Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Surprising temperature in Macbook or sensor fail?

Surprising temperature in Macbook or sensor fail?
rusua
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 06:31 PM

Hello,

I bought a 31 week Macbook six days ago. I updated the SMC firmware, and now, it's surprising, my Macbook has a temp of 25-35º, using Safari, MacMSN, Skype, QuickTime or DivX Player, iTunes and Firefox (i usually use without the battery). The max temp i have reached with the macbook was 64º when i charged the battery while i do things at macbook.

Before the update, my max temp was over 60-65º, and 45 average. The surprising temps under 40 at full use now make me feel insecure, maybe sensor is damaged and it couldn't sensoring well? Is it possible this temps? I have noticed that my macbook has slowly behavior (512 RAM) sometimes, opening large videos per exemple.

What do you think about this? Thanks!!!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2006, 06:44 PM

Has the case been noticeably cooler since the update?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 06:48 PM

The MacBook is not a refridgerator therefore I would say that the sesor went bad . The MacBook shouldn't be that cold unless you are operating in Barrow, Alaska, or the like. And welcome to MacNN

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2006, 08:02 PM

Who operates their refrigerator at 80 degrees Fahrenheit???

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2006, 08:24 PM

Those temperatures have to be in Celcius. But that's not so astoundingly low as to be unbelievable. Is the case warm to the touch, or HOT?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 08:28 PM

Just given the chips, cooling system, and enclosure I'd expect to see about 40C idle and 60-80C under full load. It seems like reported CPU temperatures on the MacBooks/MacBook Pros are all over the place, from 40C full load to 70C idle.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 11:10 PM

Oops I was thinking Farenhite notC

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2006, 08:48 AM

The ONLY time my mbp(not mb) reaches those types of temps are when I boot it up from a cold start for the first miniute or two.

Anyways, if your sensors were jacked, the readings wouldn't even register or fluctuate due to load? If those were the true temps, I would consider myself a very lucky MB owner. I would give anything to have those temps. My MBP idles at 55*C and mid 60s in regular use. Used to be 10-12*C higher before my mobo was replaced.

rusua  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 11:40 AM

Thx for all I have seen that it's better use Macbook without battery. I will take care of it, now my temp is 22� (Celsius) average, 50 minutes on. However, the micro corner of laptop is hot as usually was. I will continue with tests of load, and battery, and i will tell you any news

Thank you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules