Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ATT Texting

ATT Texting
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 11:42 PM

My kids are on their Mom's ATT plan and they have unlimited texting. When I text them from my iPhone through AIM to their phone using their phone number does it still count as a text (thus "free") to them? On their phone it shows as a text through AIM. I am worried they are going to incur more costs.

pdmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 02:38 AM

If you text to an iPhone user's cellular phone number, they receive it as an SMS message. The AIM message on your end is simply a data transmission. If you text to another user's AIM account, they receive it in that AIM client as a data transmission receipt (not an SMS text message).

So, the AIM message you sent is included in your data plan. If you sent it to a cellular phone number, it's received as an SMS text message and the recipient will incur (or not) an SMS message charge based on whatever their plan says.

Here's a link to a MacRumors forum topic where the AOL Mac Product Lead Lee Givens addressed this issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5766245
- Dave Marsh

Forum Links
Forum Rules