Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Eclipse(JAVA)(mac version) problem

Eclipse(JAVA)(mac version) problem
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 01:18 AM

i installed the eclipse 3.0 mac version; however,usually when i move my mouse above the functions(eg, word,length()), it should give me the feed back with a full explaination of that function(like API), which it does on my PC; so i wondering are there any people sufferd this problem,and how to resolve it, by the way, that function called hover, and you can press F2 to achieve it
thx
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 05:50 PM

This isn't a complete answer, I'm afraid, because I too have this problem, but I think I can at least tell you what the problem is.
The reason you get the full API definition for built-in classes and methods in Eclipse is because it has access to the source code of the java.* packages. Apparently, this source code isn't included with the JDK in Mac OS X, so anything that requires it will complain or just simply not work right. (Try holding down command and clicking on a built-in method -- you'll get a page complaining that no source code is attached.) I have, on occasion, tried to track down the Java sources (which should ostensibly be located in a file called classes.jar, which is included in OS X's JDK but doesn't include the .java files), but haven't had much luck. Apparently Sun doesn't like to leak the sources all over the net for some strange reason. If you happen to track down the sources.jar file though, feel free to post it here for the well-being of all.

P.S.: This might be more appropriate for the Developer forum...

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 11:13 PM

really appreciate your replay
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 11:10 PM

I have a quick question for you about the Mac and Eclipse. I have Mac OS X 10.3.6 and downloaded Eclipse 3.01 on my iBook. I put the Eclipse icon on my dock, but when I click on it a second Eclipse icon shows up o n the dock and the one I placed there doesn't have the black arrow underneath it.

Anyway to fix this or is it just like this?
Troy Murray

Forum Links
Forum Rules