Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AppleWorks 6.1 for OSX is much better...

AppleWorks 6.1 for OSX is much better...
NateMarg
Mar 26, 2001, 01:37 AM

I downloaded the Apple Works 6.1 update and installed it this afternoon. I wasn't hoping for much - Apple Works 6.0 was so bad that it was unusable! Boy was I surprised at the number of changes they made. I was more or less expecting just an interface clean-up and a few bug fixes. But, Apple actually went in and made improvements to many of the promised features of 6.0

Tables in 6.1 have seen a lot of improvement. The tables now properly adjust and readjust to entries in the cells!

The so called improved icons and palettes from 6.0 have been reworked. Now under 6.1, the most used items are always conveniently located in the toolbar.

I haven't fooled around with the presentation portion yet. That part of the suite was very disappointing in 6.0.

Outlining actually works in a semi-intuitive manner.

Apple Works is still a lower end suite of tools with limitations on cross platform files (haven't tried with DataViz translators) but Apple is finally pointing it in the right direction.
QS 733 - 640MB 40GB
iMac DV 400 - 384MB 40GB
iBook SE 366 - 320MB 6GB

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 01:44 AM

AppleWorks didn't come bundled with my Cube. (You would think it would, wouldn't you, what with it in the early day costing so much and all.)

Apple should've at least made a demo version instead of requiring people to already have 6.0.4 which could then be updated by the just released 6.1 updater.

Of course, I could surf over to the Apple Store and enter my credit card details just to get the first Carbon productivity suite.

And after A$224 for the OS, A$62 for a QuickTime 5 Pro key, A$107 for another 128 MB of RAM, I'm really in the mood to do that... :-(

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2001, 01:48 AM

I'm confused... I downloaded and ran the updater, which obviously did a lot of something and then claimed to have successfully completed but then I still have AppleWorks 6.0.4 with no 6.1 to be seen anywhere, let alone the promised OS X beta version!

Am I missing something here?

I mean how obvious is it that this thing has updated? The get info (inspector) window tells me 6.0.4, so does the About AppleWorks command. Does the installer replace the original file, or create a new one in some obscure location (it didn't ask me where I wanted it to go! just searched until it thought it found somewhere good).

bitfly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2001, 01:51 AM

Well AppleWorks for OSX is still real bad. Have a look at the open/save boxes to see what I am talking about. Considering that AppleWorks was a carbon App from day 1 a year ago, it should be stellar by now. This 6.1 "Preview" makes Apple look like they are full of caca, why? "Apps should only take a couple of weeks to carbonize" Steve Jobs.

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2001, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
I'm confused... I downloaded and ran the updater, which obviously did a lot of something and then claimed to have successfully completed but then I still have AppleWorks 6.0.4 with no 6.1 to be seen anywhere, let alone the promised OS X beta version!

Am I missing something here?

I mean how obvious is it that this thing has updated? The get info (inspector) window tells me 6.0.4, so does the About AppleWorks command. Does the installer replace the original file, or create a new one in some obscure location (it didn't ask me where I wanted it to go! just searched until it thought it found somewhere good).

The update will ONLY WORK on the US version of Appleworks currently - to quote the UK Apple Web site international updates/UK version anyway "will be available very soon"

------------------
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2001, 02:12 AM

In fact just been to apple/uk/ and version 6.1 international version is now available...

------------------

NateMarg  (op)
Mar 26, 2001, 02:22 AM

Brass, after I running the updater (I ran it under OS 9.1 - not under classic), Apple Works shows up as 6.1 beta in Show Info. It also has a new icon.

Apple Works still isn't that great but now it is at least a usable app. After paying for it last fall, i ended up using AW 5 because 6 was so awful. AW 6.1 has rough edges (a lot) but it could be used by people not wanting to use classic.

Hopefully, by the time of MWNY, they will have it polished into the great little app that AW once was... and preload it on new machines (including cubes )
QS 733 - 640MB 40GB
iMac DV 400 - 384MB 40GB
iBook SE 366 - 320MB 6GB

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2001, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by bitfly:
Well AppleWorks for OSX is still real bad. Have a look at the open/save boxes to see what I am talking about. Considering that AppleWorks was a carbon App from day 1 a year ago, it should be stellar by now. This 6.1 "Preview" makes Apple look like they are full of caca, why? "Apps should only take a couple of weeks to carbonize" Steve Jobs.
I'm not following u... what's the problem with open/save dialog boxes? I just had a pleasant experience saving an Appleworks 6 document as a pdf via Preview.app so i could print my document off in a computer lab that didn;t support Appleworks 6.1. Worked well, atlesat for me. Could u be a little more specific in ur complaint?

F-bacher

bleen
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 04:42 AM

There are A TON of translators in AW 6.1!!!!! Wow! Good Job Apple!

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 10:13 AM

Where is AppleWorks 6.1 International-English? I don't see it anywhere! :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules