Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The war in Iraq, a lesson for the future?

The war in Iraq, a lesson for the future? (Page 2)
paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 07:25 PM

I'm not saying we needed to rush into a war. We just weren't savvy.

Just an example. Take Chirac - he was NO visionary, and no French person thinks he's a hero for taking the one stand of his entire career as president (I think he went after the big hypermarchés at some point ages ago). Anyway he could have been finessed. He LOVED us - he was the first head of state over here after the towers fell. He was a frigging soda jerk in the US at one point. He and Clinton were thick as thieves.

We could have USED him, not forced him to take a stand against us by bullying him and our other allies. It's sad really. Just one example of a prime relationship we stepped over because we had no patience for diplomacy. It's like we were playing chess to lose or something.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
ebuddy said the same thing, and used it to justify a $3 trillion war. But that doesn't make sense. What does it matter if sanctions weren't resolving the issue? They were controlling the issue and saving us trillions of dollars, which is quite good enough for me.
Except for the fact that in your $3 trillion dollar figure, you're including money spent on prior actions in Iraq while sanctions were at play. Does not compute.
ebuddy

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 06:12 PM

I didn/t mean to be disrespectful to the people who got involved in this peace keeping thing by making a funny question. I really hope everyone can return home safe as soon as possible
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules