Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Collapseable Text Editor

Collapseable Text Editor
hayesk
Aug 30, 2004, 11:58 AM

Hmmm... last topic was empty. Weird. Anyway,

Does anyone know of a collapseably text editor that supports Obj-C? Basically I want to be able to view code in "outline mode" where I can close methods I'm not working on. It would also be nice to have a navigable list of methods along the side of the window that I can click on to go to that method.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:

Does anyone know of a collapseably text editor that supports Obj-C? Basically I want to be able to view code in "outline mode" where I can close methods I'm not working on. It would also be nice to have a navigable list of methods along the side of the window that I can click on to go to that method.
I love this feature in Eclipse, but unfortunately nobody has written an objective-c plugin for it that I know of.

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 01:18 PM

As far as jumping to methods both BBEdit and XCode provide a function pop-up list. I'm curious about "outline mode", can you point me to something other than Eclipse that has this? Or post a screenshot? Thanks.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

hayesk
Aug 30, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
As far as jumping to methods both BBEdit and XCode provide a function pop-up list. I'm curious about "outline mode", can you point me to something other than Eclipse that has this? Or post a screenshot? Thanks.
Basically like list mode in the finder. Except, instead of clicking the little triangle next to a folder, it is next to a method name, and it collapses/expands the entire method to one line so you just see the title. If you need to work in the method, just expand it again.

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 03:40 PM

Sounds handy, decided to download Eclipse just to check it out...
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

depolitic
Aug 30, 2004, 09:19 PM

Intelij IDEA has has it also, miss it when using xcode. In Intelij, when you mouse over a method or class name you get a frame-less floating window that show you also what is inside the method without having to open it, look and then close.

At it to the one hundered and one thing I would love in XCode.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 11:14 PM

I have a quick question for you about the Mac and Eclipse. I have Mac OS X 10.3.6 and downloaded Eclipse 3.01 on my iBook. I put the Eclipse icon on my dock, but when I click on it a second Eclipse icon shows up o n the dock and the one I placed there doesn't have the black arrow underneath it.

Anyway to fix this or is it just like this?
Troy Murray

Theodour
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 01:33 AM

For a while, I ran Kate in X11 just for this feature ... nice built in terminal too.

I think jEdit has this feature, but I've never gotten it to work ... or is "folding" something different?

hayesk
Nov 29, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by troymurray:
I have a quick question for you about the Mac and Eclipse. I have Mac OS X 10.3.6 and downloaded Eclipse 3.01 on my iBook. I put the Eclipse icon on my dock, but when I click on it a second Eclipse icon shows up o n the dock and the one I placed there doesn't have the black arrow underneath it.

Anyway to fix this or is it just like this?
You see that with a lot of X11 and Java apps. The icon you put in your dock is just a launcher for the real app. The real app usually needs to be run from the command line with switches and parameters, hence you can't just put that icon in the dock.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2004, 02:10 PM

You see that with a lot of X11 and Java apps. The icon you put in your dock is just a launcher for the real app. The real app usually needs to be run from the command line with switches and parameters, hence you can't just put that icon in the dock.
OK, thanks.
Troy Murray

chadseld
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2004, 04:03 PM

I can't believe nobody mentioned JEdit. www.jedit.org
It's not just for java files
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

hayesk
Dec 21, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by chadseld:
I can't believe nobody mentioned JEdit. www.jedit.org
It's not just for java files
Good find - I assumed it just did Java! Now if it can do code completion... maybe that's asking too much.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 10:04 PM

Good find - I assumed it just did Java! Now if it can do code completion... maybe that's asking too much.
Does the best code completion�for java though
If you're a java developer this is the editor you need, it comes with a great plugin manager with lots of essential plugins, is less bulky than eclipse, easy to use, and fast.

samm
Dec 22, 2004, 01:58 PM

TextMate supports function collapsing, as well as Objective-C syntax highlighting.

http://macromates.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules