Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dolphins are Awesome

Dolphins are Awesome
gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2013, 07:34 PM

Amazing footage. It still amazes me, not that it probably should, how much intelligence we keep stumbling onto out in the rest of the natural world.

Dolphins form self-made 'raft' to try and save dying friend | CTV News

A big for trying to help a friend in need.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2013, 08:39 PM

Probably the smartest creatures alive! Here's a video of a dolphin approaching divers so one of them can help him get a fishing line untangled from its fin! Actualit� > En vid�o : un dauphin bless� demande de l�aide aux plongeurs !

I read a similar story where a few dolphins approached a boat, signaled that they wanted to be followed and lead the boat to a dolphin stranded in a fishing net!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2013, 10:58 PM

One particular pod of dolphins would swim near my great uncle's fishing boat almost every day (he was a commercial fisherman in the Fla Keys) and he'd throw them scraps and extra pieces of bait. The whole time he'd talk to them and they would "talk" back. Well, one day while working on something in the water, which is ~30' deep at the docks, he started having a severe muscle spasm (turned out it was a mild stroke). He was able to reach a rope and keep his head above water, but couldn't get out. At that point my uncle tried calling for help, but couldn't get anyone's attention, however some of those dolphins were nearby. Immediately the dolphins started clamoring and breaching, creating a scene, and some people walked over to see what was going on. In no time those guys were able to get him out of the water and went and called for an ambulance. It's very possible that the pod saved his life, and from then on he had a real affection for them (and threw in a lot more fish).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Probably the smartest creatures alive! Here's a video of a dolphin approaching divers so one of them can help him get a fishing line untangled from its fin! Actualit� > En vid�o : un dauphin bless� demande de l�aide aux plongeurs !

I read a similar story where a few dolphins approached a boat, signaled that they wanted to be followed and lead the boat to a dolphin stranded in a fishing net!
That's remarkable. Great that the diver realized what was going on and was able to help. I'm sure he'll remember that for a looooong time.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
One particular pod of dolphins would swim near my great uncle's fishing boat almost every day (he was a commercial fisherman in the Fla Keys) and he'd throw them scraps and extra pieces of bait. The whole time he'd talk to them and they would "talk" back. Well, one day while working on something in the water, which is ~30' deep at the docks, he started having a severe muscle spasm (turned out it was a mild stroke). He was able to reach a rope and keep his head above water, but couldn't get out. At that point my uncle tried calling for help, but couldn't get anyone's attention, however some of those dolphins were nearby. Immediately the dolphins started clamoring and breaching, creating a scene, and some people walked over to see what was going on. In no time those guys were able to get him out of the water and went and called for an ambulance. It's very possible that the pod saved his life, and from then on he had a real affection for them (and threw in a lot more fish).
No kidding. THAT is an amazing story.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2013, 03:09 PM

We can already sign with apes, I really would like to see us pursue trying to communicate with dolphins.

CentralParkMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2013, 03:10 PM

For the past century, or so a group of dolphins off the coast of Laguna, Brazil have had a working relationship with local fisherman. Really interesting stuff! I've never seen this kind of inter species communication before. I'm really curious how this originally began. Here's a link a found really quickly - Dolphins help fishermen to catch fish - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News

But if you're really interested, check out YouTube... I believe the video series title is something like 'the intelligence of dolphins' (three part series). Cool stuff!

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2013, 01:49 AM

The evidence is finally strong that otther animals also have both smarts and pretty much the same emotional reactions as the human beast!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2013, 04:35 PM

The fact that despite al the study of dolphin and whale communication we have effectively zero idea what they are saying is pretty strong evidence that if we ever discover a signal from another world we would have no chance at all of ever deciphering it. In fact my guess is we wouldn't even recognise it as a signal at all.

ps Dolphins (like bow ties) are cool. If somewhat thuggish
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
It still amazes me, not that it probably should, how much intelligence we keep stumbling onto out in the rest of the natural world.
Speaking of intelligent animals this horse was on a news site today

Houdini Horse | Watch the video - Yahoo! Screen

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
We can already sign with apes, I really would like to see us pursue trying to communicate with dolphins.
We already know what they would say.

Originally Posted by dolphins
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2013, 06:13 AM

More like...
Originally Posted by dolphins
So long, and thanks for killing all the fish. Jerks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules