Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AppleScript help

AppleScript help
mindwaves
Mar 11, 2016, 05:17 PM

Posting in this forum because will get more views.

I have this AS gotten from the Apple forums and modified to fit my use.

It works well, but only works intermittently. It is supposed to update the stock prices and dividend date according to the ticker symbols from Yahoo Finance.

Sometimes it updates all of the ticker symbols and displays "Stock data has been updated" and sometimes it updates none of the ticker symbols and still displays the same message. It appears to be random to me, with most of the time not updating the ticker symbols.

It used to work 100% of the time (with no code changes), but it stopped working, and someone suggested adding the delay of 0.5 seconds there which fixed the issue, and now, it has stopped working again (intermittently works).

Why?

Code:
(* Retrieves stock quotes and other data from Yahoo! and places them in a Numbers table. Place symbols in specified column starting at specified row number; no blanks; no footer row. Retrieved data will be placed in columns immediately to the right of the symbols column. By SGIII, 201403 v. 1.1 *) --In the following line specify the types of data to retrieve in the order desired: property quoteProperties : "l1r1" (* See https://code.google.com/p/yahoo-finance-managed/wiki/enumQuoteProperty Example: last trade price followed by pe followed by this year's estimated EPS ==> "l1roe7" *) --In the following line change the default values in black as needed to target the desired table: property t : {targetDoc:"Net_worth_2.numbers", targetSheet:"Dividends 2015-2016", targetTable:"Table 1", symbolsColNum:2, symbolsStartRow:3} (* Example: To populate a table named "Quotes" in sheet "Portfolio A" in document "Investments" with symbols starting on row 2 of column B==> {targetDoc:"Investments.numbers", targetSheet:"Portfolio A", targetTable:"Quotes",symbolsColNum:2, symbolsStartRow:2} *) tell application "Numbers" to tell document (t's targetDoc) to tell sheet (t's targetSheet) to tell table (t's targetTable) tell column (t's symbolsColNum) to set symbConcat to my joinList(value of cells (t's symbolsStartRow as number) thru (19), "+") try set the clipboard to my commaToTab(my getYData(symbConcat, quoteProperties)) set pasteStr to the clipboard on error return --halt script if error getting Yahoo data end try set the selection range to cell (t's symbolsStartRow) of column ((t's symbolsColNum) + 5) tell application "Numbers" to activate delay 0.5 tell application "System Events" to keystroke "v" using {option down, shift down, command down} display notification "Stock data has been updated" with title "Numbers" end tell to getYData(qSymb, qProp) -- get Yahoo! data try set baseURL to "http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?" set {symbStr, propStr} to {"s=" & qSymb, "&f=" & qProp} set yData to do shell script "curl -s " & quoted form of (baseURL & symbStr & propStr) if yData's text 1 thru 2 is "<!" then error --intercept Yahoo error page if yData's text 1 thru 3 is "0.0" then error --a little more error-checking return yData on error display alert "Trouble getting data from Yahoo! Check symbols. Ensure there are no blanks in the column and no footer rows, and that you have the right values in t's properties." return end try end getYData to joinList(aList, separator) --convert AS list to delimited string set {oTid, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, separator} set lstStr to aList as string set text item delimiters of AppleScript to oTid return lstStr end joinList to commaToTab(str) -- Numbers 3 wants tab-separated for pasting try set {oTid, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, ","} set strLst to text items of str set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tab set tsvStr to strLst as text set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oTid return tsvStr on error return end try end commaToTab --end of script

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2016, 11:24 PM

https://code.google.com/archive/p/ya...aged/issues/77

I would try putting a loop in getYData and check against an empty string result.

mindwaves  (op)
Mar 14, 2016, 07:39 PM

Thanks, I'll try it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules