Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 'Siren' sounds on waking

'Siren' sounds on waking
oldmaccy2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 08:07 AM

Very wierd!

Sometimes when my ibook is woken from a lid-closed sleep it makes a loud noise that I can best describe as being like a police siren cycling three times (Weee-owww! Weee-owww! Weee-owww! if that makes any sense).

I *think* it tends to happen when it's low on batteries, but I'm not sure about that. Could it be a low-power warning? (Seems like an odd one if so).

This has only been happening recently.

What the blazes is going on??

Any ideas?

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 09:59 AM

One time my dad's iBook made a noise kind of like an oven timer. But it wasn't upon waking; it just happened. I don't know what it was and neither did anyone else.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2004, 10:36 AM

A siren eh? The only way to explain that would be some third party software. Log into a different account and see if the same thing happens.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

moep
Senior User
Mar 11, 2004, 11:17 AM

Could it be that you mean the noise that comes from the CD/DVD drive whenever the iBook wakes up? That would be normal, i guess.

I just closed and opened my ibook and well - with a *lot* of imagination, it sounds like a siren.

oldmaccy2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 11:44 AM

It's definately not CD drive noise, and requires no imagination at all to hear it as a siren; it's loud, and sounds like a siren, or perhaps like a cheap sci-fi laser gun sound effect. The first time I heard it I thought it must have been something on the TV, but subsequent times show it is definately coming from the ibook.

I haven't installed any third party software (intentionally...) for a long time (1 year+), and this has only been going on for a few months.

It's not linked to a particular login I think, as it happens when waking not logged in as anyone (just login screen). I don't think programs (installed third party ones) should be able to run at that time?

I haven't had time to investigate it fully (trying to replicate the conditions under which it occurs, low battery, different last users etc) but maybe I'll have to if no-one else has experienced it and can help!

A mystery eh?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2004, 12:30 PM

I was waiting in line at a repair shop, and the guy in front of me was explaining his problem when all of a sudden his computer (a Dell laptop) started making this horrible screeching sound. It sounded like a car alarm or something. They eventually got it to shut up by killing its power, but it took everyone a while to figure out that it was the laptop because it was just so damn loud.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what caused it. If this is the same thing as your siren, then it's probably due to some common component. The first thing that comes to mind would be the optical drive, but who knows?

mattsliva
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2004, 02:42 PM

my ibook used to make a sound similar to that. then the hard drive went.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by mattsliva:
my ibook used to make a sound similar to that. then the hard drive went.
I second that emotion. Backup your stuff, then replace that hard drive pronto. It gonna die soon.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules