Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer Query

Printer Query
sokukodo
Feb 16, 2006, 11:46 AM

Can anyone recommend a good printer compatible with Tiger?
Richard T.
1st generation G5 Dual 2Ghz w/ 8 Gigs of RAM;
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006, 02:14 PM

Are you looking for a laser or inkjet? Or does matter? What exactly are you trying to print or how are you going to use this printer?

sokukodo  (op)
Feb 17, 2006, 10:13 AM

Preferably inkjet; photos & general printing. This is for home use. The main thing is system compatabilty.
Richard T.
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006, 10:19 AM

Take a good look at the Canon line of printers. They are inexpensive and they produce excellent results. You will have a choice of three, four, six, or even eight color printers. However, if you want a printers that produces great text as well as pictures then take a close look at the Pixma 4200.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 18, 2006, 01:47 AM

Canon doesn't make any 3-color printers other than dedicated photo printers, which are obviously not what the OP is looking for.

sokudoku: in the future, please try to be specific when asking a question. Provide as much information as possible from the start.

tooki

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2006, 02:27 AM

Canon actually makes a four color printer but when it comes to printing pictures it only uses the color cartridges and the black is a composite of the three color combined. The dedicated black cartridge is used to print text.

sokukodo  (op)
Feb 18, 2006, 08:46 AM

Thanks guys. I should have been more specific (was posted at work and was in a hurry).
Richard T.
ATI Radeon X800 XT
20" Cinema Display

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Back up 15 and punt
Canon actually makes a four color printer but when it comes to printing pictures it only uses the color cartridges and the black is a composite of the three color combined. The dedicated black cartridge is used to print text.
I have two such 4-color Canons (an i850 and an iP3000, which use the same printhead actually) and they do use the black ink on photo paper, despite it not being the photo-optimized ink.

tooki

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 05:42 PM

well pretty much all hp canon lexmark epson and brother printers work with osx...

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
I have two such 4-color Canons (an i850 and an iP3000, which use the same printhead actually) and they do use the black ink on photo paper, despite it not being the photo-optimized ink.

tooki
When you print photo's the black is comprised of all three of the colors. The dedicated black cartridge (this cartridge is pigmented black ink while the color is dye based) is not used. If you have doubts about this contact Canon. Just to let you know I was a Canon representative at one time and I am quoting to you what Canon training taught me.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 04:31 AM

While others on this board seem to have a preference for Canon printers. I have always used HP printers with impressive results. They aren't the best choice for a photo processing machine, as their ink tends to cost a little bit more than their competition, but for everything else an HP printer makes a lot of sense.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

OreoCookie
Mar 1, 2006, 07:55 AM

I don't like HP for their ink policy. No separate ink tanks plus the ink tanks seem to shrink. My parents purchased a G85 a while ago (which, I guess, was based on the 970CX or so). After two-and-a-half years, HP replaced it with an OfficeJet 6100, and guess what, the ink cartridge is smaller … eeeeh, yeah. Thank you, but no thank you next time.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 10:11 AM

I also, at one time, was a big promoter of HP products. In fact, I represented HP for over three years in several retail stores. In that time I owned two printers and two of their scanners. Ink cost and lousy drivers changed my mind about HP products. I now use Canon products and I really haven't looked back. I just got rid of my last scanner (Scanjet 5500) because the drivers made it way to unreliable.

OreoCookie
Mar 1, 2006, 10:31 AM

Just a quick poll on this one, is it just me or do you also have the impression that HP lasers got less reliable as well. My department got a LaserJet 4250 (with all the trimmings) recently and after only 20,000 pages, the whole mechanics had to be replaced! Maybe we just got unlucky, but I am kinda concerned about the built-quality.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Just a quick poll on this one, is it just me or do you also have the impression that HP lasers got less reliable as well. My department got a LaserJet 4250 (with all the trimmings) recently and after only 20,000 pages, the whole mechanics had to be replaced! Maybe we just got unlucky, but I am kinda concerned about the built-quality.

HP has cheapened their entire line of printers. Its unfortunate because I was always willing to pay a little extra for the quality. Now you buy something and expect to throw it away when it breaks. The other thing that most people don't know is that Canon makes the actual engine for HP lasers. That doesn't mean that Canon is building lousy engines. These engines are built to HP's requirements.

OreoCookie
Mar 1, 2006, 10:43 AM

HP has used Canon engines since the dawn of days, I remember that I used parts of my LaserJet III to fix my LaserWriter IINTX.

However HP typically uses their own electronics, but in this case, the mechanics failed. (It made heartbreaking noises akin to the deceased LaserJet 4050 (after something like 415,000 pages. Apparently it was cheaper for the service to replace the whole mechanics instead of just the faulty part. A nice side effect is that the printer is considerably less noisy.)

bboisvert
Mar 2, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Prob unlucky, in the last 4 weeks the HP4000 beside me has printed 140 000 pages.

bboisvert
Mar 2, 2006, 07:40 PM

Im give strong support to HP. Even though the ink cartages are tri not individual, I found that it cost me less using a HP then a Epson with individual ink tanks, good drivers, reliable printers, great prints.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 2, 2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Prob unlucky, in the last 4 weeks the HP4000 beside me has printed 140 000 pages.
Right -- you missed the point completely. The point was that when the LJ 4000 series was made, HP's quality was much higher than it is now.

tooki

OreoCookie
Mar 3, 2006, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that the built quality of HP was much better a few years ago. My department's LJ 4050 (which uses the same mechanics as the LJ 4000 AFAIK) lasted for ages when the new 4250 needed to have the mechanics replaced after three months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules