Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best way to go about video voiceover/editing?

Best way to go about video voiceover/editing?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 01:56 PM

Hey there,

I've just had a presentation dropped on my lap - and it's comedy. I was thinking about doing a voiceover of a popular TV ad that I can find on YouTube, except with my own voice maybe fun of office members of course - and perhaps with someone else's head inserted, if that's possible within my time/cost budgets. I am completely ignorant of this field or any applications to use, and I don't have any time to do research - I deliver in two days.

Any helpful advice?

Thanks
greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 1, 2010, 02:14 PM

Recording a new audio track over an existing video track is easy enough in iMovie. I don't know about altering the video itself, though.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 02:49 PM

Does iMovie come standard with a new iMac? I have the 27" but don't remember iMovie being in my Apps folder...?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 1, 2010, 02:53 PM

It should. If you can't find it, Apple has iMovie HD free for download. I prefer it over the version that replaced it (iMovie 2007 or something?).

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 03:43 PM

That says it's an updater for 6.0.2. My home iMac doesn't have internet (I've gone all Amish Paradise, cutting out cable/internet/etc. at home) - I was thinking of downloading the installation file and bringing it home on USB. Does that also install iMovie as standalone? Doesn't look like it...?

(Basically, we have some "Most Interesting Man in the World" types at the office so I figured I'd play with my job security a little and make some custom versions...not sure if it'll end up being funny or not, but **** it, I don't have much to play with here. If this bombs, I'm just going to freeze and then become incredibly offensive...it's the only backup plan.)

greg

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 06:48 PM

Oops, you're right, I posted the link without actually looking at it. Apple released iMovie HD 6.0.4 for free after everyone complained about how much the new version sucked, but the 6.0.4 installer checked to make sure iLife '08 was installed before it would let you install it (source).

Which iMac? Unless you've reinstalled OS X at some point, it should have some version of iLife on it. I'm pretty sure I saved the iMovie HD installer on my computer for an occasion like this, I can get it to you and you can install it via flash drive if you'd like.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 03:02 AM

iMovie 11 rocks. iMovie 09 was pretty useful (much nicer IMO than the old iMovie HD). It was iMovie 08 that was so limited.

If iLife wasn't installed on your machine, you can (re-)install it from the original disks that came with your Mac.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 12:49 PM

Bah, what happened to the good ol days when you could just download online movies? How the eff do I get a copy of a commercial like this? Jebus the interwebs has become a complicated place.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 12:55 PM

Google "YouTube downloader." I think there are even plug-ins for Firefox that will do it for you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 12:57 PM

If you're using Safari, open up the Activity window. Look for the .flv and option-double-click on it. It'll download the YouTube video.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 12:58 PM

You people are geniuses, all of you. Except that idiot Dakar of course.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 01:00 PM

Yeah, everyone knows he's a joke.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 01:08 PM

You guys only hate me because I'm jewish.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 01:11 PM

Also, RealPlayer Downloader does the job of nicking stuff quite well.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm on a Office Windows XP machine (using Explorer) and They won't let me install add-ons and whatnot. My home iMac isn't connected to the internet - but it does have the iMovie from earlier this year, so as long as I can get it on there via USB or whatever I can try a mashup tonight.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm on a Office Windows XP machine (using Explorer) and They won't let me install add-ons and whatnot.
In that case, simply pop an email into your superior's inbox saying words to the effect of "I've haven't got the tools to deliver on this project because you won't let me have them. So I'm going to the cafeteria to eat cake. Come find me when you've figured out how to do your job properly.".

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 02:07 PM

Then they'll write back with a quick "I'm not paying you for excuses, I'm paying you to get the job done" line. That's how it works in the Real World.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 02:19 PM

Just tell him Uncle Doof sent you. The rest will work itself out.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 03:01 PM

Is it too late to bash Dakar? I had a dental appointment.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 03:07 PM

Yes, it's too late, Ahmedinejad.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 03:10 PM

Damn you, falafel boy. Damn you all and your rigid scheduling.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 03:24 PM

So something like the beginning bit of this ad:

YouTube - Dos Equis - The Most Interesting Man In The World

I suppose there's no cheap and easy way to replace the words and the final picture or anything like that? Something simple like that would be the best thing....

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Damn you, falafel boy. Damn you all and your rigid scheduling.
Maybe that’ll learn ya to take better care of your teeth in future.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 03:37 PM

Then they'll write back with a quick "I'm not paying you for excuses, I'm paying you to get the job done" line. That's how it works in the Real World.
But isn't this situation rather like "answer the phones while I go out" and then leaving you with phones which are in a locked office that he hasn't given you the key for?

No wonder the western world is going bankrupt if that's what it's like in the real world.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
But isn't this situation rather like "answer the phones while I go out" and then leaving you with phones which are in a locked office that he hasn't given you the key for?

No wonder the western world is going bankrupt if that's what it's like in the real world.
Depends rather a lot on what the actual presentation he has to do is. What his boss expects him to do may well be something he can easily do at the office.

Shortcut: If it helps, I downloaded the MP4 and FLV versions of the YouTube clip you linked to above (the MP4 is easier to use with iMovie, I’m guessing, but is only 360p; the FLV is 480p). You can get them here: MP4 / FLV.

(As an aside, uploading those two files—about 72 MB in all—took about five or six seconds. Connection to my Danish domain’s servers must be seriously direct!)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Depends rather a lot on what the actual presentation he has to do is. What his boss expects him to do may well be something he can easily do at the office.
Obviously not, as he's not able to download said videos using the office gear.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Obviously not, as he's not able to download said videos using the office gear.
But the videos might not have anything to do with the assignment itself. All we know about the assignment is that it’s ‘comedy’. Could be the boss is expecting him to come up with a stand-up comedy routine or something.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
But the videos might not have anything to do with the assignment itself. All we know about the assignment is that it’s ‘comedy’. Could be the boss is expecting him to come up with a stand-up comedy routine or something.
Hmmm. Good point.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 05:39 PM

Yes, there's no direction at all - myself and another person have to entertain a crowd of 75 drunk co-workers for 10 minutes or so. Except the other person isn't into teh funny, so it's basically just me coming up with dumb shit. I figured a video here and there might be good for a laugh.

Simply awesome Oisin!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 05:42 PM

Yes, there's no direction at all - myself and another person have to entertain a crowd of 75 drunk co-workers for 10 minutes or so.
Tits.
Always entertaining.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 06:08 PM

I suppose there's no cheap and easy way to replace the words and the final picture or anything like that? Something simple like that would be the best thing....
If you create the final picture/words you want in Photoshop or Gimp, you can trim off the current logo/words from the end of the video clip, import the new picture as a JPEG (or other image file type) into iMovie and set how long the logo displays. You have a Mac, remember? Everything's easy.

Once you import the video clip to iMovie, you can choose to extract its audio track and delete. You should be able to record a new vocal track in Garageband and import that into iMovie. Add some music behind the audio and you're golden.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 06:22 PM

You can also import iMovie projects into GarageBand and add/edit the soundtrack there.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 09:07 AM

Is there any way to "rip" the soundtrack from a video clip? I thought I could do it in iMovie or Quicktime but could not figure it out in the 15 minutes I had to whip something together last night.

Basically, if I could take the voiceover from one of those commercials, and then just use my own pictures of coworkers in the video, it would probably work out best.

Finally: in my iMovie project, when I import a photo, it automatically stretches to fill the screen. Is there any way to "contain" it to a smaller size? Some of the pics I have aren't that big, so they get too fuzzy when full-screen.

greg

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 09:15 AM

Is there any way to "rip" the soundtrack from a video clip? I thought I could do it in iMovie or Quicktime but could not figure it out in the 15 minutes I had to whip something together last night.
If you have QT Pro, just export as a sound file.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 09:34 AM

Jebus, they still have the QT Pro thing in the new OS X? I had QT Pro ages ago but I guess I lost it when I did the upgrade...?

What a mess

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2010, 09:39 AM

Which version of iMovie are you using? In iMovie HD 6.0.4 it's Advanced > Extract Audio

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 10:12 AM

Looks like iMovie '09 came with the iMac in May. Is there an Extract Audio button I missed? I didn't see an "Advanced" menu button last night.

I could try saving that download file you sent me to USB and then installing it at home later today (first time I've been without internet at home since 1996 - it's insanely painful I've found out, although my reading has improved!) - but with my limited time, I've only just gotten somewhat familiar with what I have and I'm dubious about changing the thing now!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 10:14 AM

How big's the movie? If it's under 10mb, you can send it to me and I'll do it right now.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 10:24 AM

Naw it's 30 megs - I only need a small bit, but we have old Windows QT at the office and of course it's not the Pro version, so I can't chop it off. I did a QT audio recording of the actual movie playing instead...it's echo-y and budget, but it sort of works.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 10:27 AM

Oh well.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the offer though - I do have a <10 meg version I ripped last night but it's home.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2010, 10:38 AM

Looks like iMovie '09 came with the iMac in May. Is there an Extract Audio button I missed? I didn't see an "Advanced" menu button last night.
In iMovie 09, select the clip you want to extract the audio from (in the project timeline pane), control click and select "Detach Audio" from the menu. That will extract the audio from that clip and leave both in the same spot of the timeline, within iMovie, no need to export audio only. You can then delete the video portion of the clip and use the audio over another clip, with the ducking enabled on the target clip you want to overlay.
Extract audio from video for iMOVIE 09'!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 10:52 AM

Also, this might be of interest if you're just going to replace PARTS of the video with co-workers:

Unlocking iMovie: How to Do Cutaway Sound in Three Different Ways

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 10:58 AM

Tried that last night - I have the Dos Equis commercial on the bottom left panes, and my project up on top. I selected the portion I wanted the audio from (it has a yellow highlight) but the menu does not have a "Detach Audio" option. I just phoned the wife and got her to try it again - it's not there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 01:27 PM

You have to enable Advanced tools - check the instructions on the link I posted.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2010, 01:15 PM

Home run out of the park - you guys are all awesome, thanks again

andi*pandi
Dec 7, 2010, 02:42 PM

The internet, ftw!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 02:43 PM

I do what I can.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 03:24 PM

That and about $2 will get you a coffee.

Forum Links
Forum Rules