Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazon.com iBook wait list

Amazon.com iBook wait list
Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2004, 08:55 AM

I've been reading threads and seeing how many of us snatched up the iBook offer on Amazon.com. So, what's your deleivery date? What was your final price? What, if any, problems did you have orderign? Hopefully this will help us pass the time until our iBooks ship!

(Special thanks to paingold for the title of this thread!
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

RichieZ
Nov 6, 2004, 10:48 AM

i orered one last sun? Still says 1-2 weeks

price should be around $716-$730 after I sell the printer.

BUT amazon is freaking retarded, I bought the ibook and the HP PSC1350 so I could get in on the greatlookingdeal rebate. They sent me the printer WITHOUT the retail box, NO UPC! They took it out of the retail box, jammed it into a brown box and it was packed horribly. I called up and they are sending me another one. GRRRRR

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 10:25 AM

Hi, how do I find the greatlookingdeal rebate info? Can't track it down on amazon. Thanks!!!!!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 02:34 PM

Amazon.com-> type in Apple iBook

along the top there is "Computer Deals", click

then you should see "Save 150 dollars on select laptops!"

click that, scroll down, look for the 1.2GHz iBook 12 inch, and you're set.
iamwhor3hay

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 05:01 PM

After rebates and all,
it will come out to around 800 even.
I'm quite happy with that... since that is what I paid for originally for my currant Ibook. without airport or memory.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 10:45 PM

Amazon is great to buy from. You can order and cancel anytime before it ships.

Also..no sales tax, and no shipping charges if you select the regular ground which in my experience is usually 3 days anyhow.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 11:04 PM

Add me to the list of people using the Amazon deal on new iBooks!
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 07:55 AM

just sent off an order for a brand new 12' ibook at amazon. my very first mac!!!!

hopefully they will keep the promised delivery date, the timing would be just perfect. has anyone who ordered earlier gotten a shipping notice from amazon yet?

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 10:55 AM

I'm waiting to receive my new Amazon.com VISA to place my order. They give you $30 off the first purchase, which this iBook will be, plus 3 reward points for $1 spent at Amazon.com. When you have 2,500 points they provide you a $25 gift certificate, so just buying the iBook should bag me an extra $25 for a later purchase.
Troy Murray

RichieZ
Nov 9, 2004, 01:26 PM

i wish they would hurry up and ship mine already!

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by sgb:
just sent off an order for a brand new 12' ibook at amazon. my very first mac!!!!

hopefully they will keep the promised delivery date, the timing would be just perfect. has anyone who ordered earlier gotten a shipping notice from amazon yet?
My shipdate is the 15th but has a delievery date of, at the latest, the 30th. Sigh...soon...

RichieZ
Nov 9, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
My shipdate is the 15th but has a delievery date of, at the latest, the 30th. Sigh...soon...
do you have a firm ship date? This is what mine says:

Shipping estimate: November 8, 2004 - November 22, 2004
Delivery estimate: November 10, 2004 - November 30, 2004

ahbrooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 01:30 AM

thanks for emailing!
( Last edited by ahbrooks; Nov 10, 2004 at 09:48 AM. )

Spartan24
Nov 10, 2004, 10:43 AM

Mark me down for taking advantage of this great offer at Amazon.. took me a few days to decide how badly I wanted the 60 gig HD as opposed to the stock 30 gig, but in the end thought this was too good of a deal to pass up.

Delivery estimate: November 18, 2004 - November 26, 2004

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by RichieZ:
do you have a firm ship date? This is what mine says:

Shipping estimate: November 8, 2004 - November 22, 2004
Delivery estimate: November 10, 2004 - November 30, 2004
November 8th?!! Wow. Here's exactly what mine says...(copied directly from their order confirmation email)

[b] Shipping estimate for these items: November 15, 2004
Delivery estimate: November 17, 2004 - November 30, 2004 [b]

I ordered mine on Mon Nov 01, 2004 09:05:16 AM EST.

You guys got good shipping times. Keep us informed of when they ship and when they arrive!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spartan24:
[B]took me a few days to decide how badly I wanted the 60 gig HD as opposed to the stock 30 gig, but in the end thought this was too good of a deal to pass up. [QUOTE]

I debated that for a day or so. But I love the deal I'm getting. I'll upgrade the HD one day for sure.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 03:49 PM

Ordered mine two days ago.

Also ordered an Airport Express, and they said that shipped today! (even though I didn't pay extra to have items shipped when they become available).

Not bad.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Dog Like Nature:
Ordered mine two days ago.

Also ordered an Airport Express, and they said that shipped today! (even though I didn't pay extra to have items shipped when they become available).

Not bad.
I want an APexpress REALLY bad. However, I just bought my APExtreme station last march. I'm thinking about getting one for Christmas and then selling my APExtreme station on ebay.

RichieZ
Nov 10, 2004, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Centris650:
[B]November 8th?!! Wow. Here's exactly what mine says...(copied directly from their order confirmation email)

[b] Shipping estimate for these items: November 15, 2004
Delivery estimate: November 17, 2004 - November 30, 2004 [b]

I ordered mine on Mon Nov 01, 2004 09:05:16 AM EST.

You guys got good shipping times. Keep us informed of when they ship and when they arrive!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spartan24:
took me a few days to decide how badly I wanted the 60 gig HD as opposed to the stock 30 gig, but in the end thought this was too good of a deal to pass up.

I debated that for a day or so. But I love the deal I'm getting. I'll upgrade the HD one day for sure.
hmm ok i see what you mean, the ship date in my email is 11/8, its just 1 week from the order date. But my iBook still hasn't shipped

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 07:59 AM

I placed my order this morning as I finally received my Amazon.com VISA credit card which provided me with the $30 coupon. I also purchased a Epson CX5400 all-in-one printer as well for $129. Using a current Apple promotion, they will send me a rebate of $100 for the printer and Epson has a $30 rebate as well, so I made a dollar on the printer!

I was able to use the A9 discount on my iBook, plus the $30 coupon from the VISA card, then the $150 rebate I'll send in for the iBook. Total cost for the iBook was around $804!

For iBook:
Order Placed: Nov 12, 2004
Shipping estimate: Nov 29, 2004 - Dec 3, 2004
Delivery estimate: Dec 2, 2004 - Dec 10, 2004
Troy Murray

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 12:11 PM

Well, today begins my shipping date estimate. I'm ready to get it. I've been short a laptop for almost a month now and I'm going through withdraw!

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 12:22 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Epson rebate is $20.... has it changed to $30? Can you post the link?

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
If I'm not mistaken, the Epson rebate is $20.... has it changed to $30? Can you post the link?
Depends on the printer you purchase, I selected the CX54000 as it will still be covered by the rebates and might fetch a higher price on campus or else where since it is multi-functioning.
Troy Murray

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 11:24 PM

If you're still waiting for your ibook to be shipped... call Amazon and ask them what is going on. The site now says that all orders ship within 24-hours and many on this site have ordered since Saturday and already received their ibooks. They should upgrade you to free 2-day shipping (if you picked Super Saver). Good luck.

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:02 AM

I just got mine moved up to 2 Day!!!!

THANKS MAN!

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 08:32 AM

Mine was ordered last Sunday Night.... being delivered today. Wow, my RAM came before the laptop..... and the printer isn't even here yet!!!!

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 10:09 AM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My iBook AND printer just arrived! 5 days from Amazon.... they're the best!!!!!

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 10:45 AM

Congrats on getting your iBook. I received another notice this morning that the brand new Amazon.com VISA is still not letting the charge go through so my iBook is still being held up by Amazon. What a pain! I just called the credit card company and noew I'm on the phone with Amazon....

So Kathy at customer service says she can't help me out, that she has to refer it to the "laptop department" to find out what is going on. They will of course contact me in 1 - 2 business days and of course they don't have a phone number to call so I have to wait for them.

What a horrible exp. with Amazon, I don't think I want to deal with them anymore. I'd cancel my order and do a new one but they only list J&R for a purchase option right now.
Troy Murray

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by troymurray:
Congrats on getting your iBook. I received another notice this morning that the brand new Amazon.com VISA is still not letting the charge go through so my iBook is still being held up by Amazon. What a pain! I just called the credit card company and noew I'm on the phone with Amazon....

So Kathy at customer service says she can't help me out, that she has to refer it to the "laptop department" to find out what is going on. They will of course contact me in 1 - 2 business days and of course they don't have a phone number to call so I have to wait for them.

What a horrible exp. with Amazon, I don't think I want to deal with them anymore. I'd cancel my order and do a new one but they only list J&R for a purchase option right now.
Mine was doing the same thing, I called the phone number in the back of the cared 888 247 4080 and as it turns out, they weren't sure (a security thing) if it was me or not. Told them to let the charges go through!

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My iBook AND printer just arrived! 5 days from Amazon.... they're the best!!!!!
Grats!

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by history1me:
Mine was doing the same thing, I called the phone number in the back of the cared 888 247 4080 and as it turns out, they weren't sure (a security thing) if it was me or not. Told them to let the charges go through!
Well I finally received an e-mail response tonight. Amazon said, and I quote:

"I have checked our records and see that, due to a delay on our end, the estimated shipping and delivery dates for your order were revised after you placed your order. It is our policy to notify customers whenever such delays occur, and I sincerely apologize that you were not notified in this case.

To compensate you for this unexpected change, I have upgraded the method of shipment for this order to Two-Day Shipping. There is of course no additional charge for this. The revised delivery estimate for your order is November 24th."

The 24th is Wednesday, so I might just have it in time for the long weekend next week. As another bonus, they provided me a $10 gift certificate! Now I can pre-order the Star Wars Episode 3 novel!
Troy Murray

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2004, 03:36 AM

it has been shipped!!!!! got an email a few minutes ago. the amazon order system has changed to completed order and the tracking information shows that it was already shipped on the 18! they were just a bit slow putting the data into the system i guess. can not wait to play with it - it will be at its destination on monday i guess - unfortunately, i will have to wait 2 weeks myself until i can fly there :-( time to get more memory in the meantime..

Centris650  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by sgb:
it has been shipped!!!!! got an email a few minutes ago. the amazon order system has changed to completed order and the tracking information shows that it was already shipped on the 18! they were just a bit slow putting the data into the system i guess.
Samething happened here. I just got an email that my order had shipped but apparently the order shipped on the 19th and is already about 30 minutes away! It might actually get here before my ram!

I can't wait to get my new iBook. I've been without my laptop for almost a month! I've been bringing home my Dual 1 gig to get work done!

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2004, 05:19 PM

Well, got my new iBook from Amazon and it works fine... but there are a few problems and I'm afraid I'm going to return it and get a new one...

First, the keyboard keys have all strange gaps between them and many keep popping off as I type (lemon keyboard). I'd just have Apple replace the keyboard but there is another issue.... the bezel that surrounds the screen (mainly on the left side...) is REALLY warped..... Now, my friends 800mhz G4 ibook is the same and my old 700 g3 ibook had a "little" wave to it... but I can't believe this is the norm. There is definately a quality control issue with these iBooks... I hope the new one they send me is ok....

Also, the monitor is definately NOT as bright as the old iBook G3 700mhz I had. On the good side, however, this ibook is MUCH faster!!!! YAY on that count.

BenG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 07:54 PM

Out of curiosity, how long has it taken for your guys' orders to go from 'shipping soon' to actually shipped? Mines been on 'shipping soon' since Saturday...

Ben

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2004, 10:10 AM

A couple of you talked about the Epson rebate....but is Amazon actually a participating reseller in the promotion? How do you know?

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by BenG:
Out of curiosity, how long has it taken for your guys' orders to go from 'shipping soon' to actually shipped? Mines been on 'shipping soon' since Saturday...
I too am interested in this, mine has been that way since Sunday but it still says that the delivery estimate is tomorrow, 11/24, with the two day shipping option. I'm hoping that it's already shipped but Amazon is just slow updating their system, as others have received their units even though Amazon didn't report them as being shipped yet.
Troy Murray

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by John123:
A couple of you talked about the Epson rebate....but is Amazon actually a participating reseller in the promotion? How do you know?
According to this page Amazon.com is a Apple Authorized Reseller, so the Apple + Epson deal for $100 should be valid.
Troy Murray

BenG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:40 PM

Turns out that the order shipped on the 21st and should be arriving today. Amazon just didn't bother to update the status on my order until today...

Ben

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by BenG:
Turns out that the order shipped on the 21st and should be arriving today. Amazon just didn't bother to update the status on my order until today...

Ben
They were wrong on my order as well, waiting for it to arrive any minute as I type but Amazon says won't be here until Friday.
Troy Murray

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2004, 01:02 AM

Finally got it today, installed my extra memory, re-installed OS X without some of the extra printer drivers and languages, and now I'm off downloading some progs.

I really like this system so far!
Troy Murray

Forum Links
Forum Rules