Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Slow iMac

Slow iMac
Harvey
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2013, 12:08 PM

Hi,
I have an 8 year old iMac running Mavericks (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) with a new 750 HD an power pact. Is there anything I can do to speed it up. Years ago there were keyboard procedures that would help. Are they still viable?

Harvey

PS . . . new iMac in January.

P
Dec 16, 2013, 01:16 PM

The obvious thing you can do is add more RAM, but DDR2 is expensive now, and if you're getting a new in a month anyway, I wouldn't bother. Make sure that the HDD is not completely full, close apps that you're not using to free some memory, the regular stuff. Not sure what keyboard procedures you mean?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2013, 02:47 PM

Resetting the PRam and such. Is this still done.

P
Dec 16, 2013, 03:11 PM

Resetting PRAM is command-option-P-R at boot, but it doesn't usually affect speed.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2013, 09:15 PM

I think I see the problem ... it's called "an eight-year-old Mac."

If you're willing to invest some money in keeping this warhorse going, here's the four things you can do that will have the most positive effect:

1. Keep LOTS of hard drive space available -- at least 25GB, more if possible. OS X likes room to work. Totally free of cost, but makes a difference.
2. Max out the RAM.
3. Consider buying a "hybrid" HD/SSD unit like this one. It's way cheaper than a real SSD but will give you a HUGE boost in speed.
4. If you're not already doing so, run OnyX using the Automation tab (unchecking the things you don't want reset, of course). AVOID THE CRAPWARE MACKEEPER AT ALL COSTS.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

billmboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2013, 03:09 AM

Just got a new 27" i7 To replace my 24" iMac 2.4 Ghz. After wiping and reinstalling with Maverick it was running very fast. The people I sold it to have Two windows computers with i5 quad core and 8 gig of ram and can't keep up with the 8 year old iMac. You Need to upgrade the ram in the imac to 6 gig. OWC Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac will sell you what you need. I ran FinalCut pro with that machine for 8 years.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
OnyX using the Automation tab (unchecking the things you don't want reset, of course). AVOID THE CRAPWARE MACKEEPER AT ALL COSTS.
Virtually everything you can do under the "Automation" tab in Onyx will actually SLOW DOWN your computer if it makes any difference at all — caches exist for a reason, and that reason is to SPEED UP regenerative tasks that depend upon content that would have to be re-generated every time. Deleting caches forces the machine to recalculate them every time, slowing performance.
Deleting specific caches can be a troubleshooting measure if you're seeing problems.
Doing so as a preventative measure is just stupid, and doing so with the intent of speeding up your computer is completely ass-backwards.

Other things like repairing permissions serve absolutely no purpose at all, unless you're actually seeing problems - in which case, you can perform that from Disk Utility.

Agreed on MacKeeper.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2013, 04:37 PM

I agree about MacKeeper. . . but hear so many people who advise me to use Onyx. I have it and must admit it has never impressed me . . . possibly because it is doing some things that I do not understand. I am also familiar with OW software and have used them. Can I add the RAM to my existing configuration or would you recommend I remove my extra RAM?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2013, 04:39 PM

Onyx performs functions that were useful until Apple changed the housekeeping task management back in 10.4 or 10.3.

People still recommend it because wasting everybody's time is rarely punished.

Forum Links
Forum Rules