Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Lanham Theme?

View Poll Results: would you want a Lanham theme?
Poll Options:
Yay! 55 votes (74.32%)
Nay! 8 votes (10.81%)
Who's this Lanham fellow? 11 votes (14.86%)
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll
Lanham Theme?
fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2004, 11:28 PM

would you want a Lanham Theme?

being the huge fan i am, i'd give my pinky to get my hands (minus one pinky) on a theme in the style of Puft or RBO or Somatic. perhaps if enough people show an interest we can get him to make one?
( Last edited by fireside; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:34 PM. )

esXXI
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 11:48 PM

I think a Puft-style theme would be fantastic, I love his style that shines through all of his work.. The only problem I actually had with Puft was that there didn't seem to be any themes that complimented it enough (I guess you could use Milk or a similar theme but Milk seems a bit bland to me, and the only other similar style I like is iStyle that seems to "hard" for the softness of Puft).

*Dribbles at the prospect*

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 12:09 AM

I love his work.. perhaps he can be persuaded to design one. I doubt he'd be willing to make a full fledge theme though.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by esXXI:
I think a Puft-style theme would be fantastic, I love his style that shines through all of his work.. The only problem I actually had with Puft was that there didn't seem to be any themes that complimented it enough (I guess you could use Milk or a similar theme but Milk seems a bit bland to me, and the only other similar style I like is iStyle that seems to "hard" for the softness of Puft).

i would like a Puft style theme myself, but there are way too many white themes out there already. i would much rather enjoy a Somatic or RBO style theme.

GuiPod might be a good theme to try out with Puft.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 12:39 AM

I think that puft is not a good choice because you can go to a theme like milk and just use it with that, or another almost white theme.... where as for somatic you can go with a natural effect and play off of that or even a futuristic effect with rbo playing off the name "invading your space" in his other set. Lanham is a fantastic icon artist and to find a theme that plays of a set would be stellar!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by esXXI:

Meh, Puft would be great if I could just freaking see the d*mn icons. It was pretty difficult for me to see what the heck was going on with everything, too white, way too white. Somatic would definitely be better since there already are enough "too white" white themes. I would appreciate a colorful upbeat interesting theme from him, as it complements his style.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Meh, Puft would be great if I could just freaking see the d*mn icons. It was pretty difficult for me to see what the heck was going on with everything, too white, way too white. Somatic would definitely be better since there already are enough "too white" white themes. I would appreciate a colorful upbeat interesting theme from him, as it complements his style.
CALL THE POLICE! ME AND HOLIGEN AGREE ON SOMETHING.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
CALL THE POLICE! ME AND HOLIGEN AGREE ON SOMETHING.
CALL THE DOCTOR! FIRESIDE HAD ANOTHER SEIZURE.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 05:56 PM

I would love a Lanham theme, I think some of his icons are my favorite icons of all time,

I think a really colorful theme, sorta cartoony, would be great, I bet we could get him to at least mock one up for us...

I am drooling already

Hedemann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2004, 07:09 PM

A Somatic theme would be fantastic. I've found that the Somatic icons ( the Icontainer ) are one of the most useful, easy-on-the-eyes, subtle, yet colorful, icon bunch I've used yet. Can't get those damn thingies off my screen !

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 07:12 PM

I may be wrong but I don't think his style would translate well into a theme.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 08:37 PM

Believe it or not, I have discussed this with him, and I think last time I asked, he was interested but did not have the time. Anyway, I think you'll see that he's at least supportive of themes. I think he created a desktop that will be included with Sweet Slumber.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Believe it or not, I have discussed this with him, and I think last time I asked, he was interested but did not have the time. Anyway, I think you'll see that he's at least supportive of themes. I think he created a desktop that will be included with Sweet Slumber.
well if he doesnt have the time, someone must create a time machine to give him the time.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 10:35 PM

I'll get the MacThemes future technologies lab to put that on their list of things to do. Btw, awesome sig.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 11:05 PM

DIRECT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH!

in a recent email, David informed me that "it's a high possibility" but he doesnt "know when i'll be able to start one or what it will look like. The future hold endless possibilities."

i myself am truly excited about this news.

and yes, my sig does rock. the whole pai mei sequence is the only reason to buy the movie.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 11:55 PM

blink
( Last edited by digitaljames; Aug 22, 2004 at 11:50 PM. )

mac15
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 12:12 AM

Haha DJ your one step ahead all the time

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 12:30 AM

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
that doesn't look lanhamish... the first one does, but the crappy jpg compression makes it look like poo. or perhaps it looks like poo anyways?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 12:46 AM

blink
( Last edited by digitaljames; Aug 22, 2004 at 11:50 PM. )

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
that doesn't look lanhamish... the first one does, but the crappy jpg compression makes it look like poo. or perhaps it looks like poo anyways?
The problem is the Lanham-ish textures. He uses a very irregular, mottled pattern to his work and it doesn't tile well....

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:05 AM

Borrowed Dragon's widgets......

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:13 AM

The problem is the Lanham-ish textures. He uses a very irregular, mottled pattern to his work and it doesn't tile well....
You could use menu bar and title bar caps to your advantage then.
click one

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:19 AM

Ok... maybe not

And yeah the texture sucks, I was lazy.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:30 AM

One of the most interesting theme ideas I've seen in a while, period.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 09:34 AM

wink
( Last edited by digitaljames; Aug 22, 2004 at 11:51 PM. )

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 11:17 AM

Well i like the first one.... but like you said without the textures it will be much harder to recreate a lanham sorta feel.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 11:28 AM

Alrighty them....it seems that there is easily enough interest to get this thing going.

So far, Mac15 has offered to help with the theme which is good but more are welcome to join in. Perhaps Phillyru can contact David about permissions? I have been using Max's Milk as a base so far but have remade the metal window bevels a little more square and have changed the color and grads to match one of Davids white Somatic icons. The window widgets are up for discussion but I will keep the glyphs version as a variant at least for myself. No suggestions should be kept to yourselves...lets have them! Post screenies as well. Of course David will have the final say if any of his material is used. Davids work is very colorful and whimsical but could easily get gaudy in a theme environment so lets try to keep it fairly useable.

At least in this case, icons and desktops won't be needed.
I thought the point was to inspire Mr. Lanham to design and create a theme himself? If not, that's ok, but I think whoever's doing it should ask for permission.

Also, digitaljames, can you consider trying something like Synotic's mockup? I found it very fresh and interesting, and in the spirit of Lanham.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 12:02 PM

Same here digi i found synotics mock up pretty cool. But why not an rbo/invading your space theme you could have undone wires, funky looking peices of metal. it would be pretty cool. test it out!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 12:03 PM

I thought the point was to inspire Mr. Lanham to design and create a theme himself?

Also, digitaljames, can you consider trying something like Synotic's mockup? I found it very fresh and interesting, and in the spirit of Lanham.
I missed the part about *him* making the theme....the mockup, while interesting, didn't pique my interest. I shall wait for David to put something out. Pays to read *all* of the posts....

idle
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 01:29 PM

Hey, why ask Phill to ask David? He's really a nice guy and doesn't bite at all. I always thought it better to ask the author personally than contacting him through someone else... anyways just my two cents.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 01:58 PM

guys, guys, we want David to make the theme. definitely not digitaljames, i don't want it to turn out crappy.

and i've already asked David, read my posts, he's interested, there's a high probability, digitaljames please don't make it.

the only person that i would think that would be fit to create it because of David's textures would be DragonTongue.

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2004, 02:02 PM

You are rude, dj made a beautiful job.
Not like you can make.

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by cmove:
Not like you can make.
its your turn james. i had to do it last time.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 03:07 PM

Great start!

Some things to think about:
You have a lot of leeway with all of the elements of the theme. Why not change up the window buttons?
I personally like the green with the purple, though the green looks a little like cellshaded.
You may concider creating a finder and title bar that have a smidge of texture like the stuff that Lanham creates. Take a look at the Somatic icon set. There are some beautiful textures in there

Good luck!

R

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 04:15 PM

Man, you guys are freaking me out! It's like my future is being planned for me

heheh, anyhow... before you all get too far with the mockups, I thought I would go ahead do one myself. I really liked Synotic's 3d looking top bar, so I incorporated that into mine.

Not having made a theme before, I don't know how much of this is feasible and whatnot and it definitely needs some tweaking, but that's my general idea for now.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by cmove:
Not like you can make.
It's OK c.....fireside was just teasing.....

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by dlanham:

heheh, anyhow... before you all get too far with the mockups, I thought I would go ahead do one myself. I really liked Synotic's 3d looking top bar, so I incorporated that into mine.

Not having made a theme before, I don't know how much of this is feasible and whatnot and it definitely needs some tweaking, but that's my general idea for now.
Hi David, hows the Tar Heel State treating you? I'll trade. You can come to Wilmington and have the Hurricanes..

As for the theme, the 3Dish mock-up posted earlier could work but the one you posted with the min/max/close widgets extended above the windows level won't....and to make matters worse, there isn't any cut and dry tutorial that will tell you what you can and can't do as far stepping outside of the bounds of the Apple GUI....keep us posted on your progress though.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 05:06 PM

Isn't it possible as long as the tops of the window widgets does not extend beyond the vertical limit of a titlebar?

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 05:44 PM

I love your handling of the title bar and the menus, however, I really don't like the 3D look of either of the mockups. Is there no way to have the texture be pleasing and regularized?

I emailed Mr. Lanham about all of this. I hope he takes a look at this thread to save us all

R

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:

I emailed Mr. Lanham about all of this. I hope he takes a look at this thread to save us all

R
You quoted his post.....hehehehe

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 06:09 PM

Wow david lanham... a themer in the making.... what i a great mock up of a theme! that would be sick!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 06:41 PM

snip

Looks nice to me. That titlebar would be awesome if you could pull it off...

fireside  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 07:35 PM

Isn't it possible as long as the tops of the window widgets does not extend beyond the vertical limit of a titlebar?
its possible but the way david has it the text would probably be screwed up.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 07:52 PM

Ya, the text would show up over the transparent part about halfway, probably pretty hard to read. I suggest you bring the effect up to the top for the part with text, just keep it so the widgets are above the 3d and the top of the "box" goes up to meet the top of the window. That might look odd but its probably the only way to get your desired effect.

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 08:13 PM

Oh yea, I see what you mean, the window title would be cut in half. That's no good then... back to the drawing board ^^

oh, quick thought: is it possible to resize the end caps for the titlebar so something like this would work:

idle
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 08:18 PM

looks fine to me but for some pro info better ask the geeks around here, hehe. Harlan, where are you?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 08:49 PM

Hmm.... i am pretty sure that would work!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 08:51 PM

Yep, thats exactly what I had in mind

Nice job!

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2004, 09:40 PM

totally possible, and totally sweet, I think you'll have a whole bunch of us prepared to help you bring a theme into fruition, but you have access to possibly one of the best OS X themers in max inside IF now

Forum Links
Forum Rules