Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why don't teams go for it on 4th and inches?

Why don't teams go for it on 4th and inches?
starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 10:12 PM

Seriously. I don't get it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:16 PM

What?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2004, 10:20 PM

depends on where they are on the field ,score of the game, etc.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
depends on where they are on the field ,score of the game, etc.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 10:56 PM

I hope the Packers lose

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 11:08 PM

What's this football you speak of?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
I hope the Packers lose
24-7. I doubt they'll lose. Carolina sucks tonight.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 05:49 AM

cause they have no faith in their offense, and the offensive line is getting Pwned! by the defensive line ... and ... while Pwned! is childish ... i use it only in extreme cases to get my point across

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 08:47 AM

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. I've always thought that the coach had no BALLS and no CONFIDENCE in his team and so that's why they kick or punt on 4th and inches. I still think that this is the case. I mean...come on! It ain't that hard. Bunch of pansies if you ask me.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 10:12 AM

Better yet, why do teams on 3rd and 10+ insist on running the ball to gain the necessary yards and/or a 3 yard pass to the sideline?

[/Kansas City Chiefs]

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 10:12 AM

Football is a game of field position. What you're really risking by going for it on fourth down is that if you don't make it, it's like giving the other team thirty or forty yards right off the bat.

Getting those few inches on the play is totally a function of how well your offensive line can get off the ball. If they can't push the defensive line back, then you should punt every time.

Even if you're on the other guys' 35, and you don't have confidence in your kicker to make a 50+ yard FG, you might want to punt anyway if your defense is good. Worst case is you only move them back 15 yards after the touchback, but best case is you can trap them inside the 5 and leave it to your defense to stop them...

Having said all that, the coach who picks the right time to go for it on 4th down can really punp his team up if they make it. It could be the difference maker in the game.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Better yet, why do teams on 3rd and 10+ insist on running the ball to gain the necessary yards and/or a 3 yard pass to the sideline?

[/Kansas City Chiefs]

If you've got a good running back and he finds the hole, he can probably gain 10 yards if the play is designed well. The defense is probably guessing pass in that case, anyway.

But I agree with you on those short sideline passes: you really need to fool the defense pretty well to turn that into a 10 yard gain.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
If you've got a good running back and he finds the hole, he can probably gain 10 yards if the play is designed well. The defense is probably guessing pass in that case, anyway.
The Chiefs are so predicatable that everybody knows they are going to run on 3rd down is the problem...and if the running back is good enough to run 10 yards on a well-designed play, why don't they run that play on 1st and 2nd down?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
The Chiefs are so predicatable that everybody knows they are going to run on 3rd down is the problem...and if the running back is good enough to run 10 yards on a well-designed play, why don't they run that play on 1st and 2nd down?

IIRC, Mr. Green threw for almost 200 yards in that game... add a guy like Priest Holmes in your backfield, and you have quite a potent offense. Do you think maybe the defense is more of a problem for KC?

BTW, this is the first year that I'm in a Fantasy Football league (along with my wife ) and it has added a lot to my enjoyment of football. This year, while the Bills throw away games in the final minute, I can take solace in the fact that I can follow players who are actually doing well. Like Mr. Holmes, who my wife picked first overall...)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Do you think maybe the defense is more of a problem for KC?
Definitely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules