Can I use a multimeter on the inverter? If so, I'm assuming it's AC power?

I'm beggin for anything here, I don't care how stupid your idea sounds, I just wanna get this thing fixed and cheaply, because it is getting old, and anything over 200-300 is pushing the realm of feasibility.

TIA,
Nate LFE

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 01:38 AM

Have you checked that the impact didn't rupture the cable or knock it lose on the other end? I mean it's pretty obvious you've taken it apart quite the way, but perhaps the place to start would be new display wiring
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 01:42 AM

Honestly, that sounds pretty serious and any repair facility would rob you for every penny to fix it and you will still have the same old machine. Check out your credit card company and see if they cover accidental damage to your computer, if not then this may be a sign to go for a new Mac.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Nate LFE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 01:44 AM

That was my first thought and my strongest hope for a cheap fix. The first thing I did was reseat all of the cables related to the display and the inverter. All the cables appear physically fine, from what I can tell. Really the only relevant cable to the issue would be the pink/white 2-pin wires between the backlight and the inverter, since the display itself is functioning.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Nate LFE:
That was my first thought and my strongest hope for a cheap fix. The first thing I did was reseat all of the cables related to the display and the inverter. All the cables appear physically fine, from what I can tell. Really the only relevant cable to the issue would be the pink/white 2-pin wires between the backlight and the inverter, since the display itself is functioning.
Just call safeware and tell them what happened. They will pay for all repairs.

YOU DID HAVE ACCIDENT INSURANCE? RIGHT?

Nate LFE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the advice. No insurance (gah!)

Anyone know what the voltage going to the backlight is? Is it 120V?

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 12:37 PM

I don't know. Just don't stick your tongue on it. 9 volt batteries hurt, 120 wouldn't feel much better.

How about creating a web site showing the guts so we can watch your attempt to repair it?

Nate LFE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2004, 07:49 PM

I decided that it's worth more in parts than it is working, so I will be selling the parts on eBay. If you're in the market, check out auctions by laferle: auctions .
Thanks for your help, guys
( Last edited by Nate LFE; Aug 1, 2004 at 10:48 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules