Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP magsafe price variations

MBP magsafe price variations
amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 11:42 AM

I'm looking at getting a 2nd magsafe, one for the road, the original staying put at home. Apple hasn't licensed the magsafe to anyone, AFAIK, but there're tons of counterfeits out there, as you can see from the $26.74 price on this page:

Amazon.com: magsafe 85w

Interestingly enough, there's a "gen-oo-wine" retail package MA938LL/A for $59 here:

Amazon.com: Apple 85W Magsafe Portable Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro) MA938LL/A (Retail Packaging): Electronics

Given that Apple's price is $79 how likely is it that we're now seeing counterfeit retail packaging as well?

Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (for 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Obviously, I'm looking for the real thing, but any price savings are welcome. Counterfeits aren't likely to last as long (if Apple's magsafes can be said to last very long, given inadequate strain-relief on the ends).

The price difference with freight is only $10, i.e. $65 vs $75 for the Amazon Prime price. Not a huge savings, but nothing to sneeze at, either.

So, anybody here buy a cheaper magsafe? Should I trust the retail packaging at $59 plus $5 freight?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 01:23 PM

I bought generic brand $60 adapters. They're nearly identical except there's no Apple logo and the Apple extension cable doesn't fit on it (though you can still connect a normal power cable to it.)

They seem to work OK.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 01:32 PM

I read one review that said that the counterfeit magsafes substituted a plastic contact where the grounding-plug metal contact would be when using the grounding 3-prong extension--IOW they were also counterfeiting the grounding protection (=zilch.)

Question is, as always with China, is the factory contracted by Apple also selling on the side, or just some enterprising 3rd factory supplying the grey market on the side?

PS and off-topic, I really enjoyed the sand-table thread.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 03:22 PM

Chinese Cisco products are pretty popular. They're the Cisco routers and switches manufactured after 6PM, and sold at 1/5 the price.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 04:28 PM

There might also Be old stock of the bigger first-generation power supplies out there - genuine, just 40% larger than the current version.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 05:22 PM

Well, the $59 version listed above is supposed to be the latest model, isn't it? How likely is it that a 3rd party vendor on amazon.com can sell a retail-packaged version for $15 less than amazon?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I read one review that said that the counterfeit magsafes substituted a plastic contact where the grounding-plug metal contact would be when using the grounding 3-prong extension--IOW they were also counterfeiting the grounding protection (=zilch.).
Good catch. No MBP user should be using adapters without proper grounding. Unless of course they like feeling the buzz of 30V DC trickle currents when they touch their MBP. Apart from that it's just a bad idea to circumvent a safety measure that helps keep you and your surroundings (fire) safe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2009, 05:23 AM

My PowerBooks had 115V AC, not 30V DC.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 06:25 AM

Trickle current to ground?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2009, 07:11 AM

Measured against ground. Every MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4 I've encountered has had AC, not DC (it wouldn't give that tingle/sizzle feeling otherwise), and both machines I've measured had 115V (at 230V mains power), though obviously extremely low current.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2009, 10:58 AM

I just bought a power supply for my 12" PB G4. Here's the item, and note the 3-prong grounded cord.

Amazon.com: Generic Apple MAC Laptop AC Adapter A1021 for iBook PowerBook G4 (24.5V, 2.65A, 65W): Electronics

What I actually received was a 2-prong non-polarized plug. It's working, was only $15, so I'm not going to bother dealing with returning it. It's got much, much better strain relief than Apple's dismally designed power supply. This response is pretty much what the 3rd party suppliers hope for, natch, but it takes so much time and blood pressure to deal with clowns, why bother for $15?

I'm saying that the above $59 supposed magsafe is using Apple's photo, but what I'd actually receive is anyone's guess--but most likely it would be one of the $25 counterfeit magsafes, marked up to $59. Do I want to be the guinea pig who tests this out? Well, hope-for-the-bargain springs eternal, but as of right now, no.

macfix
Nov 14, 2009, 05:25 PM

If you're interested I have a 60-watt macbook magsafe power adapter from the Apple Store.
It's still sealed in the package.
This is not a knock-off, but it is not the 85 watt model.
I can ship it to you for $50.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2009, 08:28 PM

sounds like a good deal, but I need the 85 w.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2009, 09:01 PM

I read one review that said that the counterfeit magsafes substituted a plastic contact where the grounding-plug metal contact would be when using the grounding 3-prong extension--IOW they were also counterfeiting the grounding protection (=zilch.)
Review probably paid for by Apple.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2009, 12:55 AM

Au contraire: turns out to have been a comment in an amazon review of the $26.70 adapter. Imagine that, an amazon customer comment that doesn't seem to have been planted.

Amazon.com: Laptop AC Adapter for Apple Macbook MagSafe A1172, MA357LL/A, MA938LL/A, 85W: Electronics

here's the comment:

"3.0 out of 5 stars Not a genuine apple power supply, August 27, 2009
By ...........
"Despite the fact that this item lists Apple item numbers in its title, it is NOT an apple power supply. It is a knockoff made to look very similar - the entire design, the gray type, etc. "

You would think from its design that its two-pronged tip could be replaced with a grounded three-pronged receptacle, just like the apple power supply. The grounded cord that comes with Apple power supplies can be used , but it will NOT ground this unit, because the metal piece that conveys the ground in apple's unit is replaced by a plastic one in this. As a result, when you use this unit to charge an aluminum laptop you are likely to feel a funny buzzing/tickling vibration when you lightly move your fingers along the laptop's chassis, whereas you would not if it were properly grounded. This doesn't affect the computer (I don't think) but I personally find the sensation annoying."

"I take off one star for lack of grounding and another for the fact that the company tries to pass it off as an Apple product, or at least makes no effort to keep a buyer from reasonably concluding (incorrectly) that it is a genuine Apple product. "

"Still, if these things don't disturb you it seems like a good deal. It worked fine out of the box. It remains to be seen how well it holds up."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2009, 01:38 AM

Ah, I see. They're talking about the metal disk where you swap the travel plug for the extended cable. I take back my suspicion of Apple.

I think my extended cable is still sitting wrapped in my box. I don't think the lack of a ground would bother me.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2009, 02:14 AM

Well, the majority of other comments on the cheap knock-offs talk about how the plastic melted--both the plastic plug and also the body of the adapter melting, or the adapter broke within 2 hours, or stuff like that. How the 85W adapter won't run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time, but how the buyer is "happy" with it only charging overnight--since they got it so cheap. Or how after the first return to amazon, the "distributor" calls up and asks to have the negative comment removed...

Very depressing reading. Makes you think that the dismal strain relief fault on the Apple magsafe is actually pretty darn perfect, compared to the competition.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2009, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think my extended cable is still sitting wrapped in my box. I don't think the lack of a ground would bother me.
But maybe it should.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2009, 03:21 AM

Very depressing reading. Makes you think that the dismal strain relief fault on the Apple magsafe is actually pretty darn perfect, compared to the competition.
I wouldn't necessarily call it depressing. But when a competitor is dirt-cheap next to an fairly expensive original part there's usually a good reason. I'd never risk burning down my house with a $25 knock-off. Sure $79 is a lot of money for an 85W MagSafe charger, but to me there is no question that an item claiming to do the same for one third of the price can only be bogus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules