Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sexism @work?

Sexism @work?
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2015, 02:34 PM

So a woman who has worked for our NPO for a few years walked up to me last week and asked why the men there made more money than her. She'd been with us the same amount of time, she'd never been written-up, and she was angry that she made less money. So in earnest I said I'd look into it, and I did, wanting to make sure there was no wage inequality going on. She was right, there was some inequality going on and I promptly raised the wages of the men in question.

See, to be full-time in our office a person must work a minimum of 34 hours /wk. The woman who was complaining always worked 34-35 hours each week, never more, never less. The men, however, both worked 45 hour weeks, not only maxing out their 40 hour regular pay cap, but also working the 5 hours of overtime they're allowed to work (everyone can work up to 45 hours, if they want to make some extra money). The guys did this every. single. week. Also, their productivity was higher, roughly proportional to the amount of extra hours they were putting in, while each of the men were making ~$1 less /hour than the women they work with.

The only thing I can figure is she'd seen one of the men's pay vouchers, looked at the final total, and then assumed that she was being cheated. Because when she cornered me 2 days later and I politely explained, in detail, what had been going on, she became rather upset:

"That's not fair! Why are they allowed to work overtime?" (It's been explained to everyone at the office that they can all work 45 hours, during numerous meetings. She'd even signed a paper stating she understood this. (No, she doesn't remember signing the paper, just 10 months ago.))
"I do more work in my 35 hours than they do in 45!" (A patently false statement.)
"They aren't really working 45 hours!" (How would she know, seeing as how, according to the time sheets, she leaves the office before they do, every day? They even come in on some Saturdays, she doesn't.)
"I'm a single mom, I deserve more!" (One of the men is a single dad, he doesn't?)
"This is exactly what they're talking about when they're highlighting the Gender Wage Gap!" (Ironically, I do believe she's right. She refuses to grasp logic, too.)
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2015, 04:47 PM

Not that this is a particularly insightful observation, but that sounds like a crummy employee.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2015, 07:23 PM

Forward this to HR. Make sure all future meetings with her surrounding the topic have a third party present. Make notations in her file of any future behavior that could be construed as retalitory or of decreased productivity as a result of the situation not being resolved to her satisfaction... because you're going to have to fire her eventually.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2015, 08:12 PM

Assuming any of this is actually true ... then this lady doesn't have a leg to stand on.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2015, 09:39 AM

Bottom line she is working LESS and taking home less. SHE is the one who is a stupid employee. IS she unobservant as well?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2015, 07:47 PM

Just make sure to gather more data points before you write all women off as being as lazy and entitled as you make this one sound.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Not that this is a particularly insightful observation, but that sounds like a crummy employee.
She's not that bad, I think she's just gotten caught up in all the garbage about the wage gap and was looking for a boogie man that didn't exist.

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Forward this to HR. Make sure all future meetings with her surrounding the topic have a third party present. Make notations in her file of any future behavior that could be construed as retalitory or of decreased productivity as a result of the situation not being resolved to her satisfaction... because you're going to have to fire her eventually.
The office manager was pissed over her ambushing me like that, I'm not sure how much longer she'll be there.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Forum Links
Forum Rules