Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Revolution

View Poll Results: would you buy a 3D system from nintendo
Poll Options:
Yes I buy everything nintendo releases 14 votes (48.28%)
Depends what games come from it 5 votes (17.24%)
maybe 3 votes (10.34%)
no unless it has 4 player gaming or you use polarized glasses 1 votes (3.45%)
No definitely Not 6 votes (20.69%)
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
Revolution
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 02:24 PM

NIntendo's new system. Why was it on the frontpage of MacNN? do they have inside information or is it competition for the Mac as a "gaming" platform? The article says next generation as in playing not graphics(graphics have pretty much reached their limit on a 640x480 60 frames tv anyway) I'm thinking 3D. full color virtual boy with good controllers. and more games

viruscool
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2004, 05:56 PM

I doubt very much that it will be a 3D console, but then again with Nintendo you never know what they're going to do.
For the poll i voted 'Yes i buy everything nintendo releases'
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 05:18 AM

'Yes i buy everything Nintendo releases'

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
NIntendo's new system. Why was it on the frontpage of MacNN?
they might have put it up because there are a few rumors going around that it will be running on a modified version of the PowerPC G5.

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
they might have put it up because there are a few rumors going around that it will be running on a modified version of the PowerPC G5.
why would nintendo spend money on a better processor when the biggest problem with their systems is memory

not saying thats there's a problem with nintendo's system just saying for a gaming system it has minimal ram.

http://www.nintendo.com/techspecgcn

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:43 PM

why would nintendo spend money on a better processor when the biggest problem with their systems is memory

not saying thats there's a problem with nintendo's system just saying for a gaming system it has minimal ram.

besides more likely they are just using a generic powerpc from ibm probably custom made like the gamecube.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 02:12 PM

It won' be full 3D. Nintendo has already stated Revolution will work with TV's and computer displays.

One of the Virtual Boy's biggest faults is that no one could watch you play. Most of the time this is one of the biggest secondary forms of entertainment. I doubt Nintendo would make this mistake again.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 03:44 PM

besides more likely they are just using a generic powerpc from ibm probably custom made like the gamecube.
that is what I meant, that the rumor is that IBM will be modifying the processor used for the G5 for use in a console. I didn't mean I thought they would buy it from Apple. Everyone knows the G5 is an IBM chip. That goes without say.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 03:54 PM

Less memory than the Xbox, but more than the PS2. 40MB is definitely enough for developing games of this generation with the effects and level of detail (textures, geometry, etc.) that these consoles can handle today. Besides, Nintendo's GameCube has the fastest RAM of any of the consoles today, which is part of the reason load times are very fast on the GC compared to the PS2 or Xbox.

As for the Revolution, I have no doubt that I'll be buying it. I'm excited to see what they have planned for new, innovative gameplay. My guess would be it has something to do with the controller, or the way that we control our games. Something totally new in that area, I bet. I'm psyched. Same for the Nintendo DS, too.

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
It won' be full 3D. Nintendo has already stated Revolution will work with TV's and computer displays.

One of the Virtual Boy's biggest faults is that no one could watch you play. Most of the time this is one of the biggest secondary forms of entertainment. I doubt Nintendo would make this mistake again.
you can still have 3d on a television or computer screen throught the use of a helmet that has shutters and alternates between left and right eye giving each eye the slightly different picture that it needs or through glasses with polarized lenses that block out certain wavelengths(colors) of light sees a diferent picture better than helmets because it has double the frame rate(helmets use one frame for one eye one for the other)

some of the virtual boys faults were also no multi player one color and only obout 10 games not a good selection.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 04:07 PM

"Yes I buy everything nintendo releases"

That's scary! Anyone who says that needs their head examined.... looks like about 50% of people need their head examined. No big surprise there though.

For all you people, I have some official bottled Nintendo factory conditioned air. For a limited time only, it can be all yours for just $99.99... for details see www.imamoron.com

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 07:14 PM

I really don't know how good this poll is. Do half of mac fanatics all own all of the nintendo systems? probably not.

( Last edited by macaddict0001; Jun 17, 2004 at 01:09 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 12:10 AM

It was there since MacNN reports on "big" tech stories all the time.

Its just a basic "Big news items the editors of MacNN were interested in"

-Owl

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 06:24 PM

well I'm certain that it won't be a traditional game system probably with some new form of game play

macaddict0001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 12:04 AM

uhm yeah got some new information yeah so it will be based on the same chip that the 2.5 ghz g5 is. Also some stuff I diagnosed myself it will have two video outs and a variety of cables that come with it or you can pick one type of cable in addition to the rca that is standard. It will also come with custom ati graphics.

Forum Links
Forum Rules