Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Forum software recommendations?

Forum software recommendations?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 10:08 AM

Not sure if this is lounge or something else. Anyhow.

I'm starting a little website project and am going to include a message forum. vBulletin is pretty awesome (for the most part) from a user perspective, but I'm not paying for forum software for this project.

So that being said, does anyone have experience with any free forum software besides phpBB? That particular one has gotten really bloated and difficult to customize, IMO, so I'm interested in trying something else. I've used PunBB, but it's a little too lightweight...I'm looking for something in-between.

Someone also recommended something entirely different to me: Discourse

Thoughts?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

andi*pandi
Mar 25, 2013, 11:17 AM

bbPress.org ? one of our sites uses it, as well as buddypress. Not sure how hard it is to admin.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 25, 2013, 12:58 PM

You might find this resource useful.

During our non-vB adventure, we considered moving to phpBB, MyBB, or SimpleMachines, mostly based on reviews there and what we could dig up across the internet. But we were looking at software for a big board. You probably aren't anticipating a history of millions of posts.

Then there is vB - I think they have a free download for non-commercial use. Assuming that's true, you should read the license, make sure the terms would work for you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 01:21 PM

Since a lot of people use tablets and mobiles, I'd recommend a Tapatalk (or equivalent) compatible solution.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You probably aren't anticipating a history of millions of posts.
I'm actually anticipating no traffic at all, to be honest. I'm just doing this because I already had the domain registered from several years ago, and I have a VPS to host it on.

I'm starting a new vintage Mac hobbyist site that's less traditional forum and more about projects and doing fun things with ancient hardware.

I ended up going with Vanilla. I think it's going to work better than a standard-format message forum.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules