Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Merry Christmas from Apple ...

Merry Christmas from Apple ...
CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2008, 09:13 AM

Turned on my Macbook pro 17" today and got no screen. Laptop is running, but just a black screen.....Merry Christmas From Apple.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2008, 10:49 PM

Yeah. Okay. Nice.

Tried the brightness? Tried calling Apple?

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 11:36 PM

I had a similar case with a friend of mine, I hope yours is not the same because she had her video card damaged and that turned out to be a little complicated, try calling a Mac dealer though.
Also, restaring the Macbook a few times might help...

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 01:40 PM

Try resetting the SMC.

mattsliva
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2009, 08:16 PM

Can you see anything? Is the back light just not lit?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 10:58 PM

Do you have AppleCare?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 11:42 PM

Called Applecare. Was less then impressed with them via the phone. I could barely understand the guy and he misinformed me, even though he did it in a friendly manner. He told me to take the unit to the closest Apple store and they would have the part in stock and would replace it the same day. Needless to say, the Apple store doesn't keep these parts in stock and told me it would be 1-2 weeks to fix, so I wasted 2 hours driving to the closest Apple store. Unit is at Apple now being repaired. Seems I got one of the MBP's with a defective NVIDIA card. Had no video on the screen or via the DVI port. Yes, I always buy Applecare as it seems it has always paid for itself. I am awaiting the new MBP to come out then it will be replaced and kept for a spare as I use it for business and cannot afford to be totally down. This is my third serious issue (1st unit - HD went bad within 2 months, 2nd unit - lines in the screen within 3 months, 3rd unit - NVIDIA card bad) with owning 17" mac laptops so I am not real impressed, but honestly, it still beats fighting viruses, adware and blue screens of death etc.

Cold Warrior
Jan 5, 2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by CobraNT View Post
He told me to take the unit to the closest Apple store and they would have the part in stock and would replace it the same day. Needless to say, the Apple store doesn't keep these parts in stock and told me it would be 1-2 weeks to fix, so I wasted 2 hours driving to the closest Apple store.
This has happened to me too before I knew better. I call Apple to get a pre-paid shipping box sent to me. Off it goes, back it comes.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 11:56 PM

I had never dealt with an actual Apple store so I didn't know any better. I was in Florida when it went bad and thought it was amazing I could go to the Apple store and get it fixed the same day.....now I know this isn't the case. Thanks for everyones suggestions / help.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2009, 01:28 AM

1-2 weeks? Should be two days tops to get the logic board and another two days tops to fix it... Wonder if the part is out of stock or something.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2009, 04:09 AM

Good to hear your comment about AppleCare paying for itself. And sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with your laptop. I'm up to four - I had the iSight die on the second day, scratches on the LED, the battery's just hit 77% after 106 cycles and 11 months, and I've got the NVIDIA card to get replaced still. But yes, I wouldn't trade this for Windows.

I had the same thing happen on my PB after about 17 months - easy solution was that the display cable was pinched (50 bucks), hard solution was that the logic board needed replacing (over a grand). Turned out to be the latter. If I had bought AppleCare, I probably wouldn't have needed to buy my MBP in the end. I don't regret the purchase, but AppleCare saves a lot of hassles.

It may also take much longer if they have a big backlog of repairs to do, which is quite possible if they have been closed over the holidays.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2009, 08:34 PM

Well I got my laptop back. I was so happy to turn it on a see an image on the screen verses that blackish gray "I'm broke" look. The bad news is now it has new video issues. I am getting so frustrated with Apple.

Cold Warrior
Jan 13, 2009, 08:38 PM

If it comes back again (after another repair), then ask for an entire replacement on the grounds that this one is a lemon.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2009, 08:55 PM

I am sure I will, but I simply cannot afford for this machine to be down again for another week. I am still trying to get caught up on work I missed while it was being repaired this last time. I pay the premium for Apple's products because they are reliable, no Windows B/S like viruses etc; but this laptop has just not been right since I got it.
Funny thing is I just got an email from Apple asking to take a survey about my recent Applecare service. I really hope they read those surveys.
Here is a couple examples. When closing a window (not application specific), part of the animated window stays on the screen. If I open another window over the remnant piece, then it clears. The other issue is the screen will just randomly freeze for 1-2 seconds, then come back to life.....GRRRRRRR

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2009, 09:00 PM

They DO read those surveys - the manager of the Apple Store I used left me a voicemail which I returned, but I never heard from him again. He was always out after that.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2009, 08:03 PM

Well I called Applecare again today....they were about as helpful as calling Microsoft for Vista issues. Basically said to bad, take it into a service depot and have it repaired.....AGAIN! I even offered to buy another unit, just simply give me back what I paid for this POS when I order the new unit. Frustrating.....

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2009, 05:48 AM

You already have a lemon - it's three repairs and out. Let them know that it has already been in for three malfunctions, that your business has suffered because of the time lost to repairs already and then politely demand a new replacement unit as you can't trust them to fix the current one given your experience and don't leave until you get one or a full refund for the current one.

P.S. Although it is a pita, it is easier to do this in person at a retail store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules