Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > how to burn mac OSX DMG file in windows

how to burn mac OSX DMG file in windows
Janthan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2009, 11:50 AM

my macbook is not working cos i have turned off mistakenly while iam updating operating system. i can' t able to access my macbook. i have downloaded snow osx from torrent in DMG format. does anyone know how to burn this file in windows program so i can install snow OSX into macbook.

can anyone help on this please

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2009, 12:10 PM

Hmmm... I can't help you at the moment, but I think someone will chime in soon with something wonderful that will help you out immensely.

What do you say, regulars? Do you recognize this issue?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2009, 12:18 PM

I'm curious why anyone would help someone who downloaded SL. What happened to your original install DVD?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I'm curious why anyone would help someone who downloaded SL.
And I'm curious why anyone would help a spammer. But then again, if that helper were a spammer too...

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2009, 12:56 PM

You have got to be kidding.

Janthan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2009, 01:38 PM

guys my original dvd is badly scarched, so i downlod mac osx from internet. can anyone help on this please

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janthan View Post
guys my original dvd is badly scarched, so i downlod mac osx from internet. can anyone help on this please
Apple will gladly swap it for you if you have a proof of purchase.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2009, 07:51 PM

And the generic answer is that there is no method (that I know of) to use .dmg files from Windows. It is Apple's format, and since they don't give out the spec I doubt that anyone has put in the effort to reverse-engineer it (and there are probably some legal issues blocking a companies from this).

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2009, 09:11 PM

Awww. I was pretty sure someone new would have popped up and provided an answer that featured some novel software...

I hadn't read the original post well enough to pick up the fact that the .DMG was actually Snow Leopard; I'd have suggested contacting Apple for a replacement disc immediately.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2009, 09:13 PM

the wiki article for apple disk image mentions a few Windows programs that may convert and/or burn.

chris83179
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2009, 12:01 AM

I believe if you change the .dmg extension to .iso, then windows can burn it to disc. If not, then check below

Convert .dmg files to .iso files for burning elsewhere - Mac OS X Hints

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Janthan View Post
Ask Apple for a replacement with your proof of purchase, don't pirate, spell correctly, and use punctuation.

tehcomputerlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2012, 02:17 AM

Greeting man,

I had the same issue, needed to re-image the mac-book, and my disk was cracked...
I spent hours trying to burn the .dmg file i downloaded from a torrent, nothing seemed to work, it was like it was altered in a new algorithm to make it nonburnable.
Eventually I stumbled on a windows application called Transmac. It looks to be what wine is for Linux, just with windows for mac, kind of a lightweight file type emulator...

Anyways, i was able successfully burn the .dmg file containing osx-lion. And it is installing as i am typing this

Just open the .dmg file with transmac, and then right click on the file in the left form list, and then select "burn to DVD"...

SRLSY, simple as that.

You can find the download for it here:
http://www.asy.com/sharetm.htm (I know the site looks shitty, but just trust me)

/* And for all the "Where's your original install disk?" your all a bunch of damn trolls...
And "IM SURE" you guys have never been in a situation similar?
Where you did not want to drive 30 Miles to the nearest "Genius bar", Just to have them condescendingly ask you for a receipt you threw out 2 years ago...

God, if you don't know something, You don't have to show off your epeen by harassing people about EULA BS.
*/
Cheers,

Aaron Russell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by tehcomputerlad View Post
Greeting man,
I had the same issue, needed to re-image the mac-book, and my disk was cracked...
I spent hours trying to burn the .dmg file i downloaded from a torrent, nothing seemed to work, it was like it was altered in a new algorithm to make it nonburnable.
Eventually I stumbled on a windows application called Transmac. It looks to be what wine is for Linux, just with windows for mac, kind of a lightweight file type emulator...
Anyways, i was able successfully burn the .dmg file containing osx-lion. And it is installing as i am typing this
Just open the .dmg file with transmac, and then right click on the file in the left form list, and then select "burn to DVD"...
SRLSY, simple as that.
You can find the download for it here:
http://www.asy.com/sharetm.htm (I know the site looks shitty, but just trust me)
/* And for all the "Where's your original install disk?" your all a bunch of damn trolls...
And "IM SURE" you guys have never been in a situation similar?
Where you did not want to drive 30 Miles to the nearest "Genius bar", Just to have them condescendingly ask you for a receipt you threw out 2 years ago...
God, if you don't know something, You don't have to show off your epeen by harassing people about EULA BS.
*/
Cheers,

Well said... Sad to see my first post on this forum is quoting someone that has made a valid and truthful statement. Forums and communities are to help others seeking a solution to there problem. Also no one takes into consideration what if Janthan had purchased this mac from someone who didn't have CD or receipts. You people are very inconsiderate. Thank you fr your response tehcomputerlad.

ibook_steve
Aug 28, 2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Russell View Post
Well said... Sad to see my first post on this forum is quoting someone that has made a valid and truthful statement. Forums and communities are to help others seeking a solution to there problem. Also no one takes into consideration what if Janthan had purchased this mac from someone who didn't have CD or receipts. You people are very inconsiderate. Thank you fr your response tehcomputerlad.
You do realize this is a 3 year old post, right?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules