Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X does not recognize VCDs

OS X does not recognize VCDs
bleen
Senior User
Mar 26, 2001, 02:50 AM

I'm surprised, but not completely... With all the talk of no DVD support, I tried putting in a VCD I made a while back. OS X does not recognize the CD

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2001, 03:53 PM

Well, I wish more people would comment on this, but I guess Americans are out of the "VCD Loop".

I find this thing very funny. OS9 has support for VCDs. Quicktime plays VCDs, right (on Mac OS, aparently not on Winders). And I always thought that the VCD "filesystem" was ISO 9660 or whatever. Anything should be able to mount the CD. It's almost as if OSX knows it's a VCD and just refuses to mount it. Wouldn't any modern Unix OS be able to perform the task of actually mounting the VCD?

Does anyone have any info on manually mounting CDs that the Aqua interface says are unmountable?

interactive_civilian
Apr 1, 2001, 11:02 PM

*bump*

I have noticed this same problem. But, here is a little observation that I had that makes me think that OS 9.x doesn't fully support the VCD file system.
In OS 9.1, if I insert a VCD, it appears on my desktop, I can play the mpegav files, etc. HOWEVER, if I open Apple System Profiler and click on devices and volumes, it lists nothing mounted in my optical drive (a DVD-RAM drive in a 1999 G4 AGP). I found this quite odd.

Anyway, I also noticed that it is damn near impossible to find info on the VCD filesystem. Oh well... I look forward to more discussion on this topic.
cheers.

[edit]Also, I would like to point out that OS 9.1 won't let me copy the mpegav files directly from the VCD (which I wanted to do to then watch them in OS X at my convenience). It keeps giving me a disk error no matter what VCD I am using. Anyone else have these problems?
------------------
"It's your music. Burn it on a Mac. Dig?" - George Clinton

[This message has been edited by interactive_civilian (edited 04-01-2001).]

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2001, 10:23 AM

Any update on this? I've tried searching for info on the VCD filesystem and have found zilch... :

Bubba Jones
Apr 5, 2001, 10:28 AM

try macdvd.org lots of good stuff there.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2001, 01:24 AM

Apparently, however, there's no info on VCD on OS X there.

Group51
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 12:34 PM

Ack! There is nothing about this in the Apple Til.

Back to the Apple feedback page. I can't believe they will leave out VCD. Macs are actually used in Asia and VCD is *dominant*!

Forum Links
Forum Rules