Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help me create Soylent

Help me create Soylent
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 15, 2013, 02:27 PM

Okay, I read this article:

How I stopped eating food

OMFG. I want to do this so bad. For years, I've wished for "dog food for people". Something I could chug down everyday, that would give me everything I needed to be extremely healthy, without spending all the time shopping, preparing, cooking, storing leftovers, cleaning a million things. It's such a waste of life, when you could spend more time with others, your pets, your projects, at the gym, pursuing hobbies, etc. So he also posted this article, which breaks down what goes into the soylent mixture:

What’s In Soylent : Mostly Harmless

So the ingredients appear to be :

Carbohydrates (200g)
Protein (50g): Protein is a very general term. What your body needs is 9 'essential' (meaning the body cannot produce it itself), amino acids: Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalaline, Threonine, Tryptophan, and Valine. Eukaryotes use 21 different amino acids for protein synthesis. The human genome contains approximately 20,000 protein coding genes. It's a complex system. Without these essentials there are some proteins you will not be able to produce. ??? Very confusing... do you need to buy all these seperately??!?!
Fat (65g): I get all the fat I need, in nearly perfect proportion of saturated and unsaturated, and no trans fats, from olive oil.
Cholesterol(X):None
Sodium(2.4g) Sodium and Chloride are conveniently found in table salt.
Potassium(3.5g). Raw Potassium is extremely reactive, so I use potassium gluconate, C6H11KO7.
Chloride(3.4g)
Fiber(5g)
Calcium(1g) CaCO3
Iron(18mg)
Phosphorous(1g)
Iodine(150ug)
Magnesium(400mg
Zinc(15mg)
Selenium(70ug)
Copper(2mg)
Manganese(2mg)
Chromium(120ug)
Molybdenum(75ug)
Vitamin A(5000IU)
Vitamin B6(2mg)
Vitamin B12(6ug)
Vitamin C(60mg)
Vitamin D(400IU)
Vitamin E(30IU
Vitamin K(80ug)
Thiamin(1.5mg)
Riboflavin(1.7mg)
Niacin(20mg)
Folate(400ug)
Biotin(300ug)
Panthothenic Acid(10mg)
Lycopene(500ug)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids(750mg)
Ginseng(50ug)
Gingko Biloba(100ug)
Lutein(500ug)
Alpha Carotene(140ug)
Vanadium(100ug)

Where the hell do I buy all this stuff?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 15, 2013, 02:58 PM

Amazon.

andi*pandi
Mar 15, 2013, 03:03 PM

But vitamins in pill/tablet form are not as digestible/absorbable by the body, right? Plus there are interactions to be aware of (iron is blocked by calcium, helped by vitamin C)

I would say that a variety of protein shakes already have this covered and you could just buy those.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Mar 15, 2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks Laminar! I found quite a few of them on amazon, but I'm still stumped by quite a few:

Carbohydrates: He mentions 200g, and rice, corn, whatever. But does that mean 200g of rice? Or enough rice that you get 200g of carbs?

Protein: He mentions 9 essential amino acids. Totally lost on this one.

I'm having good luck finding everything else so far....

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
But vitamins in pill/tablet form are not as digestible/absorbable by the body, right? Plus there are interactions to be aware of (iron is blocked by calcium, helped by vitamin C)

I would say that a variety of protein shakes already have this covered and you could just buy those.
Yeah but that's the fillers and binders to make it pills. This guy is putting them in to a liquid solution. I doubt something this simplistic will work. The real world is much to complex and our systems are designed for that.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2013, 04:03 PM

because food is just fuel right?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Mar 15, 2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks Laminar! I found quite a few of them on amazon, but I'm still stumped by quite a few:

Carbohydrates: He mentions 200g, and rice, corn, whatever. But does that mean 200g of rice? Or enough rice that you get 200g of carbs?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah right, you've going to live off 3 drinks a day. I don't want to be around you when this throws your body out of whack or when your starving. You might as well just go on Dr. Bernstein's stupid diet, it's probably quite similiar. Just a concoction of vitamins and such. At least it's doctor supervised, but I still thinnk very dangerous, if your losing a severe amount of weight.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2013, 04:47 PM

All the benefits the author sited I noticed too, after I stopped consuming pre-processed foods, all soft drinks, and preservatives. It takes ~1 month to get completely sorted out, but after that I almost-literally felt like a new person.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 16, 2013, 01:20 AM

They've been trying to do this with baby formula for 50 years and it's still not better than breast milk. Rob - contact the dude in the article, I know of someone that contacted him about his product and was offered a chance to try it if he got regular medical evaluations.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2013, 03:07 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2013, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
He's a whiny git, isn't he? Once I lived on Total cereal (one 12oz bowl /day), soy milk (6oz), and wheatgrass juice (all I wanted) for 4 weeks and it wasn't overly pleasant, from a food enjoyment perspective, but I felt okay, if a little less energetic. The most noticeable outward changes were in my BO and feces, my sweat actually started to smell like slightly stale herbs (I was told it was kind of nice) and my stool changed into odorless, green, floating toothpaste. Also I lost 14lbs, which was mostly fat, but a little muscle mass as well.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Thorzdad
Mar 16, 2013, 08:51 AM

When you're ready to take it to market, I have a label ready to go...

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
So the ingredients appear to be :

Carbohydrates (200g)
Protein (50g): Protein is a very general term. What your body needs is 9 'essential' (meaning the body cannot produce it itself), amino acids: Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalaline, Threonine, Tryptophan, and Valine. Eukaryotes use 21 different amino acids for protein synthesis. The human genome contains approximately 20,000 protein coding genes. It's a complex system. Without these essentials there are some proteins you will not be able to produce. ??? Very confusing... do you need to buy all these seperately??!?!
Fat (65g): I get all the fat I need, in nearly perfect proportion of saturated and unsaturated, and no trans fats, from olive oil.
Cholesterol(X):None
Sodium(2.4g) Sodium and Chloride are conveniently found in table salt.
Potassium(3.5g). Raw Potassium is extremely reactive, so I use potassium gluconate, C6H11KO7.
Chloride(3.4g)
Fiber(5g)
Calcium(1g) CaCO3
Iron(18mg)
Phosphorous(1g)
Iodine(150ug)
Magnesium(400mg
Zinc(15mg)
Selenium(70ug)
Copper(2mg)
Manganese(2mg)
Chromium(120ug)
Molybdenum(75ug)
Vitamin A(5000IU)
Vitamin B6(2mg)
Vitamin B12(6ug)
Vitamin C(60mg)
Vitamin D(400IU)
Vitamin E(30IU
Vitamin K(80ug)
Thiamin(1.5mg)
Riboflavin(1.7mg)
Niacin(20mg)
Folate(400ug)
Biotin(300ug)
Panthothenic Acid(10mg)
Lycopene(500ug)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids(750mg)
Ginseng(50ug)
Gingko Biloba(100ug)
Lutein(500ug)
Alpha Carotene(140ug)
Vanadium(100ug)

Where the hell do I buy all this stuff?
So much for not having to shop or prepare the "food" and all that.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post

ebuddy

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So much for not having to shop or prepare the "food" and all that.
If it's not "food" then the shopping and prep time doesn't count against you

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2013, 12:14 PM

OP clearly does not understand the joy of food.

It's not just fuel. It's an experience. If you aren't making food that you enjoy - that actually makes you smile to eat it because it's so delicious - you're doing it wrong.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2013, 07:58 PM

I am seriously interested in this as well, but I'm not optimistic.

Even the medical products specifically designed for this purpose don't seem particularly 'healthy' to me.

The ingredients for Jevity 'sole source nutrition' seem pretty awful. All of that corn, soy and sugar isn't going to likely be healthy in the long run. If nothing else the Omega 6 fatty acid to Omega 3 ratio is going to be terrible...

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium & Calcium Caseinates, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Fructooligosaccharides, Medium-Chain Triglycerides, Oat Fiber, Soy Fiber, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate, Gum Arabic, Sodium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Magnesium Chloride, Carboxymethylcellulose, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Zinc Sulfate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenate, Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, and Vitamin D3.
Contains milk and soy ingredients.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2013, 12:21 AM

The idea is definitely interesting, but having admittedly only read the first few paragraphs of the link the guy's initial results seem very much too good to be true. The skeptic in me is thinking its a rather masterfully constructed scam of some kind, though clearly he has given the recipe away and isn't trying to monetize (yet). It just smells distinctly of some kind of detox plan.

I also have concerns over long-term adherence to a liquid diet. I wonder if not using your digestive system as it is intended would cause any lasting damage. If the benefits listed are all true, I can see it might be worth doing from time to time for a month here or there but to consume nothing but an unappetising-looking liquid for the rest of your days just sounds awful.
He also mentions tweaking some of the proportions and 'paying for it dearly' when he was off. I wonder exactly what he means by that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 02:55 AM

It's only interesting if you hate eating, which I don't, so the subject seems ridiculous to me.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 03:26 AM

I've lived off of cold-cuts (no bread), salad in a bag, and berries. Close to zero prep and 10 to 1 that's healthier than what's in that recipe.

Edit: the big issue with this kind of diet (other than boredom) is you need to eat to maintain energy. There's not enough carbs for your body to save for later.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 17, 2013 at 05:36 AM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 AM

The human body is made to consume and digest FOOD, absorb nutrients from said FOOD, and excrete waste products from said digested FOOD. That's why we have teeth, saliva, a stomach, digestive tract, etc. You can get every result this guy got by eating the right foods. It's not rocket science.

Subsisting on a cocktail of vitamins and minerals mixed with water is ridiculous and potentially dangerous.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
The human body is made to consume and digest FOOD, absorb nutrients from said FOOD, and excrete waste products from said digested FOOD. That's why we have teeth, saliva, a stomach, digestive tract, etc. You can get every result this guy got by eating the right foods. It's not rocket science.

Subsisting on a cocktail of vitamins and minerals mixed with water is ridiculous and potentially dangerous.
Yet people in comas manage to live. Sometimes for years.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Yet people in comas manage to live. Sometimes for years.
Yeah, but those people likely need less to stay "alive" - they're not moving, using any energy, using any brain power, using their vision or their muscles or their bones. So it's not exactly a fair comparison.

And again - there is much pleasure to be had from eating delicious food. If you've never enjoyed eating, you're doing it wrong.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
there is much pleasure to be had from eating delicious food. If you've never enjoyed eating, you're doing it wrong.
Personally I agree: eating is one of the pastimes that make life worth living, not a chore. But then some people say the same about driving, but to me driving is purely a chore. Don't begrudge someone who decides they would rather avoid food in order to make more time for driving, just because you might make the opposite choice (I sure would).

Yes, it's high time this thread became about car analogies

OP: you're really working too hard at this. You're going to blow all your savings (money and time) by treating it like a bigger mystery than it is. Just stock up on beans, rice, potatoes, bananas, apples and oranges, and put any extra attention into common sense measures against spoilage. If you have to pick one rule to eat healthy, minimize the salt/sodium (use lower sodium as a way to choose between options). Do that and you'll be home-free. Not because it's all that bad for you, just because nearly all bad food relies heavily on salt for preservation and flavoring, so by using salt/sodium as an indicator you can easily avoid stuff that's bad for you, without doing any research or wasting time learning 100 different unnecessary nutrition rules. Salt is essential, yes, but you'll still get more than enough from any food you eat.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2013, 04:11 PM

Yeah, but those people likely need less to stay "alive" - they're not moving, using any energy, using any brain power, using their vision or their muscles or their bones. So it's not exactly a fair comparison.

And again - there is much pleasure to be had from eating delicious food. If you've never enjoyed eating, you're doing it wrong.
As well as the dishes made from horse meat, brains, tripe and the cheeks of pigs, I can also get the odd cheese-burger in France.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2013, 10:16 PM

I thought horse was pretty decent, not what I expected, less stringy and more tender.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2013, 02:17 AM

Raw it's a bit oily. Reminded me of venison.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
They've been trying to do this with baby formula for 50 years and it's still not better than breast milk. Rob - contact the dude in the article, I know of someone that contacted him about his product and was offered a chance to try it if he got regular medical evaluations.
That is because economics play into it. Using the cheapest possible items, substituting for artificial and saving a buck where it can be saved to have the lowest price. Now add in Sugars to make babies consume the formula and you have unhealthy fat babies
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 02:33 AM

When I first opened this thread the first thought I had was Solyent Green. Didn't think it was going to be something excluding recycled humans
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2013, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
That is because economics play into it. Using the cheapest possible items, substituting for artificial and saving a buck where it can be saved to have the lowest price. Now add in Sugars to make babies consume the formula and you have unhealthy fat babies
So I can go out and find formula that's better than breast milk, but it's expensive?

P
Mar 18, 2013, 03:37 AM

I'm no nutritionist, so I have no idea if this is good for you, but...

Written like that, probably 200g carbohydrates. Rice is about 80% carbohydrates.

Proteins are made up of about 20 different amino acids. Half of these can be manufactured from other amino acids, the other half cannot and have to be ingested in the right form. The exact numbers of essential amino acids varies a bit between who does the numbering - I've seen anywhere from 4 to 10, because some of them are essential in extremely low quantities - but the point is basically that if you get your protein from meat, you don't have to worry. If you want to get it from something like soy, you have to check that you get all the essential ones.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Personally I agree: eating is one of the pastimes that make life worth living, not a chore. But then some people say the same about driving, but to me driving is purely a chore. Don't begrudge someone who decides they would rather avoid food in order to make more time for driving, just because you might make the opposite choice (I sure would).
Beat me to it. Yeah, what if you don't like food?

There are people who love and hate sleeping, too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I assume someone will tell you you're eating the wrong food, then tell you that your opinions and priorities are all wrong.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

If you have health insurance, I would recommend a visit to a dietician. They can give you all the facts you need about nutrition and help you make the right choices. More importantly, unlike the guy in this blog, they actually understand and can explain to you the important information from the latest nutrition and gastronomy journals.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 18, 2013, 01:08 PM

Maybe sign up to be a tester first. All he requests is some bloodwork before and after. Then, if it works for you, try to make it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 02:36 PM

There are people who love and hate sleeping, too.
Then I'd force-feed them cheesecake until they agreed with me.

andi*pandi
Mar 18, 2013, 02:38 PM

If you don't like sleeping you have a disease. Seriously.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 02:40 PM

I love the TNG episode on REM sleep deprivation. It's not all that off the mark even though it's sci-fi.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2013, 02:41 PM

Some people don't like wearing clothes – not nudists, but those who would rather not make the decision, so they wear the same thing everyday.

Then I'd force-feed them cheesecake until they agreed with me.
Unless you can live a healthy life on cheesecake, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

I love the TNG episode on REM sleep deprivation. It's not all that off the mark even though it's sci-fi.
wat

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 07:45 PM

Unless you can live a healthy life on cheesecake, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.
Shockingly, I am capable of sarcasm.

wat
Wat wat?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If you don't like sleeping you have a disease. Seriously.
I sleep because I have to. I don't like it because it gets in the way of productivity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2013, 09:07 AM

Wat wat?
I'm not sure you understand how science fiction is supposed to work.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2013, 09:09 AM

If it were too far off the mark, it would be fantasy, not sci-fi.

The point of science fiction is that it is fiction usually based more or less loosely around actual science.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2013, 10:57 AM

Some people don't like wearing clothes – not nudists, but those who would rather not make the decision, so they wear the same thing everyday.
[raises hand]

6 black long sleeved tees, 6 pairs of jeans, 6 pairs of cargo shorts.

Took the idea from Seth Brundle.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 12:32 PM

Are they mock turtlenecks?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2013, 12:34 PM

Heh, its been a while since this place had anything memeworthy

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Are they mock turtlenecks?
No. And since my socks are all identical black pairs (makes sorting a breeze) I refuse to wear tennis shoes, unlike a certain CEO.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post

Then there is this one.

45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2013, 02:01 PM

Heh, its been a while since this place had anything memeworthy
Thanks, Adobe, for releasing CS2 for free. I don't have to suffer through Gimp anymore.
( Last edited by Laminar; Mar 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules