Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Flash

Flash
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2006, 08:38 AM

Can you see THIS? It works on two of my computers and not on another (the small flash intro). I wonder if flash 8 is not installed on the other computer. If that's the issue, how do I send the user a message suggesting they upgrad? Alternatively, what's the real benefit of flash 8 versus 7 for something lke this?

steveedge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 08:04 PM

Yes, it works. I think you have a version problem on that one computer. As with all Flash you ultimately have to hope that your intended audience has a compatible version.
Flash detection kit.
http://www.macromedia.com/software/f...detection_kit/
Steve Edge
Web Hosting and Design
Cafe Edge

piot
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 09:12 PM

I am not going to upgrade to Flash 8 just to see a small animation. And a lot of other people won't bother either.

Is it not possible to just output the .swf file to a previous version reader ?
Piot

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2006, 09:31 PM

Yes, but it tends not to look as good, and the file size is bigger. I've enlisted some help to try to reduce the file size and keep quality.

Good input. Thanks.

skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by piot
I am not going to upgrade to Flash 8 just to see a small animation. And a lot of other people won't bother either.

Is it not possible to just output the .swf file to a previous version reader ?
Er, why not?

As it goes, it's possible that you're missing content not having the Flash 8 player installed, and you won't even know it.

Flash movies published as Flash 8 don't show stuff like, er, text, when viewed in older players.

I had to do a player detection routine to determine if the visitors to my site could see the navigation.

Which sucks, btw.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 02:03 PM

i think piot is right —

people may want to upgrade to visit "U2.com" or "spidermanmovie.com" but not your sports medicine site. you need to use an older flash or find another way. this solution doesn't make sense for the site of which you are building.

skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 03:04 PM

Agreed, only publish in Flash 8 when necessary.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2006, 08:21 PM

Correction: only publish anything in Flash when it actually adds value. 99% of the Flash used doesn't.

tooki

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 09:14 AM

Lot of good points. The new flash detection kit is unintrussive- if a player choose "no" to upgrade- they just get directed to a different page with a static picture (alternative html). I agree about flash in general- I'm not a "flashy" guy. But I think a little motion with tastefull fades and a subtle message is OK. The only reason I chose flash 8 is because I am not smart enough to compress thing small enough with flash 7 to be an acceptable size with good quality. On the other hand, Flash 8 does both well.

I also know next to nothing about Flash authoring, so I actually had to make the little intro in keynote, export it to quicktime and import that into flash. I'm sure if I just took the original material (a few gif's, some words, and fades between them) and did it all in flash- it would be a lot leaner and crisp. But, I don't know how to do much in flash. If there is anyone out there who is willing to take a crack at it, I'll zip the files and send 'em over. I'd love to see if this can be done all within flash 7.

Any takers?

piot
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 06:47 AM

OK Surferboy .... I give up! I installed Flashplayer 8 just to see what all the fuss is about.

1. Your file is 1.6MB ! If you had built this WITH Flash it could be anything between 10 to 20 times SMALLER.

2. You DON'T need a previous version of Flash to output the swf file for older versions of the reader. Look under "publish settings/Flash".

3. Yeah I like a bit o Flash meself ..... but not 1.6 MB for a mini slide show. See no 1 again.

4. No. Your site does not look like the site formerly known as macromedia.com
Piot

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 09:37 AM

Even on dsl, I tend to have two reactions to a Flash intro:
1) Click on the "skip intro" button.
2) If no "skip intro" button, browse elsewhere.

I'm with Tooki: don't make the essence of your site flash (unless you own MM stock).

[See rant thread elsewhere about aggravation of not being able to print that part of window w/Flash... and my inability to guess whether I didn't have most recent Flash. What about the Geekless audiences? Think they're even going to have a clue whether they should WONDER whether version # is an issue? ] </rant2>
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Correction: only publish anything in Flash when it actually adds value. 99% of the Flash used doesn't.

tooki
<rantcontinuation>
Upping ante on Tooki:
"Only publish anything exclusively in Flash when you don't care about losing sales to a big chunk of your audience."

Corollary: "To discourage further any interest in your product/information: using the VERY latest flash technology, lest too many viewers have new enough systems that the Flash version you're using be up to date."
</rant>
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 09:44 AM

Google and Yahoo are using Flash for their video presentations as of late.

btw

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 02:37 PM

I'm glad this post has generated a lot of discussion. The page I have posted above is old. I've redone it several times, the latest version is authored in flash 8 and is smaller. I did take steveedge's advice and made a version with the flash detection kit. A user has the option to upgrade and see the flash. If they choose "No", then they get redirected to an alternate page. If javascript is not enabled, then they see alternate html (whatever you want).

This seems to be the best option if you were going to go with flash 8. That said, I have made a decision to have someone who knows what they are doing just re-author the little intro in flash 7, making it look good with a smaller file size.

I also will build in a little flash detection- if they have no flash, they go to an alternate page with static images.

Like I said, I am not a "flashy" type, but a little crisp and suble motion on a page, in my opinion makes it a little more interesting. I think flash is ubiquitous. Seems that the news sites use it, etc. It also seems that flash 7 is pretty universally installed these days.

I think a lot of the flash backlash is because of the annoying, big, in-your-face flash pages out there that are unneccessary. My situation is a little different. That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I was looking for more technical advice than anything. However, I love to hear all the opinions- it helps me make decisions.

If anyone is interested in seeing a flash 8 version that gives you an unintrusive option to upgrade, check out This. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules