Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWork on PB/iBook VS. MBP/MB

iWork on PB/iBook VS. MBP/MB
BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 12:29 PM

I think iWork 06 is now UB. Can someone comment if C2D MBP or C2D iMac run noticeably faster than PowerPC Macs (PB, iBook, or iMac)?
When I use Page with my PB/iBook, there is some lags especially when I am typing fast.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:45 PM

Any universal app will run faster on an Intel portable than on a PPC portable. The majority of the time, the same is true for Intel desktops and PPC desktops too.

Both pages and keynote take around 8-9 seconds to start up on both my Intel Macs, and IIRC, it took well over 12 seconds on my old iBook. I too noticed lag when typing on my iBook, but not on either of my Intel Macs.

The apps will run even faster on the C2D Macs, as both mine are now-lowly Core Duos.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

BadApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 01:53 PM

That is good news. At least it seems iWork will perform better on C2D MBP even though non-UV Office 2004 may not run as smooth as PPC Mac. I wanted to use Page more often with my PPC PB and iBook; but, I could not stand the lag when I type. I want the program to keep up with my typing at least.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BadApple View Post
That is good news. At least it seems iWork will perform better on C2D MBP even though non-UV Office 2004 may not run as smooth as PPC Mac. I wanted to use Page more often with my PPC PB and iBook; but, I could not stand the lag when I type. I want the program to keep up with my typing at least.
Does it not? On my pb g4 there's never any lag. How much ram do you have?

BadApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 03:21 PM

My iBook has 1.5 GB (1.33 Mhz) and my Al PBs have 1.5 GB (15", 1.25 Mhz) and 1.25 GB (12", 1.5 Mhz). I admit I run iWork on my iBook as that is what I take with me when I am on the road. So, I have not used iWork apps too much on my PBs. Maybe I start using PBs for iWork.

Forum Links
Forum Rules