Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Magic Mouse support in Tiger?

Magic Mouse support in Tiger?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM

I'm planning on rolling my iMac G5 back to Tiger, because Leopard is just painfully slow. However, I use a Magic Mouse with my iMac. I still have an old wired Mighty Mouse, but I hate the scroll ball and would like to keep using the Magic Mouse if possible.

I saw that there used to be a driver for Tiger to support the Magic Mouse, but the people who wrote the driver discontinued it AND brilliantly forced the existing beta version to expire so you can't even use it if you want to.

Are there any other options out there?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 12, 2013, 01:11 AM

Not sure exactly what a Magic Mouse is, but I plugged a 2-button trackball into my Mac OS Tiger laptop and did not need to install any software. Mac OS just took it over and used it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2013, 02:57 AM

Apple - Magic Mouse - The world’s first Multi-Touch mouse.

Download Magic Mouse here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ver_beta16.dmg

1. Create the following applescript which sets the date back to Jan.01.2011:

do shell script “date 010101002011″ password “your-password-here” user name “your-username-here” with administrator privileges

Save it anywhere you want, e.g. /~/Library/Scripts/ and name it to “settopast.scpt”:

2. Create a plain text document (with TextEdit):

#!/usr/bin/env bash
osascript /User/name-of-your-home-folder-here/Library/Scripts/settopast.scpt

Save it anywhere, let’s say again /~/Library/Scripts/ and name it to e.g. “setthedateatlogin.sh” – be aware to save it with the suffix .sh as it should work as your loginhook shellscript.

The most critical thing here is to store your administrator password unencrypted. Even if you save your applescript as “executable only”, opening the file in a texteditor results in showing your password somewhere inside the text. Perhaps saving the applescript as an “executable only” script-application (not readable anymore!) might be working, but I haven’t tried it yet.

3. The next step is defining the login hook. For this browse to: Mac OS X: Creating a login hook
(/path/to/script refers to the shellscript “setthedateatlogin.sh”)

4. On my Macs I don’t syncronize the date automatically so I added an applescript application (executable-only!) to the LoginItems in the Accounts PrefPane. This connects you to the timeserver once:

Do shell script “ntpdate time.euro.apple.com” password “your-password-here” with administrator privileges.

5. Please, run every script seperatly to see if the results are as expected. If so, restart your Mac – MagicDriver shoudn’t complain anymore unless you open it for configuration purpose.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2013, 06:05 AM

^ that's awesome.

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Not sure exactly what a Magic Mouse is, but I plugged a 2-button trackball into my Mac OS Tiger laptop and did not need to install any software. Mac OS just took it over and used it.
Macintosh has supported multi-button mice for something like twenty years. That's not the point.

Google "Magic Mouse", and you will find that it has been the default mouse Apple has shipped with their Macs for some years now.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2013, 09:52 AM

Angel - thank you!!

I want to make sure I understand the date part of it, though. I know that the MagicDriver beta expires; do I need to keep my Mac's clock set to a false date to keep the driver working, or just when I want to access the configuration for the driver?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules