Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for a nice way to say "I quit"

Looking for a nice way to say "I quit"
PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 09:52 AM

Hi, I am doing voluntary work for a really interesting commission, but after about 5 months of hard work it becomes more and more obvious I can't invest time in it without sacrificing my regular work (which is by itself philanthropical of nature) and evening study (which is really time-consuming and stressful).

Now this is an international commission that has really nice and skillful people working for it, and I am about to disembark in the busiest time in which they need every help they can get. What is a nice way to say I need to quit?

It needs elements of appraisal for the good work they are doing, but without the time-pressed me, who is doing good work somewhere else..
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 20, 2010, 10:23 AM

It's easier than you think. I run a volunteer organization with about 2500 members and perhaps 100 of those are active in the group's operations. As a manager of the organization, there is little more frustrating to me than someone who has overcommitted themselves but won't step down.
Just write a letter or email stating why you're leaving; it's not complicated.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2010, 10:30 AM

i was volunteering at a local animal shelter (non profit; not run by the state/local governments) and they understood about me not being able to cover a few night and weekend shifts anymore. they deal with the turnover. ANY extra time they can get volunteers to cover is icing on their cake.

i simply told them my professional life required additional demands and that i couldn't pick up the sifts anymore. simple and to the point.

-Q-
Apr 20, 2010, 10:58 AM

As the previous posters said, be honest, be appreciative for being a part of the organization, be brief and be gone.

My last resignation letter was two sentences. But I also didn't really like the company or working there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 20, 2010, 11:00 AM

Send them an exploding pet.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2010, 11:24 AM

Seriously though, what they said, you need to concentrate on work and study and thanks for the time with them.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2010, 11:33 AM

"It's not you, it's me."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 03:23 AM

thanks, I knew it shouldn't be too hard
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules