Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook or stick with my powerbook g4

macbook or stick with my powerbook g4
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2006, 10:05 PM

help me decide, here are the specs:

Current Powerbook G4 15" hi-rez screen 1.67ghz
100GB, 2GB RAM, superdrive

i have the opportunity to get a macbook as a replacement.

core duo 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB hd, superdrive

downsides of me switching:
1) loss of screen real estate
2) loss of dedicated video card/vram

upsides:
1) option of running windows, which in my job is a very good thing, i use my mac for 50% of my work, and am connected to either a terminal server, or a virtual machine for the other half
2) smaller, i make a bunch of offsite visits
3) i'd have a newer machine

what would you do?

ricgnzlzcr
Aug 4, 2006, 11:54 PM

It's really sad that you're losing that gorgeous powerbook, but if you do use windows often, then its probably a good idea to switch to a macbook. The extra power doesn't hurt either!

masugu
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 12:10 AM

The rest of the MacBook of today will make up for the shortcomings you listed... CPU speed, memory, OS response, glossy screen...horsepower for coming universal binaries, etc.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

efeokur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 03:01 PM

Just make sure that all the essential programs you use on your PowerBook do work on MacBook, I have just read about SPSS not working correctly on IntelCoreDuos.
iBook 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 iwth 512mb Ram on Max OS X 10.4.7
iPod 30Gb with Video support

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 08:10 PM

efeokur, thanks for the reply, yeah i actually have 3 coworkers using macbooks now, so i know that the tools we use will work just fine. I've put my order in for the macbook, i'm going to try using it and see if it fits what i want. if not it will just go to someone else i work with, that's a good deal, if i don't like i'll just stick with my G4, so technically....problem solved :-D i'l report back on my thoughts!

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2006, 08:14 PM

Go with the Macbook.
It's above and beyond the G4 in so many ways.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by kobi
Go with the Macbook.
It's above and beyond the G4 in so many ways.
Yeah, like failure and death.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Yeah, like failure and death.
Who died and appointed you Chief Troll of the Forums?

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by efeokur
Just make sure that all the essential programs you use on your PowerBook do work on MacBook, I have just read about SPSS not working correctly on IntelCoreDuos.
Can you show me a link about that SPSS not working on Intel CD? Because I was going to switch to a MacBook, since we need to use SPSS for university next year. Thanks!
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 10:26 PM

so i got the macbook, and after a day of using it, i love it. i'm going to give up my G4 PB. it's just as fast as my G4 in most things (some rosetta stuff like adobe cs related is slow, but id on't use it much) i love the size of it, it is perfect, and althought the screen isn't as hi a rez as the PB, it's really not bad. I love the glossy screen, the keyboard is great, right clicks with the trackpad (without installing 3rd party software that is) and i like the remote since i use it to play to my airport express at home. anyway, i've already bought delicious library and have been using it to catalog my media library. so yeah, it's great. thanks to all who replied :-)

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 02:05 AM

Keep the money from the RAM upgrade and the HD upgrade. Buy 2GB when you need it.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 02:05 AM

Have you tried out SPSS yet?

And congrats on the purchase!
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 07:16 AM

The Godfather, actually it came ordered that way, this is a work computer, so yeah, i had them spec it out nice. at least i got the choice of keeping my old ;-)

azt33, no i haven't tried out SPSS, it is not a bit of software i would be using in my day to day anyway. If i happen to test it out, i'll update ya

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 06:10 PM

yeah, I understand what you mean about the size, duboy... I have what has to be one of the most clunky 15" laptops in existence... my Thinkpad is HORRIBLE on both form factor and design. I can't wait till I get my MacBook in 15 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes, and 38 seconds.

(don't you just love Javascript countdowns?)
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

marselen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 02:57 PM

I had the same PowerBook you're referring to and I sold it to buy a MacBook as soon as they came out. By far, this is my favorite Apple laptop. I've owned PowerBooks since 1997 (5300, WallStreet, Lombard, Titanium, White iBook 12" Aluminum G4 15") and for me, the MacBook is the perfect combination of size and screen real estate. It runs faster than my last PowerBook, runs Windows whenever I need to and the battery lasts longer than any Apple laptop I've owned. Plus, built-in iSight and remote are just added benefits.

Forum Links
Forum Rules