Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7.3 is out

iTunes 7.3 is out
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 01:00 PM

Not much of an update, from what I can tell: support for iPhone, etc. But lo and behold, they finally fixed the niggling problem with the black scrollbars in Coverflow (no more blur on my MacBook!).

Also, I just noticed that the higlight color on the sidebar is bluer instead of black, and all the buttons are a slightly lighter shade of gray, helping them stand out from the dark gray background.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:03 PM

No wonder I never bothering doing updates in a timely manner anymore.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Also, I just noticed that the higlight color on the sidebar is bluer instead of black
Looks nice actually. You can also collapse playlists now!

What you can't do any more is sort podcasts alphabetically. Release date is the only sort option only now. Why is that?

kilechki
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2007, 01:24 PM

What strikes me is how faster iTunes is. Scrolling, CoverFlow, Podcasts, there's no more delay, no more beachball. When I plugged my iPod, iTunes used to be unresponsive for 20 secondes, it's now instantly displayed.

This on a 12" Powerbook.
Great.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
What strikes me is how faster iTunes is. Scrolling, CoverFlow, Podcasts, there's no more delay, no more beachball. When I plugged my iPod, iTunes used to be unresponsive for 20 secondes, it's now instantly displayed.

This on a 12" Powerbook.
Great.
That sounds tempting.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 01:52 PM

Anyone get this error message after upgrading to 7.3?

The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-50).

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:52 PM

Sounds like a lack of free space.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 01:58 PM

50+GB of free space. Could the updater have corrupted my Library file?

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 03:48 PM

Does this fix the inability to pass shared video to Front Row introduced with 7.2?

jamiemcf
Jun 29, 2007, 04:00 PM

Well iTunes is screwed for me. I installed the update and when I went to reopen it, it bounced and then did nothing. So I deleted iTunes and tried installing it again. Same. I used AppDelete to try to completely delete it, reinstalled and same again.

I have no idea what to try now and I really miss my music

edge.it
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2007, 05:14 PM

i had a bad feeling as if i shouldnt update when i saw the software updater pop up but foolishly i didnt follow my gut and WOW A CRASHING ITUNES EVERY TIME I OPEN IT.

pops in dock for less then a second and dissapears.

ideas?

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

jamiemcf
Jun 29, 2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by edge.it View Post
i had a bad feeling as if i shouldnt update when i saw the software updater pop up but foolishly i didnt follow my gut and WOW A CRASHING ITUNES EVERY TIME I OPEN IT.

pops in dock for less then a second and dissapears.

ideas?
That's exactly what happens to mine.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2007, 05:42 PM

Did you dump the prefs?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jamiemcf View Post
That's exactly what happens to mine.
this happened to me, but...in my case, i excluded itunes from shapeshifter, THEN it opened, i clicked on the agreement, and was back in business

(then i deleted the app from the shapeshifter list, and theme worked!)

any app you might be running tied to itunes??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
this happened to me, but...in my case, i excluded itunes from shapeshifter, THEN it opened, i clicked on the agreement, and was back in business

That's exactly what I did. Shapeshifter wan preventing the software agreement from popping up. All is fine now.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2007, 07:00 PM

I like the toned down grey of the selection and the scrollbars. I think 10.5 is probably going to be going this way, with the scrollbars.

I've had that aqua iTunes mod installed for a long while and this is the first I've seen of the scrollbars sine then. It's refreshing actually, I like them now.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 07:11 PM

Agreed, I would be relieved if the Aqua scrollbars were on their way out for good in 10.5. I love the muted gradients (though they took me a bit to get used to).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

jamiemcf
Jun 29, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post

any app you might be running tied to itunes??
Got it working now, thanks!

DewD
Jun 29, 2007, 09:19 PM

DON'T...DOWNLOAD...IT...(yet)
You have so much to live for.
( Don;t even think about it without a full tight backup . iT 7.2 or earlier and your entire song library

iT 7.3.1 should be along early next week...there is a big Stinkbug in 7.3 that will lose track of your entire Music Library file system. Fixing Permissions won;t cure it.

What a Black Day for Apple...the Sun rose on their iPhone rollout, then a massive al-Quaeda carbomb was found parked outside the Apple Store in London ...then the only software that willa ctivate the iPhone ( iTunes 7.3 ) turns out to be a bomb itself...aaarrrrggghhhh.

Bright side...Apple stock will dip dramatically tomorrow , but temporarily. Take the $ 600 you were going to spend on v 1.0 of the iPhone and buy 6-8 shares of Apple instead. Then in six months cash out and buy the updated iPhone and use your profit to buy Leopard OS, too .

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 04:53 AM

iTunes works absolutely fine, here. And oddly, there have been no reports of problems???
(Edit: There HAVE been reports of problems, but they are linked to people running ShapeShifter, same as with the last update, and they disappear the second ShapeShifter is disabled. Well, duh.)

And Apple Store is up Regent Street, is it not?

The bombS (two of them) were on Haymarket and at Trafalgar Square.

Go back to bed.
( Last edited by analogika; Jun 30, 2007 at 05:02 AM. )

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by DewD View Post
DON'T...DOWNLOAD...IT...(yet)
You have so much to live for.
( Don;t even think about it without a full tight backup . iT 7.2 or earlier and your entire song library

iT 7.3.1 should be along early next week...there is a big Stinkbug in 7.3 that will lose track of your entire Music Library file system. Fixing Permissions won;t cure it.
Sure. The only problems involve shapeshifter.

What a Black Day for Apple...the Sun rose on their iPhone rollout, then a massive al-Quaeda carbomb was found parked outside the Apple Store in London ...then the only software that willa ctivate the iPhone ( iTunes 7.3 ) turns out to be a bomb itself...aaarrrrggghhhh.
What?! Stop making stuff up.

Bright side...Apple stock will dip dramatically tomorrow , but temporarily. Take the $ 600 you were going to spend on v 1.0 of the iPhone and buy 6-8 shares of Apple instead. Then in six months cash out and buy the updated iPhone and use your profit to buy Leopard OS, too .
What? How do you know that? Do you have a time machine?

Stop being a drama queen...
Signature depreciated.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Does this fix the inability to pass shared video to Front Row introduced with 7.2?
Why yes, yes it does. You handsome devil.

ahollywoodcraig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 12:44 PM

What the hell happened to the artist listing? It's not in the same order anymore.
I don't like it.
http://www.purevolume.com/ahollywoodlegend
Check it out. You won't regret it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ahollywoodcraig View Post
What the hell happened to the artist listing? It's not in the same order anymore.
I don't like it.
iTunes has a "Sorting" tab in the Info dialog for some time. There you can enter the artist string that is used for sorting. So let's say you have as artist "The Chemical Brothers" you can enter "Chemical Brothers" into the "artist for sorting" field if you want them to be sorted under C. Or you can enter "The Chemical Brothers" in that field if you want to circumvent iTunes' automatic "The"-skipping and sort them under T. So you have complete control over the sorting process.

In the contextual menu in the main window you can mass-apply these sorting settings to let's say all songs with the same artist.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by headbirth View Post

Same problem here.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ahollywoodcraig View Post
I don't like it.
HOOOOORRRRRAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

: jumps up and down :

FINALLY!

: jumps up and down some more :

They've FINALLY fixed non-U.S. sorting!

The way it worked up to now was that localized articles (for German: "der", "die", "das") were ignored, but "the" would not be ignored, meaning that "Die Fantastischen Vier" were sorted under "F" as they should be, but I had about twenty bands right next to each other that all started with "the".

There was a hack to add "the" to the localized list of ignored words, but that got reset with every update, so I never bothered after the first time.

iTunes 7.3 FINALLY does away with this. The Eels after Edmund Stoiber, and The Moog Cookbook after Monty Python.

THANK YOU APPLE!

tintin220
Jun 30, 2007, 06:01 PM

This is a pain. I don't want to have to deal with Sort Artist crap in order to get 30 Seconds to Mars back at the top.

Another major annoyance i noticed is that unlike before, if you have an artist selected (with the browser) and went to a different place like the Store, when you got back, it was still only that artist selected. Now it reverts back to the whole library.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Koralatov
Senior User
Jun 30, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
What strikes me is how faster iTunes is. Scrolling, CoverFlow, Podcasts, there's no more delay, no more beachball. When I plugged my iPod, iTunes used to be unresponsive for 20 secondes, it's now instantly displayed..
My copy was never that bad, but it did take a few seconds to do anything after starting up. That seems to have been fixed now. I also noticed that the Cover Flow view (which, admittedly, I rarely use) is much more responsive than before; there's still a slight delay the first time you open it up as it initially retreives the artwork, but otherwise it's much speedier.

In a word, hurrah!

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
That's exactly what I did. Shapeshifter wan preventing the software agreement from popping up. All is fine now.
This totally worked! Thanks so much!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by tintin220 View Post
Another major annoyance i noticed is that unlike before, if you have an artist selected (with the browser) and went to a different place like the Store, when you got back, it was still only that artist selected. Now it reverts back to the whole library.
True.

It goes right back to showing the artist that was selected, but it cancels the selection.

E.g. If you had Hendrix' "Electric Ladyland" selected in the browse view, it wil still take you directly back to Ladyland, but the album selection in the browser at the top will have reverted to "all".

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 09:22 PM

Where's Aqua4iTunes?! This update has been out for almost 48 hrs. and my iTunes is still all non-Aqua-y! The developers have always been so good about not leaving me suffering for more than a few hours.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2007, 05:30 AM

You'll live.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
iTunes 7.3 FINALLY does away with this. The Eels after Edmund Stoiber, and The Moog Cookbook after Monty Python.
THE Eels? They have never ever been The Eels, just Eels.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 05:08 AM

Did this update screw up viewing of DivX and WMV videos from FrontRow for anyone else? Just the ones that are in the iTunes library, everything else works fine.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jul 2, 2007 at 05:12 PM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

tigas
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 05:16 AM

Nice. If you press the Option key while launching iTunes and ask him to use an existing 7.2 library, 7.3 just says it finds no library...
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
True.

It goes right back to showing the artist that was selected, but it cancels the selection.

E.g. If you had Hendrix' "Electric Ladyland" selected in the browse view, it wil still take you directly back to Ladyland, but the album selection in the browser at the top will have reverted to "all".
This does suck. They just got this behavior working right in one of the last few releases ... and here they go and screw it up again.

OAW

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 08:04 AM

WooHoo... finally downloaded 7.3 and was happy to see how they have sped up Cover Flow. But my biggest surprise was that they FINALLY fixed sorting Album by Artist to have the "Album Artist" field (if populated) take precedence over the "Artist" field. Compilation albums (of which I have many) would always sort by the artist of the first track. Now all my Putumayo albums show up together!

Me = Happy

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
Another reason I don't use 3rd party system hacks like Shapeshifter.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Another reason I don't use 3rd party system hacks like Shapeshifter.
i love having a custom look to my mac (hey, it's MY mac!)
so, like most things, it required an extra step to update itunes; no biggie.

anyway, probably better reasons to not use 3rd party hacks..! (but a LOT of people use something custom...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 12:04 PM

I get this, too. I check the box "Don't warn me again", but it does every time I start it.

I don't have anything fancy on my system so I don't understand why it is happening.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 03:46 PM

For the The iTunes Library file cannot be saved error. I ended up exporting the library and podcasts as an xml file. Trashing the current file in the Music>iTunes folder and reimporting the XML file ... seems to work fine now.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 10:30 PM

For the The iTunes Library file cannot be saved error. I ended up exporting the library and podcasts as an xml file. Trashing the current file in the Music>iTunes folder and reimporting the XML file ... seems to work fine now.
That does it. Export the library then trash the library database file (usually a few MB). Reimport your exported library and it works.

Thanks!
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jul 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules