Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook, superslow airport

macbook, superslow airport
PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 03:01 PM

Hi, I got this macbook core2duo 2ghz 2gb from work, it works fine (at work) but at home my WIFI is extremely slow. It takes 15 minutes to load a page like www.nu.nl, if it loads at all.

I connect to the internet using an airport graphite basestation (type 1) that works fine with the imac g5 I have been using simultaneously. in fact the macbooks are the only computers that i have problems with.

I have had more macbooks (different models) from work to test this wifi-issue at home, and they ALL suffer from the same issue ; slow internet.

i have done all updates, it doesnt make a difference. I googled for answers, seems apple replaces the airportcards. isn't there a firmware fix somewhere? thx
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 11:14 AM

why do all macbooks suffer from the same problem? are airport basestations incompatible?

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2007, 03:14 PM

Both my core duo and core 2 duo Macbooks load that page in about two seconds while connected through an Airport Express.

I'd first try turning off IPV6 under the Airport TCP/IP setting to see if that makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, verify that the graphite is indeed up to date with firmware.

Finally, swap out to the graphite for another base station.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2007, 03:41 PM

Have you installed the very latest AirPort upgrade on your MacBook? There were some problems with the newer AirPort cards, but the last few software/firmware upgrades have apparently fixed those.

You could also 1) delete the location you currently have set up and create a new one (or just create a new one if you're using "Automatic," 2) restart the base station (if you haven't already-I'd do this anyway) and 3) do both of the above AND restart your MB AFTER the base station has been power cycled.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 04:57 PM

thanks, setting up a new location helped a lot !! instead of 15 minutes it now loads in about 20 seconds (it pauses before starting to load the page)

still i am not too satisfied with the performance and might want to update the firmware of the airport (2006-002) but apple seems to have removed it from their site. the particular url leads to nowhere.

(thanks for the tip ghporter, but i cant access the basestation from the macbook, weird, but i can from the imac g5, though it didn't result in a faster connection. my connection seems like 56k)
( Last edited by PB2K; Jun 3, 2007 at 05:07 PM. )

rem
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2007, 05:13 PM

My wifi router was slow due to interference with a close-by router on the same channel as mine. You can use a free program like MacStumbler to see your airport basestation's signal strength and channel along with others in your range. Its best to pick a channel that no one else is using. Goede avond .

Forum Links
Forum Rules