Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Smart or Stupid

Smart or Stupid
Kelvasco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 04:29 PM

I have a iMac G4 shell, everything in it is broke. I am thinking of getting a Mac Mini Duo 2 Core when they come out maybe late Feb next year. I was thinkin of taking apart the mini then putting all the parts inside the iMac shell. I know this is sort of in another tread but theres more. I want to replace the tray loading tray in the iMac with a new DL Pioneer model. I also was looking a replacing the 17" LCD with a 17" LCD from a broken Macbook Pro ( glossy screen ).

I was wonderin is there anyway this could all be done. I know this project could cost alot and it would be cheaper to just buy a iMac Intel but they look so bad and I love the iMac form. Cheers.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 07:32 PM

Stupid. What is wrong with the Intel iMacs?

StillSkirtingTheBan
Banned
Jul 13, 2006, 09:29 PM

Learn to solder. Really really small ****. Then it's possible I think.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 09:42 PM

hey now... it's not stupid.

If the guy likes the iMac LampShade design, that's -his- preference. Even if it's more costly to do such a transplant, it might actually present a great learning experience for him. Is there a better way to know your mac inside and out, short of working for Apple's hardware dev. division or working as an Apple certified repair technician?

btw, why not call classic car admirers stupid for restoring a 1968 Dodge Charger? Or the inner-city hip-hop brothas for spendin' hella dough just to pimp up their rides. (rides that in and of themselves look like they're out of the 70's-80's, by the way).

Not everybody likes what's fresh off the production line nor are so blinded to go for the latest or greatest trends... (sure... probably most do..... but not everybody)

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Kelvasco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 03:55 PM

Cheers for the support Confusion. I will probably try it when the new mac mini with Core 2 Duo come out. I love to put new live into old stuff instead of jumping on the band wagon with all these new ugly products. As Confusion said people tht restore cars (which i also do come on the 1973 MGB GT V8) and pimp there rides can be called stupid for the same reasons. But what I could get at the end of this is a very fast, up to date and gorgous looking Mac n if that is stupid then i'm the dumpest person on earth lol. Anyway mre commets are welcome cheers.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 10:19 PM

I don't mean it is stupid, like it wouldn't be cool. I think it would be awesome if it worked. But what if you break something? That is a risk that I personally wouldn't be willing to take. I am all for new cpus inside of old cases, and especially restoring old cars. Man I want a '69 Chevelle SS396.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 11:40 AM

You'd be alot better off with a standalone 17" LCD instead of one from another Mac.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 12:45 PM

Except that would kinda ruin the point of the project though.

pinktank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 06:22 AM

dismantling a cheap 17lcd will do you better as you cannot run a laptop lcd as easily as that, usually a controller runs aroudn 200$

Forum Links
Forum Rules