Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Icon Preview Issue

Icon Preview Issue
rslezak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2009, 11:59 PM

Is there a way to globally turn off icon preview?

I've gone to View --> Show View Options and unchecked icon preview.

I've opened a finder window and did a command + J and unchecked icon preview and selected "use as defaults".

Still, when I try and select an item in an open and save dialog box while attempting to attach a file using the Mac Mail application the icons appear in icon preview instead of the generic file types.

I attach a lot of pdf's and the Adobe icon stands out and is easily recognizable as opposed to the generic preview icon.

I've been unable to find any reference to this issue on any of the forums, the files are definitely showing up in icon preview even though all options to display icon previews are unchecked by default.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2009, 04:14 AM

If you change all pdf's to default to open with Acrobat will that fix it?

What OS version are you running? Icon previews have changed a bit in Snow Leopard.

rslezak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'm currently running Snow Leopard and Acrobat is currently set as my default pdf reader.

Its not just the pdf files that are showing up as an icon preview, its any file that's on the computer. The open/save dialog box clearly displays all icons in icon preview even though all options for icon preview has been turned off in the preferences.

Its not a big thing, I've learned to accept it, for now, its just the way it is, although it seems like a glitch to me.

It would certainly be easier when you need to attach a word or pdf document to view the default icon as they clearly stand out from the generic looking icon previews...

Do a "Save As" in Safari or any other application with icon preview turned OFF, save the file to your documents folder and you'll notice any files that are in the directory will appear in icon preview in the open/save dialog box when you're attempting to save the document.

The same goes when attempting to attach a file to an email, all the available files to choose from are displayed as an icon preview.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules