Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Apple changing it's focus?

Is Apple changing it's focus?
Zoolang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 12:53 AM

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I wanted the opinion of other Macintosh users and Apple watchers. I am concerned that Apple's name change and the lack of actual Macs at MacWorld means that Apple is shifting its focus from the Macintosh platform and into consumer electronics. While I'm sure the iPhone will be nifty and I like my iPod, my real love is for Macs. I'd like to think that the Mac is still Apple's core business and will be in the future. I am, I suppose, afraid that Apple will eventually just drop the Mac in favor of more profitable gadgets. Which would, to put it mildly, suck.

Thoughts, anyone?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zoolang View Post
I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I wanted the opinion of other Macintosh users and Apple watchers. I am concerned that Apple's name change and the lack of actual Macs at MacWorld means that Apple is shifting its focus from the Macintosh platform and into consumer electronics. While I'm sure the iPhone will be nifty and I like my iPod, my real love is for Macs. I'd like to think that the Mac is still Apple's core business and will be in the future. I am, I suppose, afraid that Apple will eventually just drop the Mac in favor of more profitable gadgets. Which would, to put it mildly, suck.

Thoughts, anyone?
Apple goes where the money is. It looks like there's a great future in this kind of portable all-in-one device, and Apple's leading the way in innovation.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 01:05 AM

They are and it is a good thing. Computers are not longer casual geek items they are as common as Air conditioners. And iMac is what 80% of what all future computers should look like. In fact in 5 years the Apple TV or iPhone will be a large replacement for home computer users as most of it is video, music, web, PVR, email.

It is not about mac vs Windows anymore, Apple is looking past the desktop OS war and creating a brand new convergence device that everyone is going to try to copy and it will also replace many of the competitors entire product line.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 01:16 AM

I hope they remain in the computer business for a long time, but should they quit, it wouldn't be that terrible. Their hardware is not "special" or more reliable anymore, they use standard parts found in every other PC out there. There's basically no differences between a PC and a Mac anymore.. And now that they can run OS X on a cellphone...

Personally I wouldn't mind running Mac OS X on a generic PC if that can save me many hundreds dollars and still be reliable. Their towers are simply too expensive and the iMac is still expensive for what it has to offer (come on Apple, is it THAT hard to produce what everyone wants, a kind of PM 9600: small tower, plenty of expension, everyone is happy)

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 01:18 AM

Whoa, Dark Helmet is goin' all Confucius on us. (He's right.)

Zoolang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 01:33 AM

Actually, I do think Apple's machines are more reliable. That's one of the reasons I like them. Their laptops tend to last longer than anyone else's. OS X is more stable than Windows for the most part. (Though I'm not a partisan in the Apple vs. Microsoft war. Well, not much of one) I see Apple as kind of the Toyota of computers.

I like both Apple's computer hardware and software and would be devastated to see them tossed by the wayside in favor of consumer electronics.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I hope they remain in the computer business for a long time, but should they quit, it wouldn't be that terrible. Their hardware is not "special" or more reliable anymore, they use standard parts found in every other PC out there. There's basically no differences between a PC and a Mac anymore.. And now that they can run OS X on a cellphone...

Personally I wouldn't mind running Mac OS X on a generic PC if that can save me many hundreds dollars and still be reliable. Their towers are simply too expensive and the iMac is still expensive for what it has to offer (come on Apple, is it THAT hard to produce what everyone wants, a kind of PM 9600: small tower, plenty of expension, everyone is happy)
At this point I don't see Apple releasing OS X for generic hardware. They don't want to have to deal with all of the thousands of variations in hardware out there, their software just shines because they control exactly what hardware it's run on.
And I really don't get your PM 9600 reference...when it was released it was a top of the line pro machine costing $4,700. The MacPro costs a lot less than that.
And the MacPro isn't really expensive for what it is. The cheapest quad core Dell (from what I could find quickly) starts at $3100. Sure, it's too expensive for consumers, but it's not meant for them.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
At this point I don't see Apple releasing OS X for generic hardware. They don't want to have to deal with all of the thousands of variations in hardware out there, their software just shines because they control exactly what hardware it's run on.
And I really don't get your PM 9600 reference...when it was released it was a top of the line pro machine costing $4,700. The MacPro costs a lot less than that.
And the MacPro isn't really expensive for what it is. The cheapest quad core Dell (from what I could find quickly) starts at $3100. Sure, it's too expensive for consumers, but it's not meant for them.
I agree that the reliability would be compromised with many third-party drivers, but the trends are evolving and third party-drivers are less and less required. Plug-n-play finally seems to work for real, and with with the EFI driver model, the future looks great to this regard. And judging from the sites dedicated to running OS X on x86, it doesn't look so bad.

As for the 9600, yes it was expensive when it came out, but that was almost 10 years ago! Even 16 MB of RAM cost a fortune back then. But what I was really referencing about was the expendability.. 12 slots of RAM, 3-4 expension bay, 6 PCI slots.. Sure, the new MacPro has improved the situation compared to the model before, but it's really too expensive. I am a consumer and I would like to buy this.. Now my only choice is an iMac, and I can't upgrade anything.. Crappy video card, no possibility to add USB 2 PCI card, no this, no that. Who said customers didn't want expendability? How many people here wished they would release such a machine? It doesn't need to be the fastest bomb.. just something similar to the iMac, but in a mini-tower enclosure, so you can add things.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2007, 03:15 AM

I dont see it as mac v. windows anymore, i think macintosh is trying to establish itself now, similar to companies like sony, samsung, etc..

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 03:29 AM

I don't think Apple are moving away from computers anytime soon. They are seeing huge increases in Mac sales and overall market share, and after 22 years, the Mac is at its most successful point.

Jobs also said in his keynote that in the following few months, Apple will be releasing some fantastic new Mac or mac-related products.

I think the reason they were so quiet on the Mac front at MacWorld was because they wanted a huge splash for the iPhone, and if they introduced anything else (alright, they mentioned the AppleTV), the attention would be somewhat either taken away from the iPhone, or the other product lost amoungst the iPhone coverage.

Think about it; Sony, who make many computers, also make TVs, Hi-Fis, cell phones, speaker systems, MP3 players and so on - they still make computers, and Apple ain't going anywhere with the Mac.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh View Post
I don't think Apple are moving away from computers anytime soon. They are seeing huge increases in Mac sales and overall market share, and after 22 years, the Mac is at its most successful point.
Apple ain't going anywhere with the Mac.
I agree 100% with this. Jobs stated last year that Apple was going to win the Desktop war. All of the consumer products integrate with Mac computers, and all are building name brand recognition. Apple's biggest victory since 1998 to the present has been the shift in the companies reputation. Macs used to be the weird computer that no one used, except in elementary computer labs. Now the brand is hip, popular, and a sign of youth.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Zoolang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 03:52 AM

I suppose my concern is this: Apple is making far more money on iPods and related gadgets than they are on Macs. I believe the profit margin for an iPod is much higher than for an iMac or MacBook. Apple is a for profit company so they will naturally follow the money. But I think it is inevitable that their competitors will catch up to the iPod and iPhone. The iPod is a fairly simple device and it won't be long before Microsoft or Sony or someone steals enough of the iPod design to outsell the iPod.

On the other hand, I don't think the Mac is going to get outclassed anytime soon. While Macs may not have the large profit margins of iPods, I think they are a better long term investment for the company.

Basically, I'm afraid that Apple's shareholders will get short term profit zeal and force the company to let the Mac languish while concentrating on iPods, iPhones, etc.

And I'd like to be able to buy a new Mac for many years to come. Especially their laptops.

I hope my fears are unfounded.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zoolang View Post
Basically, I'm afraid that Apple's shareholders will get short term profit zeal and force the company to let the Mac languish while concentrating on iPods, iPhones, etc.
I didn't check any financial facts before saying this, so maybe it's not feasible, but with all the cash Apple has on hands right now, wouldn't it be possible to buy back all the stock (or most of it) and say f*ck off to the greedy shareholders?

Zoolang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 03:20 PM

Hmmm... good point. I doubt Apple could buy back all the stock but they should be able to buy back some of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules