Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What made you smile today?

What made you smile today?
Valetinea
Banned
Mar 5, 2013, 05:29 AM

What made you smile today?
For me, it is the rainbow after rain in the sky.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2013, 06:15 AM

I'm still waiting.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2013, 11:02 AM

Playing with the dog.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'm still waiting.
Usually happens when I get off work...

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2013, 01:31 PM

This:

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2013, 04:46 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2013, 08:53 PM

Playing with my little girl (she has a new puppy, a Papillon). She calls it a "kitty", not knowing there's a difference, so we named the dog Kitty.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2013, 09:51 PM

That's actually a decent name for a Papillon.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2013, 04:40 AM

I guess any dog owner could relate to this…

My dog: the paradox - The Oatmeal

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Playing with my little girl (she has a new puppy, a Papillon). She calls it a "kitty", not knowing there's a difference, so we named the dog Kitty.
My dog is named Puppy. He just turned 7 but its still an apt name . He made me smile today.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2013, 07:18 AM

Like "Monsters, Inc."...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Like "Monsters, Inc."...
I suppose so, now that you mention it. It's cute as can be.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This:

Ooh. What triggered it?

andi*pandi
Mar 6, 2013, 10:44 AM

Not sure, but she seemed like an astroturfer, if not a straight out spammer.

Thanks for the Oatmeal link, another smile for today. The dog is always happy to see you, for sure. But she does like chewing things, ripping things, destroying things. She ripped her bed so stuffing was going everywhere, so last night I taught the kids to sew and we fixed it. That was oddly satisfying. Hopefully it lasts a week or two.

P
Mar 6, 2013, 11:34 AM

Valetinea was banned for PM spam.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2013, 12:11 PM

Seeing flowers, tulips, and trees starting to bud in Central Park. I frickin hate winter, and the quicker it passes the happier I am.

Though I see we are due for some snow... the last hurrah of winter? That makes me smile.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2013, 03:32 PM

You know what else makes me smile? MY MOM!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2013, 04:14 PM

I'm not proud to revel in the misery of others, but I do it so seldom.

I was reading through the fallout of the Man U - Real game and I found myself absolutely beaming. Its about time United fans got a taste of their own medicine.

Sorry Matty.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You know what else makes me smile? MY MOM!

Your mom makes pretty Dakar smile too.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2013, 06:18 PM

I'm not proud to revel in the misery of others, but I do it so seldom.

I was reading through the fallout of the Man U - Real game and I found myself absolutely beaming. Its about time United fans got a taste of their own medicine.

Sorry Matty.
Horrid call, one of the worst I've ever seen.

<--- Gunners fan
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2013, 10:24 PM

Horrid call, one of the worst I've ever seen.

<--- Gunners fan
I still haven't seen it, and I don't care. In fact, the worse the call the better. I've seen referees hand games to Manchester United more times than I can count via bad decisions. Some of them truly appalling. I can think of at least 3 times its happened against Liverpool (my team) in recent years, including this season at Anfield and the season before last in the FA Cup. Howard Webb actually has a Facebook page devoted to the idea that he is on Ferguson's payroll.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2013, 11:28 PM

I still haven't seen it, and I don't care. In fact, the worse the call the better.
Yeah, you're a real peach, more wrongs will make things right and all that. If you can sit there and say that, without even having seen the "infraction", then your opinion is worthless.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2013, 06:05 AM

From what I hear it was a high foot which is always a risk.

While two wrongs don't make a right, finally seeing one go the other way against a veritable tide of countless dozens (if not hundreds) is very satisfying. Sometimes a taste of your own medicine is a very good thing. Not that I think it will humble any United fans for a second.

Ferguson has been deliberately manipulating refereeing decisions via the media to almost Jobsian levels for years now. He even seems to buy into his own RDF and in more recent seasons has complained endlessly for not being shown his usual favouritism in some games. His cheek is galling sometimes.

He even blacklisted the BBC for a number of years which had the effect that when he unblacklisted them, they would print whatever he told them to like his own personal PR agency.

I've had to suffer through some truly awful decisions going against my team and when its in United's favour the commentators and the media never even seem to clock the decisions as questionable, let alone bad. Berbatov diving like a swan in the FA Cup two years ago was dismissed as "Jamie Carragher should have known better than to give him the opportunity to do it."

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2013, 08:25 AM

I managed to bodge together a working eye mechanism for the Parker puppet(s) I'm making.

Made me happy for an hour or two.

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2013, 09:54 AM

You going to have a Parker army?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2013, 10:20 AM

I'd say it was a legit red or yellow. Neither would have been surprising; it was a judgment call as to the card.

Conclusion: game result made me smile, smile, smile
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 12:00 AM

This: The Veronica Mars Movie Project by Rob Thomas &mdash; Kickstarter

- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2013, 04:47 AM

P
Mar 14, 2013, 09:55 AM

This: The Veronica Mars Movie Project by Rob Thomas &mdash; Kickstarter

Would have, if they had shipped anything outside the US. Now it's already funded anyway.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2013, 10:08 AM

If they can do that, where is my firefly season two? Oh yes, fox sucks. Very cool of Warner Bros to allow this.

I've been meaning to rent Veronica Mars for a long time, I suppose I should get round to it!

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 10:15 AM

Firefly season 2? You got the whole thing crammed into an hour-and-a-half. That was unsatisfying or something?

PS: Veronica Mars is great. My ex did her master's thesis on it.

P
Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 AM

Yes, Joss Whedon got the chance to finish the story. Of course you could continue the story and make a "Serenity 2" or something, but the basic story he meant to tell has been told. Besides, Joss could probably find funding for such a movie through other channels if he wanted to - Avengers made a LOT of money.

I think Nathan Fillion mentioned something about wanting to make another Firefly movie once, which caused some people to start raising money. Nathan thought it was a scam and shut them down.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, Joss Whedon got the chance to finish the story.
In a "**** you" sorta way. He did the same thing with the end of season 7 of Angel.

Joss can be capricious IMO.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 14, 2013, 11:20 AM

Nudie pix via text.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2013, 11:33 AM

Worthless without pics, etc. etc. PM me.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 06:23 PM

Would have, if they had shipped anything outside the US. Now it's already funded anyway.
Anything over the 2M mark goes to special FX and better location shooting. It isn't wasted, and 2M isn't very much for a feature film.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 06:37 PM

That's plenty for a VM type thing if all the above-the-line players defer their salary.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 08:13 PM

Deferring salary is key, they're all working for percentage, which is quite risky. The reality is, they need ~$4m to see it done well, and it appears to be trending in that direction.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 09:26 PM

FWIW, Angel only ran 5 seasons.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 09:51 PM

Of course, you're right. I was thinking of the Buffy season count.

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2013, 11:31 PM

Well the buffy season 5 ender was a kick in the pants.

Apparently I'm not the only one asking this question:
Joss Whedon On Kickstarter And "Firefly": "It Doesn&#39;t Just Open The Floodgates."

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2013, 11:56 PM

I'm in the camp who thinks it would have been a truly brilliant ending to the show.

Season six was the kick in the friggin pants.

P
Mar 15, 2013, 04:02 AM

Anything over the 2M mark goes to special FX and better location shooting. It isn't wasted, and 2M isn't very much for a feature film.
That's the thing - it won't even nearly fund the entire film. WB will still do that, and they are just using this thing to judge interest. I guess the interest is there.

P
Mar 15, 2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
In a "**** you" sorta way. He did the same thing with the end of season 7 of Angel.

Joss can be capricious IMO.
I think that the Serenity film was basically the ending of Firefly season 2 - closing of the big story arc. Some of the events felt like they were entire episodes squeezed into 5 minute scenes. You could make more movies, of course, but they would be sequels rather than tying up the loose threads.

The ending of Angel is...weird. The entire season 5 was off, and then he wanted to go out with a bang when they took the show away from him.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2013, 05:15 AM

That's the thing - it won't even nearly fund the entire film. WB will still do that, and they are just using this thing to judge interest. I guess the interest is there.
Not according to the interview with WB execs, they're just handling distribution.
- Thomas Paine

P
Mar 15, 2013, 06:11 AM

They own the rights to it, though. Are they just getting some sort of license fee and distribution fee? If so, $2 million doesn't seem like nearly enough.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2013, 07:58 AM

Popped into the nn lounge for the first time in 10 months and saw the old gang is still around.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2013, 10:30 AM

They own the rights to it, though. Are they just getting some sort of license fee and distribution fee? If so, $2 million doesn't seem like nearly enough.

I don't see why they couldn't make it for $2M. In many respects it doesn't need to be a lot more than a double length episode and if the original show cost more than $1M an ep it was only to pay the cast who are all working cheap this time apparently. Distribution will be much cheaper if they stick to digital instead of 35mm prints.

I'd bet WB will waive their license fee in exchange for a big cut of the box office and they'll make cash from merchandise too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2013, 11:58 AM

I think that the Serenity film was basically the ending of Firefly season 2 - closing of the big story arc. Some of the events felt like they were entire episodes squeezed into 5 minute scenes. You could make more movies, of course, but they would be sequels rather than tying up the loose threads.

The ending of Angel is...weird. The entire season 5 was off, and then he wanted to go out with a bang when they took the show away from him.
I felt most of season five was the bestest thing ever. All the good guys thought they could work inside the system, but it was clearly destroying them, in a very slow-motion train wreck way. It gets about halfway through the wreck then we get a few episodes of "SIKE!!!" and it's over.

Blech.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2013, 12:05 PM

I don't see why they couldn't make it for $2M. In many respects it doesn't need to be a lot more than a double length episode and if the original show cost more than $1M an ep it was only to pay the cast who are all working cheap this time apparently. Distribution will be much cheaper if they stick to digital instead of 35mm prints.
That's what I was thinking. No ATL salary, shoot it on a RED.

I'd make it work if it meant I could screw the Frog out of their cut.

Forum Links
Forum Rules