Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama can't speak English proper.

Obama can't speak English proper.
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 09:25 PM

I am very confused by this, they have to be some of the most badly formed sentences in US presidential history (bush and post alzheimer Regan not included), is it the President or the journalist?

Examples:

"Two points I want to make," Obama said of the heckler, "he really should like buy a ticket to, if he wants to demonstrate, buy a ticket to a guy who doesn't support his point of view."

The other point, Obama said, "is maybe he didn't read the newspapers because we are working with congress as we speak to roll back 'don't ask, don't tell.'"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 28, 2010, 10:22 PM

At least 0bama would put this thread where it belongs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
At least 0bama would put this thread where it belongs.
Where the sun never shines ?

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 05:41 PM

Perhaps if the thread title said properly the topic might have been taken more seriously?

OAW

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2010, 03:07 AM

The fact that is dawning on Americans--and startling many, privately--is that Obama is less intelligent than Bush. With regards to their intellectual and rhetorical capacities, they are each converse of the other.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2010, 08:21 AM

There are very few people who speak well extemporaneously, and very few of them are politicians. Sure, the Pres ain't Steve Martin (in his first album, there's a segment where he gets heckled from the audience. He pauses a beat, and then says "Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer."), but he got his point across. Not smoothly, not cleanly, but he got it across.

I don't think a lot of people understand that George W. Bush is a smart man who doesn't speak well in public. Barack Obama is a smart man who doesn't speak well in public unless he has his TelePrompTer (showing that he seems to have learned something from W's gaffes). But the difference between the two seems to be that W's message was something he spoke on because he wanted to show his involvement in the message, while Barack wants to get a finely crafted, specifically worded version of his message across. That TelePrompTer helps him avoid Mr. Bush's wording flubs, but it sure doesn't keep him from demonstrating that some words aren't in his daily vocabulary. "Corpsman" comes to mind... I'm not sure which bugs me more, "nuk u ler" or "corpse man."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I don't think a lot of people understand that George W. Bush is a smart man who doesn't speak well in public.
Barack Obama speaks well in public due to TelePrompters, but that doesn't make him automatically smart.
Fixed that for ya.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 05:28 PM

I disagree. Obama has fared well in many debates and interviews and stuff without teleprompters. So much so that that entire notion is ridiculous, not to mention tired. How can people argue on one hand that he is overexposed in interviews and stuff yet also say that he consistently represents himself poorly in those interviews? What about those televised health care debate session with Republicans while he was president? He fared well there too...

What is fair to say is that he doesn't consistently speak well without a teleprompter, but who does? I would say that Bush didn't speak well, period, teleprompter or no.

Just trying to be accurate here, is all.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Fixed that for ya.

-t
Gone to law school yourself? Attorneys are smart because they have to be to get through the school and pass the bar. Now I have to point out that there's a difference between "intelligent" and "smart," and "bright" is a completely different issue. By my definition, Mr. Obama is "smart," but I can't say I think all of what he's done (or all that he says he supports) is particularly "bright."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Gone to law school yourself? Attorneys are smart because they have to be to get through the school and pass the bar. Now I have to point out that there's a difference between "intelligent" and "smart," and "bright" is a completely different issue. By my definition, Mr. Obama is "smart," but I can't say I think all of what he's done (or all that he says he supports) is particularly "bright."
That I agree with. What he does and says might be book-smart or nice theory, but utterly useless to completely retarded in the real world.

No matter where you look, economy, health care, he offers fire-sure ways to bankrupt the country.

Smart?

Yes, if you have the coin to "play" this trade and profit from the confiscation of money and liberty from the American public.

-t

finboy
Jun 7, 2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I am very confused by this, they have to be some of the most badly formed sentences in US presidential history (bush and post alzheimer Regan not included), is it the President or the journalist?

Examples:

"Two points I want to make," Obama said of the heckler, "he really should like buy a ticket to, if he wants to demonstrate, buy a ticket to a guy who doesn't support his point of view."

The other point, Obama said, "is maybe he didn't read the newspapers because we are working with congress as we speak to roll back 'don't ask, don't tell.'"
At least he didn't say that he wanted to "axe" somebody a question.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2010, 08:19 AM

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Perhaps if the thread title said properly the topic might have been taken more seriously?

OAW
"Correctly" would have been the most appropriate word.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2010, 10:38 AM

I've been to English Proper once. It's between English Major and English Minor, near the English Channel.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules