Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iBook CPU

iBook CPU
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 07:24 PM

I'm currently the proud owner of a latest-model iBook G4 (12", 1.33 GHz). However, being the psychotic person that I am, I've been wondering just how much I can get from this thing. Ergo, I'm curious about future expandability, specifically in the CPU department. Specifically, would it be possible to swap out my iBook's G4 with one from either the 14" or one of the G4 Powerbooks? I know that the CPU is soldered onto a daughtercard with the boot ROM; my question is whether this card is swappable with a faster one.

I know this is a bad idea that would annihilate any warrantee and would be challenging to do, but is it physically possible?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2006, 07:36 PM

The 14" iBook uses a larger motherboard, so; No swap.
The 12" PowerBook has a different layout, so; No swap.

The last Apple notebook to have the CPU on a removable daughtercard was the PowerBook G3 Pismo 6 years ago. Every notebook since then has had its CPU and everything else related soldered directly to the logicboard.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 10:11 PM

Some company might figure something out in the future. The thing is, a replacement wouldn't be a whole heck of alot faster. A G4 1.67 wouldn't be a whole lot better, and it would be a big pain in the but to put it in there. I'd instead focus on putting in more RAM and maybe even a 7200 RPM hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules