Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problem with airport/IP

Problem with airport/IP
mo0805
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 06:25 PM

Okay, here's my problem. I have a sawtooth g4 500 with an airport card. I connect to the wireless network in the house via the airport card. the wireless router i have is a netgear wgr614. the router has worked fine since i upgraded from the old linksys. until now. now for no reason, i cannot obtain an IP address from the router. i didn't change anything. it happened in the middle of the day. i used my computer in the morning, then left. and when i came back that evening, i had a 169.254.x.x(self-assigned) IP address. i have read on apple's discussion boards and on this forum about other people who started having this problem after the OS 10.3.4 update. I've tried resetting the router, adjusting settings on the router and g4, but nothing works. Under no circumstances do i connect properly to the network. I have yet to bring the computer upstairs and connect it to the network directly because I am lazy . If anyone has a solution for this, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I've seriously tried EVERYTHING.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 10:16 PM

Directly connecting the computer to the router would be included in EVERYTHING. You can bring the router down to your computer instead of the other way around. You won't be able to get on the internet, but you should get an IP.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2004, 07:10 AM

I have this problem intermittently with my linksys router and my PowerBook G4. It for some reason just stopped accepting that it has to obtain an IP address. It does it sometimes but not all the time and nothing has to change for it to happen, it's moderately frustrating. I just assigned an address to it, saves a hell of a lot of time and it works the first time. Something you might want to consider.

- Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules