Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new iMac user needs help

new iMac user needs help
Potatohead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 12:44 PM

instead of posting each of my problems on separate threads, here are all my questions/problems that i hope you all can help me out.

1) i need something to sub my winscp3. thru google i found Fugu, has anyone had any experience with that? or do you have a better recommendation?

2) bittorrent - i downloaded Bittorrent for Mac, i used BitComet with my windows and i'd like to find a similar software for my iMac. Bittorrent for Mac seems ok so far, but if you know a better app, i'd love to check it out

3) i'm having trouble finding for my PC in the network. i was able to see the iMac with my PC but when i used 'Connect to Server', i always got the same error from the iMac, telling me the ip address i put in cannot be found (i'm 100% sure i typed in the correct ip). i'm using the dlink gaming router.

thanks so much for the help.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 04:20 PM

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...x=0&button.y=0

I am using Transmission. It's O.K. (I have an intel mac, so I searched only for apps that are universal, there are others I believe that are not universal).
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 04:25 PM

I am not sure what you want to do with ssh/sftp. But there are also tons of decent apps you can find on MacUpdate.com. There is also an application called AlmostVPN that might be what you want?
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Tenex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Potatohead
2) bittorrent - i downloaded Bittorrent for Mac, i used BitComet with my windows and i'd like to find a similar software for my iMac. Bittorrent for Mac seems ok so far, but if you know a better app, i'd love to check it out
When I first started using Bitorrent I moved between clients but always wanted more info and control. Since finding (and buying) Azureus I have not changed, it's really excellent.

OTOH Transmission is the most highly praised Mac torrent client and has a very sparse interface. HTH

BikerJonTN
Jul 31, 2006, 09:36 PM

At the risk of others seeing my ineptitude and describing a better method, this is what I do to connect to my Windows data.

1) Create a share at the highest level you need access on your Windows directory structure (create multiple shares if you need access to multiple logical disks).

2) In Finder, press cmd-K (this is Connect to Server), in the server address field type the following format: smb://ip-address/share-name (i.e. smb://192.168.0.2/data).

3) Type your Windows username and password credentials when prompted. Voila.
PowerBook G4 17-inch 1GHz (March 2003)
iBook G4 12-inch 1.33GHz (July 2005)
iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo (January 2006)

iRussel
Jul 31, 2006, 11:34 PM

For a BitTorrent client I use Azureus as well. It allows for the most control of all the bittorent applications I have tried.
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

Potatohead  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 01:00 PM

thanks for the help, I dl-ed transmission last night, will check out Azureus tonight

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tenex
Since finding (and buying) Azureus I have not changed, it's really excellent.
Buying? Azureus is free software. Do you mean donate?
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules