Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > For new Mac switchers!

For new Mac switchers!
DragonboyLy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 09:19 PM

This may be old information, but I just found this out today. For those who are switching from Windows to Mac, to transfer your files to the Mac, just create folders in Windows and burn them onto a disc or memory stick to transfer to your Mac.

At first, I thougt my Macbook wouldn't read the Windows-created folders; however, it worked. So to easily transfer your files to your Mac, just burn them onto discs or memory sticks.

I hope this helps the new switcheroos!

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 09:23 PM

hah hah hah...

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 09:26 PM

Priceless.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 09:32 PM

Being still "green" to much of the Mac platform I too had an impressive experience. My first MacBook was sent back to Apple due to issues with the power adapter. Before I sent it backup I used Synchronize X to backup the hard drive to my external FW/USB HD.

After I received my new MacBook I booted the system up with the FW/USB HD connected. During one of the steps during setup it asked if I was moving from a previous Mac. Just for kicks I answered "yes" and it found the backup copy on the external drive. It asked me to confirm the system that it found and then transfered all of my programs, data and settings onto my new MacBook. I was VERY impressed!
Troy Murray

nickw311
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 09:42 PM

When I switched I just set up sharing on the Mac which made it an FTP server then connected via WS_FTP on the PC and then just sent everything over to the Mac. Worked flawlessly for raw data files like MP3s and documents and the like.
27" iMac C2D

smnsez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 09:59 PM

my new mac was able to find my windows Laptop on my wireless network, I just set the files that I wanted on my new mac as shared and wa la almost instant transfer

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2006, 10:38 AM

The Mac platform is so much more than just "different," that a lot of people without experience with it don't quite grasp how easy it is to use to do almost anything. There are a bunch of ways to get your data off your old computer, no matter what platform it happens to be. It's just so cool for new users when they see how GREAT MacOS really is at doing things FOR you instead of "giving you the tools to do things," which is what Windows does.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules