Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 54)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 10:38 AM

sek, I highly recommend this as your next tool. I use it for terraforming/clearing out room when building.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 12:09 PM

The energy exchange box is so damn cool, I can get anything I need within seconds now. Of course, you have to be careful about certain items, like glass... I needed some glass so I went over to duplicate some and BAM! Like 20 stacks of glass. Well, guess I've got glass for a while now.

I re-jiggered my power setup, and it seems running the quarry from the batbox along with everything else was a mistake. Now the quarry runs right off the LV Panels, and the rest runs off my new MFE unit. BTW, a regular electric furnace with 6 overclocks runs hilariously fast.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 12:23 PM

You do realize you can lat the box eat the glass back up, right?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 12:34 PM

I sure do, but I figured "when in rome" If I need some Cobble (which I'm actually always low on) I'll just grab a few stacks and convert them back.

Seems the Rotary Macerator is a huge energy hog, what are you using for power?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 12:36 PM

Just the two solar panels. My entire set-up is inadequate right now, which is why I'm focused on setting up the lair and by extension the new power system and machine layout (I don't have any machines outputting to other machines).

I'm thinking of adding some hydro power, too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 12:52 PM

I've dumped all my resources into making the LV Arrays, and now...with 9 of them.... and the MFE I am able to run the Quarry, Overclocked (x2) Macerator, Overclocked (x2) Extractor, and two electric ovens with still a small build up of energy in the MFE.

All it took was:

954 Copper Wire
432 Restone
720 Refined Iron
288 Tin
576 Cobble
216 Coal Dust
216 Glass
27 Copper
36 Wood

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
My quarry was closer to ground then I thought and it ate the ceiling. I started to replace it, but removed it again because I had built it one block too low. I would think a tree would be deconstructed from the top down.
I know if the tree was there before it will tear it down. Im wondering if you pointed a dozen cobble generators into the hole if the quarry will keep harvesting them even if they may be above the point it's currently harvesting.

Put a chest on the pipe before and once it's full the cobble will go past. If you prefill each spot you can even control what goes without diamond pipe.

If you've seen cycl0pses wheat machine, I built one that's semi automatic, in that I have to refill it with seed and bone meal. It's energy negative though so ill need a good source of bonemeal. But it makes 30 wheat in 2sec. No clicking required.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 06:03 AM

I did a lot of work last night, but I didn't get a lot done. I cleared out a sort of utility basement to hide wiring and piping and between matching aesthetic and making errors with this baby, it took most of the time I put in.

In other news, I went on another pumpkin hunt (fail) and noticed these skinny towers in the distance, so I decided to see what they were about. Oil Geysers. I'll post the pics later. The thing about oil, though, is I'm not sure how to make use of it. I'm not interested in piping it long distances, and I'm not sure if I can convert the fuel into useful or transferrable energy for IndustrialCraft.

That leaves me with the option of using it to power something locally, but that sounds like more work, depending on how much maintenance/care combustion engines require. All-in-all, I may end up just ignoring it altogether.

---

Seriously, though, if the Destruction Catalyst is the ideal tool for carving out your niche, the Mercurial Eye is the ideal tool for modifying or building in that space.

andi*pandi
Jul 26, 2012, 06:22 AM

1.3 is out. Official date is August 1, but it is out!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 08:18 AM

I was busy last night as well. My 4th Quarry hole (heh) is almost finished up and I now have 12 LV Arrays. I upgraded to an Induction furnace and the macerator has 8 Overclocks, so finally the entire setup is automated, from mining to final smelted ingots. Both machines can now handle a continuous load without backing the works up, I really should have made an Induction Furnace earlier, that thing flies through smelting.

I also built a Mining Laser which is, for lack of a better word, awesomesauce.

You can see the ore moving above the chest top left, dust coming out of the Macerator and heading towards the Furnace center, and the smelted bars heading into my chest afterwards.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was busy last night as well.  My 4th Quarry hole (heh) is almost finished up and I now have 12 LV Arrays.  I upgraded to an Induction furnace and the macerator has 8 Overclocks, so finally the entire setup is automated, from mining to final smelted ingots.  Both machines can now handle a continuous load without backing the works up, I really should have made an Induction Furnace earlier, that thing flies through smelting.

I also built a Mining Laser which is, for lack of a better word, awesomesauce.

You can see the ore moving above the chest top left, dust coming out of the Macerator and heading towards the Furnace center, and the smelted bars heading into my chest afterwards.
If I ever get it up and running my place is going amaze you.

Haven't run a quarry since the first because I want to run them underground and that means I need to come up with a power source for them.

I think I'll focus on upgrading my solar panels next time I'm on, as I have a host of Mark Is that aren't going to cut it.

I'm not sure I want the mining laser... I'm into precision and it might not be it for me. As for a weapon, I'm looking into crafting a dark matter sword soon. Spent most of my disposable EMC yesterday crafting the Mercurial Eye (Still have about 24 diamonds to spare).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 09:30 AM

Once my immediate area is quarried out I plan on moving this setup to a new location and cleaning up that goddawful mess. It isn't pretty, but it functions pretty well.

At this point I'm just clicking around the wiki to plan my next move, because really I have no idea where to go next with anything.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 10:06 AM

So flying around in an electric jetpack with the mining laser set to Explosive is a sight to behold.

If you get some spare time to horse around I recommend it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 10:08 AM

So flying around in an electric jetpack with the mining laser set to Explosive is a sight to behold.

If you get some spare time to horse around I recommend it.
I've seen videos. I also know the margin of error for landing with a Jetpack means I'd constantly kill myself accidentally. I might toy with one later when I start exploring. the mountains next to my home more throughly (It might help me find a pumpkin!).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 10:25 AM

Rubber boots help immensely, not to mention, since a recent update the falling damage is no longer carried over even if you land very softly. In those Duncan videos he takes massive damage even if he lands like a feather.

Starting the process to make enough Dark Matter to get the flying ring, though it is an extremely expensive undertaking.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 10:27 AM

Heh, I wear Rubber Boots all the time. I'll look into it later.

Given the advantage of being able to use pure EMC, its only fair how expensive some of those EE items are. Do you have any energy collectors?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 10:40 AM

Not yet, no, but I just found out that Uranium is worth a toooon of EMC. Just made 4 Dark Matter so that means this guy is now mine http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Swif...s_Rending_Gale

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I'm sitting on like 8 uranium too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 AM

I was sitting on like.....38

Behold!

The ring uses fuel to work, but Mobius Fuel powers it for a full 20 minutes of use, not bad. Now cleaning the walls of the quarry pits for extra goodies is even easier. I'll keep the Jetpack as a backup just in case the ring runs out of fuel.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 10:57 AM

Unfortunately I refined like 9 or 19 that won't convert in the energy condenser. I may have already spent another 10 or so.

Edit: Sek Industries Mining Operations

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 11:05 AM

Equivalency Exchange is quite possibly the most useful of all the mods.

Other things, not game-breaking, that should be in Vanilla MInecraft. Ability to sort chests (huuuuge) and Waypoints (also pretty huge) would be a very welcome addition.

Edit: As it is readily apparent, Tekkit has very much re-invigorated my love of Minecraft, it's honestly like discovering the game all over again. For anyone on the fence, just give it a try, it might seem very daunting...and in the beginning it kind of is, but once you get the ball rolling it's a blast.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

I saw Ender Chests (a mod) are coming 1.3. Will be nice to have for separate bases whenever Tekkit updates after that.

Edit:  As it is readily apparent, Tekkit has very much re-invigorated my love of Minecraft, it's honestly like discovering the game all over again.
You were warned! Which is why your ass needs to sign onto BF3 one of these nights.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2012, 03:15 PM

Best power source on a budget, lava buckets from an energy condenser into a geothermal generator. I haven't bothered to set it up to be automatic but I can just cart buckets to it. Btw eggs are worth 32! I should get a colonel sanders skin. Been trying out the electric jet pack but it action inconsistent.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 05:29 PM

With the low horsepower of my machine I found it to be very laggy, even on normal draw distance.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 06:25 PM

Flying ring + Mining Laser + Nano Armor = extremely quick and brazen exploration and goodie-snatching. A direct hit from a creeper does no damage.

Having a blast zooming around the world now. I made a "chimney" which is the only way in or out of my base, and provides a perfectly safe exit/entrance. I fall down like Santa Claus and unload my goodies, and then *whoosh* it's back out the chimney for adventure.

I also just found an oil geyser. I doubt it'll be of any real use, but I'll probably play with it in the future.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2012, 07:18 PM

Triple-Post FTW

So yeah, just to restate, my current setup allows for such absurdly quick harvesting of goodies it's not even funny.

Just fly to a random area, laser your way down in seconds (long-range setting perfect for this) then zoom around the caves you will inevitably find and pick off the surface goodies with the low-power setting.

This is what macerating/smelting should look like:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Btw eggs are worth 32! I should get a colonel sanders skin.
This is a beautiful mental image. You need to make an automated chicken coop and then give it the exterior of a KFC.

With the low horsepower of my machine I found it to be very laggy, even on normal draw distance.
Yeah, I've been wanting to mention that it seems to run even worse than regular minecraft.

---

My progress has been slow. Didn't have much time last night, but I'm somewhat designing the layout as I place machines. Already blew up underrated cabling and had a creeper blow a hole next to my solar panels (thanks reinforced glass) and another mysteriously appeared in my basement blowing up my MFE (I assume a lighting problem).

Also that induction furnace uses an amazing amount of power.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 AM

So yesterday was a day of Equivalent Exchange. I made my first Dark Matter and also, as pictured front left, my first Energy Collectors. I have 5 of them around an antimatter relay which is connected to another energy condensor. I left it running overnight and this morning it had given me 45 Diamond (!) I also made my first Klein Star (tier 2) that holds 200,000 EMC.

Also, notice that little Solar Array all by himself sunk in the ground? That's my first MV Array. Instead of cannibalizing my LV array setup, which produces more than enough power for my Rotary Macerator and Induction Furnace, I decided to make the MV Array from scratch. That means my first task was creating 64 Solar Panels (!) The MV now feeds its own MFE which in turn powers the Quarry day and night. I had tried to power everything from the LV Arrays via one MFE, but found that a combo of the drain of the "always on" machines (Macerator/Furnace) and the drain of the Quarry was to much during the night and bad weather to re-coup the losses during the day.

After this Marathon session this week I'm going to be busy all weekend, but now I can leave it running and gather an absurd amount of energy for my next project, which is moving the entire operation somewhere more flat and re-structuring all the machines and wiring.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2012, 07:51 AM

I'm still on the fence about leaving the minecraft client running to gain EMC. On one hand, if it was server I guess it would be happening regardless, but on the other hand, on a single-player game, it seems like a really strong advantage. As it is now, I'm still having to ration and make decisions as to what technology to expand. I still can't afford dark matter tools, and all my solar panels are mk 1.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 08:00 AM

Eh, I figure if this was a sever it would be running all the time anyways. I'd like to eventually make a decent-sized HV Solar array to power a Mass Fabricator, and making that much Solar Panels from scratch, or gathered materials, sounds like a massive pain in the ass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2012, 08:02 AM

UU matter is overrated, IMO.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 08:19 AM

But you need it for the Quantum Armor, so I can go swimming in lava.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2012, 08:21 AM

I don't see anything in the recipe I can't currently make right now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 08:34 AM

Iridium Ore is needed, and can only be crafted from UU Matter

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2012, 08:53 AM

Hmm... you're right. No matter, I'm not sure I care about the armor (except the helmet, maybe).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 08:56 AM

When I'm splashing around in lava having the time of my life you better not whine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2012, 08:58 AM

I definitely want pictures.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 09:46 AM

Getting a bit crowded, certainly time for a new location.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2012, 04:26 PM

So i've been on vacation on my work laptop. I feel your pain Laminar, 15fps. Ugg. So i'm building my evil genious lab.

4664/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
You put all the mining spoil and minerals into the chest above the charger. It then gets sorted into the three double chests.
4660/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Really confusing pipes with diamond sorting sections, one way pieces, and the maserator and furnace in the middle.
4661/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
What is an energy condenser all by its self good for? Why, it's on the receiving end of this. You can see a glowstone en-route.
4662/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
And to power everything. Geothermal generators. Fed from a energy condenser. The lava bucket is only 64 more than an empty bucket. The key is the retriever from Redpower to suck out the empty buckets. Right now there's actually a surplus of lava buckets.
4663/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2012, 08:34 PM

Well I made a break for a nice flat-ish desert and set up my new digs.

A lot more room to spread out, and a full basement underneath for wiring/piping, which is still very much in its rough state at the moment. If I ever do make a Nuclear Reactor I reckon I'll use the quarry to dig a massive hole under this base and put it far enough away in case things get out of hand.

I did encounter a really odd bug. I took apart my LV Arrays, all 12 of them, and transplanted them to the location you see in the photo above. When I returned to my original base to continue the moving process the LV Arrays, the MFE and all the wiring were back. I decided to not take advantage of this and just left it there. Very strange.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2012, 09:11 AM

I found the solution to the crowding. Teleport pipes. Worth every diamond. They'll transmit power too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2012, 04:49 PM

Teleport pipes eh? That could simplify things greatly for me.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2012, 05:09 PM

My quarry isnt even visible on normal and I get stuff from it. Just the quarry and 4 pieces of pipe.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2012, 05:15 PM

So theoretically I could use a Teleport pipe exiting the quarry, a receiver pipe connected to a Diamond Switching Pipe and multiple teleport pipes to the various chests and machines?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2012, 05:54 PM

Well they take 1 diamond per pipe so you could but I wouldn't for short distances. There's a limit of 1000.

I have a power teleported plugged into a power like and another at the front of my sorter. Then the quarry is really compact. And easier than making trips to feed lava buckets into a generator like I was before.
4680/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2012, 08:29 PM

Well I tinkered with a few ideas and ultimately came up with this.

Center screen bottom is 3 teleport pipes and one diamond sorting pipe in a T configuration. One teleport pipe is the receiving end of the Quarry. Then two more teleport pipes send material to the Macerator (coal, ores) and the Energy Condensor (junk). Gems/Lapis/Uranium/etc are piped straight up into a chest. The Macerator pipes the ore dust to the Induction Furnace via another teleport pipe while a sorting pipe sends only the coal dust into an iron junction and then into the gem chest. After seeing your photo, Blaze, I realized that I forgot to use gold pipe to speed everything up...but that's an easy swap. LV Array pictured right charging the main MFE, which steps the voltage down with a transformer** and sends it to the machines and another MFE used to charge weapons and armor in the main crafting area.

Up top you can see only the teleport receivers are visible (I wish you could have ONLY the teleport pipe hooked directly to things). Golds chest provides tons of space, there's a Transmutation Tablet and poking through the ceiling is the second Energy Condensor hooked up to the Antimatter Relay rounding out the crafting area. I'm trying to forgo a Crafting Table and just use the Philosopher's Stone instead.

**So I wasn't able to tell for sure whether or not my advanced machines (macerator/furnace) can handle the 128EU output on the MFE without blowing up. I'm using a LV transformer but I'm not sure it's needed for those machines. Getting rid of it will simplify the process

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2012, 05:47 AM

I believe there's a transformer upgrade required for them to handle higher voltage. Except the mass fabricator.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2012, 02:35 PM

Hmm, seems almost easier just to stick with the LV Transformer then, unless power output from one of those is less or something.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2012, 03:13 PM

We'll if you use a bunch of overclockers then you need the higher power.

Step 1.
4691/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Step 2.
4692/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
There's a automatic crafting bench on the left there converting the UU Matter directly to irridium.
Step 3.

The bronze pipe from Redpower will insert into a chest from the side (maybe below). There's a redpower block that will pull out of chests. I use this to convert from the stone pipe to the bronze pipe. I just have to use a timer to keep triggering the mechanism since there's no block detector in buildcraft pipes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2012, 04:14 PM

Some weekend posting to give you some screens.

The double oil geyser. Look for the tip of second above the tree near center.

The base of the tree. More oil.

Jungle geyser I found. That's in the jungle. This way above the already high canopy.

Volcano Geyser. Check out the mini-map.

Cobblestone generator Mark II. The original was one channel, two deep. This one is two channels, six deep. New cobble is formed every 0.8 seconds, providing 12 EMC. That's 900 EMC a minute.

Across from it is my library.

The lighting adds to the magical experience.

---

Found the use for the jetpack - traversing the nether (looking for a fortress). Exceedingly useful. The destruction catalyst is also great for creating a tunnel with just a few clicks.

I'll be posting more of my place this week as I fine tune some aspects of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules